Norwegian tourist fatally injured by speed boat rotors near Koh Tao

webfact

One wonders do these dive boats fly Alpha when they have divers in the water and is it compulsory for the dive boats to have propeller guards fitted?

Probably a more important question is, do the speedboat cox'n's know what Alpha is?

I realize this accident was caused by a passing speedboat. The question about the prop guards above is more directed at a dive boat picking up a diver in distress. When a propeller comes in contact with human flesh, it is not a pretty sight. I have seen the results on three different occasions.

RIP to the unfortunate victim of this careless accident.

why o why are divers and speedboats allowed to be in the same area this poor girl just had no chance of knowing about the speed boats pressence

but i expect the statement will be som nam na woukld have not happened if she hadden't been there

common sense that this will happen

khao tao is the island run by uncaring money grabbing incompedence fools

so on Khao Tao one cover up not yet compleated and now one tragic accident that just should not have happened

RIP another farang

• Like 1

Copied from the Scuba Junction website.

"Safety and Quality first ….with an eco friendly touch" is our motto.

All our dive groups (courses and fun dives) are limited to maximum 4 divers to ensure close supervision and a more enjoyable time under water.

This poor young girl was entitled to the supervision and safety that she paid for and instead she died through lack of it. The tragedy is even more useless as we all know that after a few days she will be forgotten and it will be business as usual for the incompetents that run the water sports in this country.

R.I.P. Silji.

I would be putting a spotlight on the conduct of the diving course. There are many ways a careful instructor could reduce the risks of this happening to his students, but off course the boat driver also needs to be educated in the code.

• Like 1

Another tragic incident where a young foreign tourist has lost her life most likely due to negligence. Seems the speed boat was a full throttle at impact. Most probably a lack of proper safety at sea training of the speedboat driver. To blame him when he's probably been taught by his big brother is probably not the correct way to deal with this either. Cowboy speedboat and beach operators all lack the proper safety code training to be operating the horsepowers they're driving.

i.e. "Keep a proper watch" "Keep at a safe vessel speed where-ever divers are down" and / or "Always fly a dive flag" "Always deploy a dive sausage and stay close to it while re-surfacing - especially where diving where boats operate" etc. Training, training, training - and 5 year renewal exams etc. is the only way forward IMHO.

It's made sader by the knowledge that it could probably have been prevented with just a little bit of proactive marine park and/or marine department planning and policing. i.e. safer zoning, collision avoidance safety training and some follow up policing for everyone making their living off tourists on (or under) the Thai seas.

The stats don't lie. Where safety is the national priority, laws are training is mandated, laws are enforced and as a direct consequence less innocents die in recreational boating accicdents. This accicent should not have happened. My thoughts are with this young girl's family and friends. RIP Silji.

• Like 2

Another tragic incident where a young foreign tourist has lost her life most likely due to negligence. Seems the speed boat was a full throttle at impact. Most probably a lack of proper safety at sea training of the speedboat driver. To blame him when he's probably been taught by his big brother is probably not the correct way to deal with this either. Cowboy speedboat and beach operators all lack the proper safety code training to be operating the horsepowers they're driving.

i.e. "Keep a proper watch" "Keep at a safe vessel speed where-ever divers are down" and / or "Always fly a dive flag" "Always deploy a dive sausage and stay close to it while re-surfacing - especially where diving where boats operate" etc. Training, training, training - and 5 year renewal exams etc. is the only way forward IMHO.

It's made sader by the knowledge that it could probably have been prevented with just a little bit of proactive marine park and/or marine department planning and policing. i.e. safer zoning, collision avoidance safety training and some follow up policing for everyone making their living off tourists on (or under) the Thai seas.

The stats don't lie. Where safety is the national priority, laws are training is mandated, laws are enforced and as a direct consequence less innocents die in recreational boating accicdents. This accicent should not have happened. My thoughts are with this young girl's family and friends. RIP Silji.

Damn good point Bloodnut.

When was the last time any of us saw a Policing patrol checking on the conduct and licensing of the boat operators (whether diving, para-sailing, fishing or whatever) on the water?

Once again, this would be good use of some of those tourist dollars but highly unlikely to happen here.

• Like 1

One wonders why the engine was on.

I took it to mean a passing boat, but your point is well made. ............R.I.P.

It does say------"a passing boat"

Anyway obviously too close to dive boat with no regard to safety----- my thoughts go to family to have such a tragedy at a time of year we all think of peace and happiness---RIP young lady

• Like 1

Why is it that dive shops are all drunks i dont want to judge scuba junction dive shop. But if you look on their fb page they posted a christmas greeting 3 days ago . And a few of the people (during the day) had a beer in their hand.

As a diver and a non drinker i dont dive in ko tao because a majority of the dive shops their are drunks.

Now i dont want to single out scuba junction. Having a small beer never hurt anyone. But its time the dive shops in ko tao cleaned up thier act..........

As a diver i wont dive on ko tao because its almost impossible to find a dive shop thier that aint drinkers. Its pathetic.

Lets get the facts. And maybe this poor girl . Who trusted the dive shop with her life. Will be an example that maybe now. Finally after all the thai greed and western dive shop that really just care about diving themselves and just use tourists as a meal ticket. Now maybe things will change.

I want more facts on this story. Boats should be watching out for snorkelers not running people over so they can make money . Just go to that island off the coast of ko tao where lomprayah takes hundreds to snorkel each day.

Finally what about jet skis on ko tao. Maybe its time to start to restrict thier activity. They can kill too.. And we all know jet ski people could be drunk

This womans life should be the first step now to change on ko tao and safety dont let her life be lost in vain

Edited by PoorSucker
removed all caps

I want more facts on this story and i want them now. I want thai visa forum to personally take up this story and follow it. This girls life should at least help future people going to the island . So sorry to her family even as a tourist myself that goes to ko tao im ashamed. And i want to know if the thai govt is spending adequate monies for trauma care on ko tao. How many people have to die on that island before somebody gets a clue. Its like the thais want u to get hurt thier. Money in the pocket for medical care, motorbike repair. This has gotten out of control greed

Edited by PoorSucker
removed all caps

The nation newspaper gave this story two sentences? Sometimes i wonder if the thai govt. Covers up stories that affect tourists.

For instance thier was a story of a woman on ko lanta a few years ago. She was killed by a box jellyfish. I heard the thai govt. Purposely didnt want that story to get out because it would hurt tourism. The thai govt. Should take peoples saftey as concern one. Now it could be the woman who died from jelly fish was allergic more than the average person to box jellyfish but then i heard box jellyfish were popping up on phuket beaches and the govt was hiding that fact as well. If thier are safety concerns i want the thai govt to freely expose them. Is this a democracy or a communist state

Edited by PoorSucker
removed all caps

When shallow diving or near the surface the instructor should first deploy an orange float to show boats that divers are below.

If the float was deployed you then have to rely on passing craft to have a lookout to spot it.

It would appear 1 or both of these safety precautions failed.

safety precautions in Thailand, never happen!!!! sad.png

upon further investigation I now see that two Russian divers died in the same province on the same day? they were diving alone. but who gave them air? a dive shop? now I can see if you have proper credentials that a dive shop gives you air. but if you are a newbie , why is a dive shop giving them air. this is ubsurd. 3 deaths due to dive accidents in same province in the same day. is Thailand totally out of control

hard to get accurate info on this story. but Im wondering if she was alive when taken out of water. the story as I can desipher it says she was hit and went down and divers searched for her for ten minutes to no avail.. well if she truly was hit on head by rotor and she went down for ten minutes she would have drowned. but I see a picture on internet of them working on her on ko tao. was she dead at scene or later. secondly what type of trauma unit do they have on ko tao ... do they have any quality service their? I had a small wart on ko tao which was cancerous and I went to ko samui and I didn't even feel good getting it removed their I ended up going to bkk.

maybe its time the thai govt keeps a helicopter on standby on ko tao for medical emergenices so people can have quality care in bkk. the thai govt will still pocket good money from people getting run over, but at least they will get good care I don't want to be insensitive to this gals death. but darn it when are the thais going to learn, their is so much dangerous activity that takes place on ko tao. medical services need to be improved their. just walking around ko tao u see battle scars daily from motorbike accidents . from drunken tourists. who don't wear shoes on a motorbike let alone a helmet. the thai police on ko tao care more about busting u for a joint than public safety.