Norwegian tourist fatally injured by speed boat rotors near Koh Tao

webfact

Now you see it, now you don’t.

http://www.samuitimes.com/koh-taos-scuba-junction-diving-co-says-fax-problems-caused-student-silje-mathisen-lose-1-million-baht-accidental-death-insurance/

After five or six months the Norwegians discover that the dive school Scuba Junction did not send a list of divers to the insurers.  

Silje Mathisen paid for a policy worth 1,000,000 but she got nothing.

”Sorry we did not prevent your daughter’s death”

”Oh yeah ... and sorry we took her premium for the insurance policy that  we didn’t organise. Fax was playing up. You understand? Right?  It’s not like we had email.”

• Like 1

sorry ive been offline cause i got banned from posting because i criticized pattaya.  i spoke to a freediver lady here she says ricky vanished because the perception is that in Thailand no one gets a fair trial.  the boat man will continue to be a boat man?  u would think he would change careers

Nobody missed you, except maybe your buddy (or alter ego).

Sent from my ASUS_X008D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, longtom said:

Nothing like some gratuitous rudeness when we can’t think of anything constructive to write!

It’s a shame some people just want to pick fights instead of discussing the topic. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, longtom said:

do u ever get the feeling the nay sayers here are dive shop workers on ko tao that want this kept hush hush..........no divers coming means no cig money for the dive workers here........

1 hour ago, Spectator2020 said:

http://www.samuitimes.com/koh-taos-scuba-junction-diving-co-says-fax-problems-caused-student-silje-mathisen-lose-1-million-baht-accidental-death-insurance/

After five or six months the Norwegians discover that the dive school Scuba Junction did not send a list of divers to the insurers.  

”Oh yeah ... and sorry we took her premium for the insurance policy that  we didn’t organise. Fax was playing up. You understand? Right?  It’s not like we had email.”

your tellingme that silje paid for a policy worth 1000000 ????????? 10000000 what dollars . baht . what .............secondly she got nothing.  im confused about your post regarding this issue. if a person pays for a policy shouldn't they get paid. im from usa i would have  a lawyer on that within hours........what kind of policy. can u lay out this part of story from the beginning.?

spectator my computer wont let me open up the samui times article regarding the insurance policy ........i did send a note to Norway embassy shaming them. if i was an American and got chopped to death by negligence i would assume my govt. would help out just a tiny for justice ...............and finally most importantly , i feel in my heart thier are alot of dive shop workers following this story but not responding..........part of the silent code on ko tao regarding this matter. remember no divers coming means no cig money for the dive shops. maybe its because most of the dive shop workers are here working illegally  , but for some reason they still act like they own the place?

3 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

your tellingme that silje paid for a policy worth 1000000 ????????? 10000000 what dollars . baht . what .............secondly she got nothing.  im confused about your post regarding this issue. if a person pays for a policy shouldn't they get paid. im from usa i would have  a lawyer on that within hours........what kind of policy. can u lay out this part of story from the beginning.?

Sorry about the confusion. It was 1,000,000 Thai baht.

The details are in the story on the Samui Times. Just check the link.

Silje’s family got nothing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spectator2020 said:

link wont open

Just now, yogavnture said:

link wont open

Ok. The link won’t open.

In a nutshell.

1,000,000 baht accidental death cover is supposedly included in the diving fee.

The diving fee was paid to Scuba Junction.

Scuba Junction was supposed to buy the policies for the divers by sending a list to the insurance company and I suppose pay the insurance premiums.

Scuba Junction failed to send the list or buy the policies. The divers were not insured.

It took 5 or 6 months for the dive shop to confess. They gave the “reason” of the fax not working.

That is the story in brief. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

i hope thai visa.com will cover this story again when the verdict and sentence is read next week............but im sure the illegal dive workers on ko tao following this in silence  ,,,,,,wont........

It is due to be read out by the court at the end of next month not next week.

You are right about there being people around who want everything kept silent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spectator2020 said:

Ok. The link won’t open.

In a nutshell.

Scuba Junction was supposed to buy the policies for the divers by sending a list to the insurance company and I suppose pay the insurance premiums.

Scuba Junction failed to send the list or buy the policies. The divers were not insured.

It took 5 or 6 months for the dive shop to confess. They gave the “reason” of the fax not working.

if in fact scuba junction in thier literature or signs or contract when signed with silje then they would be liable to follow thru with it?????  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spectator2020 said:

It is due to be read out by the court at the end of next month not next week.

You are right about there being people around who want everything kept silent.

its pretty obvious that their are lurkers here that want us silenced.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spectator2020 said:

do. The link won’t open.

In a nutshell.

does padi as ricky was padi certified . have any protections for silje? or are they running too?  seems like everybody but you and me are running real hard

19 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

i hope thai visa.com will cover this story again when the verdict and sentence is read next week............but im sure the illegal dive workers on ko tao following this in silence  ,,,,,,wont........

Thaivisa.com is not a newspaper or news agency, Thaivisa is a news aggregate and only publish news from other sources.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if u go to padi site. at bottom is says consumer protection i dont see that ricky was kicked out of padi???????  also shouldn't scuba junction be kicked out of padi.   seems to me if no dive marker was thier. padi would ban the shop from being padi. maybe send them a note

5 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

if u go to padi site. at bottom is says consumer protection i dont see that ricky was kicked out of padi???????  also shouldn't scuba junction be kicked out of padi.   seems to me if no dive marker was thier. padi would ban the shop from being padi. maybe send them a note

PADI held its own investigation.

When you get a chance to read some stories on the internet you will see a lot of the details.

Ricky’s membership was cancelled.

Scuba Diving had to go through some retraining for its staff.

Just now, Spectator2020 said:

PADI held its own investigation.

When you get a chance to read some stories on the internet you will see a lot of the details.

Ricky’s membership was cancelled.

Scuba Diving had to go through some retraining for its staff.

hopefully the retraining entailed buying a 5 dollar inflatable dive marker for new innocent divers who are 5 meters under the water in proven to be dangerous waters.......scuba junction is what u mean not scuba diving.  its amazing that the shop avoided any punishment.  maybe a few hours up updated training.  ?  why do i just get the feeling all around that silje was not respected at all. just money...move on . next customer.  theirs a newbie. hey cheap dive course!!!!!!!! wanna come?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, balo said:

If you're there please keep us updated , a lot of Norwegians back home are following this case now. Justice for Silje. 

Google works well:

”SILJE MATHISEN KOH TAO”

is a good search to start with.

Dagbladet (“Daily Magazine”) published 3 stories online in the last 5 weeks and one other Norwegian paper published a story online.

Samui Times has rewritten some of the Norwegian stories for an English audience and added some new information too.

Norway does much better in the Winter Olympics than it does seeking justice in the Gulf of Thailand.

7 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

This is most likely the for diveshops compulsory accident insurance, so no separate payment was made by Silje.

Diveshops have to let the insurance company know on a daily basis who they have diving. If the previously agreed upon number of divers is exceeded an additional insurance premium has to be paid, therefore it is tempting to not report all divers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

This is most likely the for diveshops compulsory accident insurance, so no separate payment was made by Silje.

Diveshops have to let the insurance company know on a daily basis who they have diving. If the previously agreed upon number of divers is exceeded an additional insurance premium has to be paid, therefore it is tempting to not report all divers.

If dive shops must organise compulsory accident insurance for their divers and they fail to do so then presumably someone in authority is supposed to take them to task.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Spectator2020 said:

If dive shops must organise compulsory accident insurance for their divers and they fail to do so then presumably someone in authority is supposed to take them to task.

i dont know what u guys are talking about but if the shop is supposed to have mandatory protection (insurance )  for a customer . and they dont do that. couldnt a lawyer sue the dive shop for breach?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yogavnture said:

i dont know what u guys are talking about but if the shop is supposed to have mandatory protection (insurance )  for a customer . and they dont do that. couldnt a lawyer sue the dive shop for breach?

.... or get the Tourism Authority of Thailand to do the hard work for them?

i asked samui times to forward the article to me . and i have gotten it from them.. along with the article about the boat man pleading guilty.  this is absolutely shocking. unbelievable that ricky and scuba junction can evade any wrongdoing in this case.  padi simply takes rickys membership away?  thats it?  all witnesses state that ricky did not have a marker. and i dont know what to say regarding the insurance. other than thier is a Aussie man writing articles regarding this story and quiries to scuba junction are going unanswered. is the manager of scuba junction still thier?  wouldnt at the very least. the whole staff be fired from scuba junction. why is scuba junction still in business?  didnt someone hire ricky? and finally what is the story of how ricky left the country?  if he left illegally i would assume their is a warrant out for his arrest.  beyond all of this the article states that the other divers on the dive who did protect the Norway girls......were NOT dive instructor trainees........and, the info i have read states that ricky left the sight of the girls during this unfortunate situation.  at the very very least with new divers underwater on their first dive the dive master would be within feet of the girls at all times.  shocking. scuba junction should close thier doors for good.

Edited by yogavnture
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

As this 4 year old topic is being continually bumped and fueled by speculation and posts containing defamatory content it shall now be closed.

From the Forum Rules:

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

/Closed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2