Norwegian tourist fatally injured by speed boat rotors near Koh Tao

webfact

Besides the obviously sadness of a young life lost,,, The almost worse thing is that this is NOT the first time,, nor will it be the last,,, I can off the top of my head,,, recall about 2-3 of these EXACT same accidents,, just in the last year,,,, Even SADDER,, is the fact that neither the dive shop operator, or ESP the Thai boat driver will be found at fault,, Of course we don't know all the details,, as to,, where they diving in an approved dive area?,,, are even such things AS approved dive areas?,,, areas OFF limits to boats other than DIVE shop boats.,, If so,, then it's OBVIOUSLY the boat driver's fault,, NO questions,,, What if there ARE approved areas,, and the dive shop is REQUIRED to use clearly marked "DIVER DOWN" buoys,,,to make other dive shop boats aware,, IF they don't?,,, THEY'RE at fault,, Also included should be STRICK instructions to divers,, ESP novices,, to only surface within a certain distance from the "DIVER DOWN" buoy,,,,, Of course,, even in a perfect situation,,, "dive only" areas,,, proper buoys, etc, etc,,, There ARE going to be accidents,,, By that I mean an excited, novice diver,, forgets,, and comes up too far from a buoy, in that case,, it's TRULY an accident,,, But my guess is,, with SIMPLE rules,,, there would be 1 of these, "accidents" about every 2-3 years,,, NOT,, 2-3 accidents per year,,,,

Edited by Adeeos

Whatever happened to the "I have a diver down" flag?

All divers in open water should have a float with "Diver Down" flag.

Motor boats should proceed with caution in this area.

First, i want to express my condolences to the family of this young woman. Her death was senseless, tragic and preventable.

But to Stupi's comment, do you really think for one moment that any of the numskull Somchai's crazy.gif driving these boats would even know what an alpha flag looks like or what it means when it's flying?

These guys have no training whatsoever and they have absolutely no concept of what it means to think about safety and act accordingly to protect their passengers or others on, or in, the water. In the last 6 months, how many boating accidents have there been? Speed boat crashes, sinking ferries, dive boat fires... and many of them were FATAL accidents.

And, again, as always, nothing will be done about it. No mandatory training to get a license, no safety inspections, no enforcement of maritime laws, no compliance with diving rules, and no one held accountable for the senseless and totally preventable loss of life.

Thailand is either going to have to learn from this stupidity and make the obvious changes that are required to protect tourists from corruption, scams, and negligence or they will continue to lose tourist market share to other countries and suffer the economic impact of that loss.

Khun Prayuth,

The golden goose is on life support and the prognosis isn't good. Instead of playing games with the local RTP about beach chairs, perhaps you should turn your attention to the serious issues affecting the safety of tourists in all forms of transportation and tourist excursions. I suggest that you stop the photo op "crackdowns" and enforce the law on an ongoing basis. Create training programs and ensure that operators are certified and their equipment meets safety standards in order to conduct business. And ensure that the RTP actually ENFORCES those laws. Or better yet, allow foreign business to deliver the services that tourists expect with the level of safety that they should be able to rely on. Then maybe the Thai businesses can learn by example.

I really love this country, and I would like to see it prosper. It is sad to watch it self destruct when the solution to the issues are so obvious and so attainable if only there was sufficient will and leadership to bring about the changes.

• Like 1

upon further investigation I now see that two Russian divers died in the same province on the same day? they were diving alone. but who gave them air? a dive shop? now I can see if you have proper credentials that a dive shop gives you air. but if you are a newbie , why is a dive shop giving them air. this is ubsurd. 3 deaths due to dive accidents in same province in the same day. is Thailand totally out of control

More than just air I'd guess,,, other than a VERY serious, professional diver,, WHO brings, packs all that equipment here?,,, and if they WERE pros,,, there's NO way one would have died from "the bends",,,, The REALLY strangeness?,,,,, The article made it out like they were "buddies",,,, mentioning, "his compatriot",,,, If they were in completely different areas,,, (the report kinda made it out like that, but I'm not sure),,,, WHAT are the odds of THAT!?!

• Like 1

coun

Whatever happened to the "I have a diver down" flag?

All divers in open water should have a float with "Diver Down" flag.

Motor boats should proceed with caution in this area.

First, i want to express my condolences to the family of this young woman. Her death was senseless, tragic and preventable.

But to Stupi's comment, do you really think for one moment that any of the numskull Somchai's crazy.gif driving these boats would even know what an alpha flag looks like or what it means when it's flying?

These guys have no training whatsoever and they have absolutely no concept of what it means to think about safety and act accordingly to protect their passengers or others on, or in, the water. In the last 6 months, how many boating accidents have there been? Speed boat crashes, sinking ferries, dive boat fires... and many of them were FATAL accidents.

And, again, as always, nothing will be done about it. No mandatory training to get a license, no safety inspections, no enforcement of maritime laws, no compliance with diving rules, and no one held accountable for the senseless and totally preventable loss of life.

Thailand is either going to have to learn from this stupidity and make the obvious changes that are required to protect tourists from corruption, scams, and negligence or they will continue to lose tourist market share to other countries and suffer the economic impact of that loss.

Khun Prayuth,

The golden goose is on life support and the prognosis isn't good. Instead of playing games with the local RTP about beach chairs, perhaps you should turn your attention to the serious issues affecting the safety of tourists in all forms of transportation and tourist excursions. I suggest that you stop the photo op "crackdowns" and enforce the law on an ongoing basis. Create training programs and ensure that operators are certified and their equipment meets safety standards in order to conduct business. And ensure that the RTP actually ENFORCES those laws. Or better yet, allow foreign business to deliver the services that tourists expect with the level of safety that they should be able to rely on. Then maybe the Thai businesses can learn by example.

I really love this country, and I would like to see it prosper. It is sad to watch it self destruct when the solution to the issues are so obvious and so attainable if only there was sufficient will and leadership to bring about the changes.

good post above. as someone who has been coming to Thailand for over 14 years. thailand is already losing market share to other countries. their are other countries to visit to dive where you don't have to worry about getting chopped to death when you return to the surface

I don't want to go ballistic on the dive shop yet. let get some facts and some info on this story. is Bangkok sending a team down their to get the facts. its obvious the govt on ko tao is incapable.

• Like 1

upon further investigation I now see that two Russian divers died in the same province on the same day? they were diving alone. but who gave them air? a dive shop? now I can see if you have proper credentials that a dive shop gives you air. but if you are a newbie , why is a dive shop giving them air. this is ubsurd. 3 deaths due to dive accidents in same province in the same day. is Thailand totally out of control

More than just air I'd guess,,, other than a VERY serious, professional diver,, WHO brings, packs all that equipment here?,,, and if they WERE pros,,, there's NO way one would have died from "the bends",,,, The REALLY strangeness?,,,,, The article made it out like they were "buddies",,,, mentioning, "his compatriot",,,, If they were in completely different areas,,, (the report kinda made it out like that, but I'm not sure),,,, WHAT are the odds of THAT!?!

The Russians were apparently cave divers living in Thailand. So I would guess that they had some experience considerably above Open Water level, which would enable them to purchase air fills.

22 years old and taken in a heartbeat. Can only imagine the anguish her parents and loved ones are going through.

The answer to this is quiet simple ... expats leave and tourists boycott Thailand until they are willing to put safety above money. That of course won't happen and the next victims family will probably be left wondering why their loved ones took such a risk.

• Like 1

The Russians were apparently cave divers living in Thailand. So I would guess that they had some experience considerably above Open Water level, which would enable them to purchase air fills.

NOT being a diver myself,,, but that's even STRANGER,, both "buddies" at least sounds like they knew each other,, BOTH apparently SEASONED divers,,, BOTH dying the SAME day, in SAME province, from different causes????,,,, and one from, "the bends"????,,, really??? VERY odd I'd say,,, but again,, who really knows ALL the details,,, but the fact that the simple details,, both seasoned,, both die same day, both in diving accidents,, DIFFERENT places???,,,,, what are THOSE odds?? wow,,,

Edited by Adeeos

So sad! And 100% avoidable.

SCUBA can be Deadly without proper training.

DO NOT be Cheap about learning this sport, with education, equipment, or operators.

I taught SCUBA for college credit in the USA and abroad. It takes dozens of hours before one should go to the open water!

THINK people this is life support equipment!

hard to get accurate info on this story. but Im wondering if she was alive when taken out of water. the story as I can desipher it says she was hit and went down and divers searched for her for ten minutes to no avail.. well if she truly was hit on head by rotor and she went down for ten minutes she would have drowned. but I see a picture on internet of them working on her on ko tao. was she dead at scene or later. secondly what type of trauma unit do they have on ko tao ... do they have any quality service their? I had a small wart on ko tao which was cancerous and I went to ko samui and I didn't even feel good getting it removed their I ended up going to bkk.

maybe its time the thai govt keeps a helicopter on standby on ko tao for medical emergenices so people can have quality care in bkk. the thai govt will still pocket good money from people getting run over, but at least they will get good care I don't want to be insensitive to this gals death. but darn it when are the thais going to learn, their is so much dangerous activity that takes place on ko tao. medical services need to be improved their. just walking around ko tao u see battle scars daily from motorbike accidents . from drunken tourists. who don't wear shoes on a motorbike let alone a helmet. the thai police on ko tao care more about busting u for a joint than public safety.

Without looking it over again,,, i seem to remember something to the affect,, "died while they were trying to get her to the hospital in Samui",,, something alongs those lines,,,

Who knows what to believe,,, There's 3 slightly different, "versions" quoted,,, 1 "A rescue team, with emergency medical services personnel, rushed to the scene of accident but could not save her life."... 2 "She died while the authorities were trying to send her a hospital on Koh Samui.", and 3 "She was struck by the rotor when she floated to the surface after diving",,,

So,, "floated to the surface",,, did she run out of air, die, float to the surface, get struck?",,,,,, jeez,,, we make, "jokes" about how terrible the reporting is here,,, yet who knows?,,,, maybe all the confusion is purposeful,,, it tends to,, "muddy the water",,, maybe done semi on purpose?..... With 3 slightly different version,, but different enough to really make a difference,,, WHAT family of the victim would EVER get a straight story unless actually COMING here?... and in an accident, where the ID of the person is confirmed,, how many families actually do that?.. now a murder?,,, uncomfirmed identity?... then Ya,, a family member/close friend, is gonna make the trip,,,

Edited by PoorSucker
Changed to standard font

I was diving on koh tao on Sunday and water was bouncing..to say the least. I've been told it was worse on Monday. To answer questions; No. Most boats don't deploy diver down flags, even if they did hardly anyone would know what they are. Because of the waves I've seen speed boats travelling very fast and dangerously close to get to their divers. In shallow waters boats should not be going at full throttle and as an instructor I make it a point to deploy a safety buoy when diving in shallow water with the possibility of divers surfacing. Even then I've seen speedboats have a few close calls with my buoy. Whilst not singling out SJ there are many shops around who employ instructors without proper interviews. Many of the staff place priority on end of day beers rather than diver safety. As an example I was doing a couple of leisure dives last week and our "divemaster" lost the group 3 times in one dive..

Stricter safety measures must be taken around dive sites and shops should be more scrutinous in their recruitment process, I've seen divemastere who've had numerous people die on them yet are still employed and since I've been here only one shop has asked for my CV...until things change unnecessary deaths like this will continue.

I've only heard one warning about this type of thing in many dives, not to mention lack of safety procedures being followed and instructions given on a number of other issues, including 'head counts' and other basics, even the location of life preservers/PFDs, first aid kits, etc., in case of emergency. The GOOD schools and groups do this, but most don't bother...and, should be penalised. RIP to one who sought beauty in the seas.

• Like 2

Yes, and so does SanSaiExPat's waste of our internet bandwidth and screen real estate.

After SSEP castigated Sweatalot's English, I was pointing out that SSEP has his own English issues. Stones and glass houses.

Indeed my posts can also be deleted, they add very little.

I see. Forgetting a simple letter can make your post being quoted many times. Interesting that nobody cares about the content - which has not been understood by the first orthography police guy.

• Like 1

what ever happened to diver below flags and boats staying well away from them, seems here they just do as they please like they do on the roads. Way past time they made all drivers pass real tests and show they understand what is required. Another needless death cause by total incompetence, all too common in Thailand these days.

• Like 1

Who knows what to believe,,, There's 3 slightly different, "versions" quoted,,, 1 "A rescue team, with emergency medical services personnel, rushed to the scene of accident but could not save her life."... 2 "She died while the authorities were trying to send her a hospital on Koh Samui.", and 3 "She was struck by the rotor when she floated to the surface after diving",,,

So,, "floated to the surface",,, did she run out of air, die, float to the surface, get struck?",,,,,, jeez,,, we make, "jokes" about how terrible the reporting is here,,, yet who knows?,,,, maybe all the confusion is purposeful,,, it tends to,, "muddy the water",,, maybe done semi on purpose?..... With 3 slightly different version,, but different enough to really make a difference,,, WHAT family of the victim would EVER get a straight story unless actually COMING here?... and in an accident, where the ID of the person is confirmed,, how many families actually do that?.. now a murder?,,, uncomfirmed identity?... then Ya,, a family member/close friend, is gonna make the trip,,,

" maybe all the confusion is purposeful,"

Would not be the first time on this death island

• Like 2

You really are on your own in T-land more than most tourists ever know. As much as I like underwater life and all that, you won't ever see me so much as even getting in a swimming pool here. I have dodged so many bullets. It isn't worth it and there will be problems with any sort of vehicles, thrill seeking activities. Most Thais cannot fathom why we would want to jump in the ocean let alone go parasailing. Many don't understand why we would even want to come here at ll in the first place. "Don't you have better shopping malls in your country?" So, you won't get any sympathy if you end up in a wheel chair or worse because you were silly enough to go out and get creamed by some yahoo in a jet boat or what have you. You have to really be vigilant or run serious risks here when stepping foot out of the door, and even then who knows. Most Thai people are just not wired to pay much mind to what happens to anyone including themselves. There are no real consequences for them if they run you over, so care free and footloose is a double edged sword, I'm afraid, it isn't just some endearing innocent quality and nothing else. Take care on your Thai X-mass holidays everyone!

• Like 2

RIP Silji Macdison sincere condolences to her family and friends such a young age to be needless taken away from her family tourist must start to realise what a dangerous country Thailand is be it on the roads or in the water no safety whatsoever in Thailand never heard of a risk assessment just run at it and make money nothing else is important only money in Thailand must get to shore to pick up the next batch of tourists quickly .

• Like 1

So sad. These type accidents all to common in a society which I sincerely think does not understand the concept of safety in any fashion. There is only one person at fault, its the boat driver. It is his personal responsibility to ensure his driving area is clear. His alone, no other person's. Thai road drivers are terrible, boat drivers in a league of their own.

Never mention safety, and Thai. In the same breath.

I think I will..."Safety in Thailand at it's best!"

RIP Young lady. Life is just too cheap over here.

There should have been a diving flag set out and rules about how close boats can come to these flags. I will bet anything there was NO flag and the people on the dive boat had very little to no training and could care less.

• Like 1

So sad. These type accidents all to common in a society which I sincerely think does not understand the concept of safety in any fashion. There is only one person at fault, its the boat driver. It is his personal responsibility to ensure his driving area is clear. His alone, no other person's. Thai road drivers are terrible, boat drivers in a league of their own.

If she was on course it was also the instructor's responsibility to make sure that a) if they were surfacing intentionally; that the surface was clear ( you would hear an approaching boat coming) and B) to keep an eye on the student in case they surfaced accidentally. It's not clear the cause of this incident but as an instructor teaching a course you need to have your eyes on students at all times.. I wonder if this incident will get reported to the respective training authority and the instructor in question QA'd? Probably not..

• Like 2

Wrong charlie! IT IS the boat operators responsibility in all cases period. Im a diving instructor and have operated a boat since I was 16, Im 53 now. Ive taken several US Coast Guard boat and safety courses. It is without doubt the boat drivers responsibility no question asked. While I agree that when surfacing a person is to "clear the way", its impossible for a diver to know where sound is coming from in regards to a boat on fast approach. Negligence is on the boat driver!

One wonders why the engine was on.

I took it to mean a passing boat, but your point is well made. ............R.I.P.

It does say------"a passing boat"

Anyway obviously too close to dive boat with no regard to safety----- my thoughts go to family to have such a tragedy at a time of year we all think of peace and happiness---RIP young lady

what does a "passing boat" mean. alot of speculation is going on because the thai authorities are not getting out accurate info. im still waiting. did she pass away in the water or out of the water. secondly usually their are people around above and below the water when someone surfaces . at the very least their dive buddy which is mandatory. padi mandates a dive buddy. what is the story here. im waiting.. if the dive buddy witnessed the propeller hit the unfortunate girl, the what the hell are divers searching the waters for ten minutes for her body. gosh this sick her family might even be reading this speculation. if you have a family member hurt or worse in Thailand don't believe a word you are told get the first plane ticket here with the best private investigator u can pay for to get to the truth. so sad for that innocent gal

this whole story is weird. first the gal in ko tao . whats the story. the true story. this aint rocket science on this one. she was obviously with other divers. and im speculating but guessing she wasn't a pro so was closeby to instructor and dive buddy. so their were witnesses. so the truth is possible here. im waiting the Russian story seems like it might be a bit more complicated at they were cave diving alone. so no witnesses but that story is weird too. two guys both die. and they were in separate areas.....freaky.......as a diver I like to know what happened in both incidences. it helps the rest of us prevent future repeats. I wish thai visa would post a story on the Russian divers and updated facts on the gal on ko tao. the innocent gal that trusted others with her life .