Modular Or Prefabricated House Mfrs

Khleerm

Hi all,

I am trying to locate companies in Thailand that manufacture modular or prefabricated homes here.

Searching Google has proven futile, and perusing the local home magazines hasn't turned up much either.

So far, the only manufacturer I have found is a company called CVS Modern Thai Home. To me, their product is fantastic and might just be what I will ultimately decide on, but, before I make any decisions, I would like to know what the options are and explore every one of them.

Does anyone know of any similar companies in Thailand?

Thank you! :o

Edited by Khleerm

Hi fella,

Im afraid that i cannot put you in touch with any online companies to help you though i do know of a few locations that can construct these Teak houses for you.

Im very interested in something similar myself, and have been doing the rounds for about 6 months, having found only waht i consider to be very steep prices for anything to do with teak wood. Do you have any idea what the prices are like at CVS? I would certainly be interested to find out!

Regards

I am trying to locate companies in Thailand that manufacture modular or prefabricated homes here.

I've never seen anything like them in Thailand (nor mobilehomes or RVs). Temporary/low-income housing is usually makeshift shacks e.g. on-site housing for construction workers is most often crude shacks made of wood and corrugated steel.

Given the huge number of shipping containers lying about, I expected to see someone living in them but I never have. See here and here and here for examples other places in the world. I think they're even used in desert environments so, given proper insulation, heat doesn't appear to be a problem.

Edited by fxm88

Given the huge number of shipping containers lying about, I expected to see someone living in them but I never have. See here and here and here for examples other places in the world. I think they're even used in desert environments so, given proper insulation, heat doesn't appear to be a problem.

Those are some very interesting links, fxm88. Thank you for sharing them. I had similar thoughts regarding shipping containers as homes. Maybe ias far as Thailand is concerned t's only a matter of time.

Some of you may be interested in an exhibit of contemporary prefabricated homes presently being put on by a gallery in Vancouver. The web site names many names of key players in this sphere of housing. :o

On second thought [just in case that page gets taken down]... :o

Some Assembly Required: Contemporary Prefabricated Houses profiles the work of eight leading designers in the field: Alchemy Architects (Goeffrey Warner, Josh Capistrant, Tomas Weitzel, Shayne Schuldt, Lewis Colburn), Lazor Office (Charlie Lazor), Marmol Radziner + Associates (Leo Marmol and Ron Radziner), Michelle Kauffman Designs, Pinc House (Göran Aldvik, Johan Lionell, Maria Rutensköld), Resolution: 4 Architecture (Joseph D. Tanney and Robert L. Luntz), Rocio Romero and Steve Holl.

Hi fella,

Im afraid that i cannot put you in touch with any online companies to help you though i do know of a few locations that can construct these Teak houses for you.

Im very interested in something similar myself, and have been doing the rounds for about 6 months, having found only waht i consider to be very steep prices for anything to do with teak wood. Do you have any idea what the prices are like at CVS? I would certainly be interested to find out!

Regards

Not sure if it's what you want but try here:

http://www.bansongthai.com/

Good links, thanks.

What a pity Bansongthai didn't bother to get their site translated.

It looks similar the the Samui builder's site I'm still trying to find. :o

I don't know the name either, but is that the shop in Baan Tai on the ring road that makes small teak houses and salas for sale? They have a nice small teak house on display outside, as well as the usual array of outdoor furniture etc...

Hi all,

Searching Google has proven futile, and perusing the local home magazines hasn't turned up much either.

So far, the only manufacturer I have found is a company called CVS Modern Thai Home. To me, their product is fantastic and might just be what I will ultimately decide on, but, before I make any decisions, I would like to know what the options are and explore every one of them.

They look nice...but maybe a bit "lightweight"???

Thank you all for your contributions! They have been most interesting and helpful. :o

Quite by coincidence, I discovered this while reading today's Bangkok Post

The Queen Sirikit Convention Center is hosting:

Home Builder 2006: Mix and Match

Date: 16 - 20 August, 2006

10.00 a.m. - 8.00 p.m.

- Meet high quality products & services from home builders and hardware & home decor manufacturers

-Get advisory services on home building by top architects and engineers

-Meet the launch of over 100 new house designs

-Furniture World Fair will be held at the same time for you to select favorits home decor items

Organizer : Home Builder Association

Tel : 662-570-4961

Thank you all for your contributions! They have been most interesting and helpful. :o

Quite by coincidence, I discovered this while reading today's Bangkok Post

The Queen Sirikit Convention Center is hosting:

Home Builder 2006: Mix and Match

Date: 16 - 20 August, 2006

10.00 a.m. - 8.00 p.m.

- Meet high quality products & services from home builders and hardware & home decor manufacturers

-Get advisory services on home building by top architects and engineers

-Meet the launch of over 100 new house designs

-Furniture World Fair will be held at the same time for you to select favorits home decor items

Organizer : Home Builder Association

Tel : 662-570-4961

Link isn't working...

Hello all,

What a fine display they've set up a Sirikit Center. I don't think I've ever seen so many perfectly scaled models of homes before. Why it's like walking through a dozen or more moo baan's!

Unfortunately though, there was only one builder that came anywhere close to offering a prefab but, actually, that wasn't quite close enough.

• 2 years later...
Hello all,

What a fine display they've set up a Sirikit Center. I don't think I've ever seen so many perfectly scaled models of homes before. Why it's like walking through a dozen or more moo baan's!

Unfortunately though, there was only one builder that came anywhere close to offering a prefab but, actually, that wasn't quite close enough.

Just to bring this discussion up to date: we bought a modular home 3 bedroom, 76 sq meters, in 2006. Lots of issues with it and I am willing to answer any questions you all may have! paddy

Hello all,

18 months on, what did you decide?

• 1 month later...
Hello all,

Just to bring this discussion up to date: we bought a modular home 3 bedroom, 76 sq meters, in 2006. Lots of issues with it and I am willing to answer any questions you all may have! paddy

Hi. We are very interested in using a pre-fab house and would be grateful if you could share your experience.

What kind of land does your house sit on (we have steeply sloped land)?

What materials is your house made of?

What company did you buy from?

Would you recommend that company and the house you chose?

What was the company asking price?

Thanks very much as I have been trying to find someone who has actually gone this route.

Hi all,

I have a factory in San Kamphaeng (near Chaing Mai) and we build teak wood knock down homes. Our homes are put together with stainless steel scrrews and bolts. No nails. Everything is made with the highest quaility materials available here in Thailand. Doors and windows are hung with either stainless steel or bronze hinges. We are temporarily closed so there aren't any model homes to look at. All our homes are built to U.S. standards and have been primarily for export. All the homes have been shipped to the tropical coast of Mexico. We have different sizes and floor plans ranging from a studio bungalow with an ensuite living room and bathroom to a 5 bedroom , 5 bathroom home. The homes can be customized to fit your needs . Here are a sampling of photos of two of our models. I have relocated myself and family back to Phuket. I am seriously looking into relocating my factory down here as I need to live by the ocean (I am a waterman). If you need any more information or photos, etc. you can pm me.

post-37343-1238310480_thumb.jpg

post-37343-1238310929_thumb.jpg

post-37343-1238310950_thumb.jpg

post-37343-1238310963_thumb.jpg

Edited by arby

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello Everyone,

Great information provided, as the OP has stated trying to get information online for any of these projects is a bit difficult but I am interested in getting information on prefab/mobile homes here in BKK. Apparently the style is called "knock down" which means they can rapidly assemble the homes on site as necessary.

For about 600k Baht, you can get this very cute unit which comes in a shipping container and is very nicely designed.

(PLEASE RE-ATTACH the . with the COM as I can not post links?)

asitespecificexperiment.wordpress. com/2009/11/03/mdl-5-5x6/

I haven't had a chance to call this company up yet, so any input from people who might have would be great! In addition, here is another prefab unit available:

asitespecificexperiment.wordpress. com/2009/08/01/r-2x20/

and quite interestingly:

www.homedit. com/thailand-wood-prefab-houses/

I'd like more information on any other prefab/mobile/knock down units available in Thailand so please update this post if possible :) THX

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I had Siam steel come in the other day for ameeting, amongst the things they do is prefab houses.

I like a couple of those floor plans: I favor an efficient design with a lack of hallways. (Hallways, to me, are a waste of space.) Now if they would only legalize it for farang to own a small plot of land upon which to erect such a home...

Do you know what material they use for the exterior fascia? It almost looks like a vinyl fake wood. If it's real wood, is it single-wall construction, or a double-wall (cavity) construction?

Did you get any price estimates?

• 2 weeks later...

Would someone on this thread please fill me in on why the interest in prefab in Thailand?

Historically, prefab is used in fully developed countries because:

1. labor is very expensive and

2. the local industry has requisite precision capacity for factory fabrication of prefab system components,

and there is field expertise to site-assemble the structure as well as coordinate foundation & MEP systems before the house arrives.

The former certainly doesn't apply in Thailand, and the latter is rare enough that a price-competitive market for prefab doesn't exist. I don't believe there is a cost advantage in LOS for an expat-friendly home, once fabrication, transport, onsite foundation & MEP systems are all tallied in.

My conclusion is that there are no rational reasons to go prefab in Thailand, versus conventional build-to-suit, unless you have to helicopter in modules to a very remote location... and even then, I'd go native, low-tech & local to make the home 'of the place' and affordable!

I had Siam steel come in the other day for ameeting, amongst the things they do is prefab houses.

single story 2 bed house

2 Story house

3 bed house

For disaster relief, OK, but for a permanent home... I find them a bit brutal. But for cost reference for the group, would you please post the prices, and specify if it includes transport, foundation & utilities hook-ups, that you were quoted for these plans.