Sunderland Forum

Sunderland

BBC SPORT news flash

Ref url:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7467056.stm

Ex-Sunderland keeper found dead

Mr Carter was an academy coach (photo courtesy Sunderland Echo)

Former Sunderland goalkeeper Tim Carter has been found dead in Manchester.

The body of the 40-year-old, from County Durham, was discovered in bushes by a passer-by in the Highfield Close area of Stretford, Greater Manchester.

Emergency services were called, and he was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics at midday on Friday.

The death of Mr Carter, recently appointed as Sunderland Academy goalkeeping coach, is not being treated as suspicious, according to police.

He played 50 games for the Black Cats, between 1987 and 1992, and had been the first-team goalkeeping coach before the arrival of Raimond Van Der Gouw in summer 2007.

Mr Carter also coached the goalkeepers in Estonia's national side on a part-time basis.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said a post-mortem would be carried out in due course.

Carter started his career at Bristol Rovers and also played for Hartlepool, Millwall, Oxford and Halifax.

Unquote.

Sorry it,s not good news, i,m posting for you all.

May he rest in peace

marshbags

There is a local website that i,ve just spotted with more detailed news that he sadly took his own life.

Ref url:- http://www.chorley-guardian.co.uk/manchest...shes.4210773.jp

RIP

Sad news indeed. Timmy Carter wasn't the best keeper in the world, but he was a true gentleman off the field and made a lot of friends among the average fan on the street. Big shame. RIP.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keane is apparantly after Darren Fletcher, I really hope he's succesful with his bid!! I'm sure there are a fair few of us United fans who even be willing to chip in to pay part of the transfer fee.

5 million quid though, does sound a bit over the top though. :o

'

Is this where I deposit the money for "Darren Fletcher Fund" ?

Unless he has a grandmother who played for Spurs, we won't be signing Fletcher ...

Keane's new policy is to sign only Spurs rejects.

It might be a good policy, but as a United fan I will very dissapointed if Keane doesn't sign Fletcher. He'd be a great signing for us. :o

i take it then Keane & Quinn have abandoned their policy of signing Irish players only ?? I always thought they were on a loser with this considering the Irish national team could never manage to achieve this.

i take it then Keane & Quinn have abandoned their policy of signing Irish players only ?? I always thought they were on a loser with this considering the Irish national team could never manage to achieve this.

Yes, it's been a very odd pre-season. We've only signed an old Irish journeyman of a goalie (4th or 5th choice at the moment) and some young 'un from Cork for a sack of potatoes. In the past week we seem to have gone all 'international' and signed Tainio, Chimbonda, Diouf and Malbranque less than the price of one Darren Bent. All 4 in their prime. Remains to be seen if their various moods, spitting and inconsistency can be used to full effect by Keane. A rollercoaster season beckons.

Yes, it's been a very odd pre-season. We've only signed an old Irish journeyman of a goalie (4th or 5th choice at the moment) and some young 'un from Cork for a sack of potatoes. In the past week we seem to have gone all 'international' and signed Tainio, Chimbonda, Diouf and Malbranque less than the price of one Darren Bent. All 4 in their prime. Remains to be seen if their various moods, spitting and inconsistency can be used to full effect by Keane. A rollercoaster season beckons.

Not sure what the Mackem's will make of this international quartet ??

1 - 0 yesterday at our place :o

• 6 months later...