• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last Updated: Sunday, 29 April 2007, 14:29 GMT 15:29 UK

Taken from the BBC sports web site

Quote:-

Quinn astonished by Keane success

By Andrew McKenzie

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn has admitted he is surprised by the speed at which manager Roy Keane has changed the club's fortunes.

Keane has taken the club from the foot of the Championship to promotion back to the top flight in eight months.

Quinn told BBC Sport: "We felt we would have to nurse him along, put structures in place and give him every opportunity to develop and learn his trade.

"But lo and behold he has astonished everyone and done it in record time."

From Championship chumps to promotion to the Premiership, BBC Sport charts the turnaround under Keane.

LOSING MENTALITY

During a six-match spell as manager at the start of this season, Quinn saw the problems facing the club.

RESULTS UNDER QUINN

Coventry 2-1 Sunderland

Sunderland 0-1 Birmingham

Sunderland 2-3 Plymouth

Southend 3-1 Sunderland

Bury 2-0 Sunderland

Sunderland 2-0 WBA

"We played Coventry away and everyone was up for it but what astonished me was how deep the losing mentality was," said Quinn.

"When Coventry scored with 15 minutes to go our players looked at their boots and did anything but organise themselves.

"They gave a message that Sunderland were there to be beaten - and that's what Coventry did. I knew then we had a big losing mentality to get rid of."

INSTANT IMPRESSION

When Keane took the Sunderland job at the end of August not everyone was convinced Quinn had appointed the "world-class" manager he had predicted.

Experts suggested it would not be long before the fiery Keane hit the self-destruct button, while bookmakers offered short odds on Keane blowing a fuse and storming out before Christmas.

Keane was in the stands among 24,242 fans when Sunderland faced West Brom on 28 August.

The Black Cats won 2-0 but it was only their second league success at the Stadium of Light in over a year.

POWERS OF PERSUASION

Keane brought in six new faces on transfer deadline day, five of them leaving top-flight football in England or Scotland to join a side scrapping at the bottom of the Championship, while Dwight Yorke swapped sunny Sydney for Sunderland.

MAJOR MOVES

August: David Connolly, Liam Miller, Graham Kavanagh, Ross Wallace, Dwight Yorke, Stanislav Varga

January: Carlos Edwards, Anthony Stokes, Stern John, Danny Simpson (loan), Jonny Evans (loan)

But, despite the new arrivals, Quinn said: "Roy didn't come in and say I need him, him and him.

"We got in some players but he didn't get rid of anybody, he went in and looked at everything on the playing side and gave everyone a chance."

There was an instant upturn in results as 5,000 Sunderland fans made the trip to Derby and were rewarded with a 2-1 win.

Four days later they won 3-0 at Leeds and the bandwagon was up and running.

However, over the next few months some mixed results put a minor dent in the early optimism.

MANAGERIAL MASTERSTROKES

In January, about £5m was spent on bringing in further players, while Keane allowed eight players to leave the club.

He was steadily stamping his managerial mantra of belief, focus, team spirit and commitment on the club.

Since then the proof has been in the performances as Sunderland rattled off a 17-match unbeaten run to climb to the top of the table.

Nyron is going to be a hel_l of a player and Roy can take the plaudits for that

Niall Quinn

Keane used his contacts, bringing in players from Manchester United and Celtic - including the inspired loan signings of Jonny Evans and Danny Simpson.

But just as importantly as the new arrivals has been the transformation of some of the players already at the club.

Nyron Nosworthy's conversion from an unfashionable right-back to a uncompromising centre-half has been a big key to Sunderland's success.

Danny Collins, Grant Leadbitter and Darren Ward have also shone under Keane.

Quinn commented: "Danny was one of the players who was there last year and it has been phenomenal to see the turnaround.

"My favourite moment of the season was when he won a header against Burnley for David Connelly to equalise. He beat three people in the air and the only way I can describe it was it was like a Fosbury Flop. He got injured as a result but his desire to help the team was incredible.

"The run didn't quite start there but we certainly turned the corner in that game.

"The contribution that Danny and Grant Leadbitter are making - along with people like Daryl Murphy and even goalkeeper Darren Ward - is fantastic.

"Then there is Dean Whitehead. He is just a super talent and I think the benefit for him is he is working with the greatest exponent of the type of game he is trying to play. He is going to have a great career.

"As for Nyron - the guy just looks a brilliant player. You can see Nyron's confidence coming out with every game.

"They are brilliant things to see happen for a manager - to get that out of players in his first year is just incredible."

ROY'S REBIRTH

As a player Keane saw each game as a battle - as a manager he seems to view it as a game of chess.

During matches he seldom ventures from the dug-out - barking out instructions is not his style.

Goalkeeper Ward revealed: "He talks to us in a professional manner regardless what the score is. He trusts us to get on with our jobs - he's not animated in that sense."

Keane has been openly critical of his side only once (after victory at Sheffield Wednesday) and has generally remained positive after defeat.

The players will know that Keane is a guy who will be good for their career

Charlie Hurley

But players have learned quickly not to cross him - as Anthony Stokes, Marton Fulop and Toby Hysen found out when they were late for the team bus and he left them behind.

Sunderland legend Charlie Hurley said: "Keane has an individual desire that made him a great player and he has transformed that attitude to his players without having to shout and roar."

Even if the 'hairdryer effect' is used as a way to berate players it is unlikely to become common knowledge, his players are so well-drilled that what happens in the dressing room stays in the dressing room.

Former Sunderland skipper Gary Bennett covers all the club's games for BBC Radio Newcastle.

He stated: "Everyone thought he had this short fuse and we were all waiting for him to blow up but he has handled it very well.

"When things have been needed to be said he has done it indoors and it is left indoors.

"The way he has handled things as a manager - both on and off the pitch - he has been a role model for others. The media have fired questions at him and he has answered every one.

"The first week he came in he tried to get to know the media. We had a game against the staff - we were beaten 3-2 but I think we were always going to lose. They were going to play until they won.

"He got on well with everyone straightaway and he has been magnificent all season."

GEARING UP FOR GREATNESS

Perhaps it should be no surprise that a man who spent most of his career under Nottingham Forest legend Brian Clough and Manchester United great Sir Alex Ferguson should have taken to management so easily.

Whether Keane makes the difficult step from great player to great manager will be judged over years rather than his first season.

But the early signs hint at a potential mix of Ferguson's drive with Clough's ability to squeeze the best out of players.

Keane's side have also inherited Manchester United's knack for dramatic late goals.

Genius is one per cent inspiration and 99 per cent perspiration

Famous quote by American inventor Thomas Edison

Quinn refers to Keane as having that "little bit of genius".

"Knowing him as a player, being around him and knowing the level of focus he has I should not have been surprised by what has happened," said Quinn. "But I would be telling lies if I said I knew the way it was going to turn out.

"I thought he was capable of turning this club around but I thought it would take him more time to prove it.

"What we didn't foresee was how good he is at his job.

"When we looked at appointing him we knew he had been spending time looking at the coaching side - he didn't just stop playing and say 'I'm going to become a coach'.

"We knew in his last few years he had been actively seeking his badges, attending games, reserve games, obscure non-League games.

"We didn't pluck him from the sky, we knew what his desire levels were.

"But to do it the way he has done it has been brilliant - I've really enjoyed watching him work."

Unquote

Ref. url:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...and/6588831.stm

While i wasn,t impressed by his antics regarding walkout in the world cup and letting everyone down including himself. ( IMHO )

He deserves the succes he has achieved and will go on to become an outstanding manager if he keeps the same attitude.

Sorry to say this to relevant interested parties, but............. I reckon either him or Brucie will go on to succeed Alex at Old Trafford when he decides to retire or otherwise ??? God forbid

marshbags :o

Last Updated: Sunday, 29 April 2007, 14:29 GMT 15:29 UK

Taken from the BBC sports web site

Quote:-

Quinn astonished by Keane success

By Andrew McKenzie

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn has admitted he is surprised by the speed at which manager Roy Keane has changed the club's fortunes.

Keane has taken the club from the foot of the Championship to promotion back to the top flight in eight months.

Quinn told BBC Sport: "We felt we would have to nurse him along, put structures in place and give him every opportunity to develop and learn his trade.

"But lo and behold he has astonished everyone and done it in record time."

From Championship chumps to promotion to the Premiership, BBC Sport charts the turnaround under Keane.

LOSING MENTALITY

During a six-match spell as manager at the start of this season, Quinn saw the problems facing the club.

RESULTS UNDER QUINN

Coventry 2-1 Sunderland

Sunderland 0-1 Birmingham

Sunderland 2-3 Plymouth

Southend 3-1 Sunderland

Bury 2-0 Sunderland

Sunderland 2-0 WBA

"We played Coventry away and everyone was up for it but what astonished me was how deep the losing mentality was," said Quinn.

"When Coventry scored with 15 minutes to go our players looked at their boots and did anything but organise themselves.

"They gave a message that Sunderland were there to be beaten - and that's what Coventry did. I knew then we had a big losing mentality to get rid of."

INSTANT IMPRESSION

When Keane took the Sunderland job at the end of August not everyone was convinced Quinn had appointed the "world-class" manager he had predicted.

Experts suggested it would not be long before the fiery Keane hit the self-destruct button, while bookmakers offered short odds on Keane blowing a fuse and storming out before Christmas.

Keane was in the stands among 24,242 fans when Sunderland faced West Brom on 28 August.

The Black Cats won 2-0 but it was only their second league success at the Stadium of Light in over a year.

POWERS OF PERSUASION

Keane brought in six new faces on transfer deadline day, five of them leaving top-flight football in England or Scotland to join a side scrapping at the bottom of the Championship, while Dwight Yorke swapped sunny Sydney for Sunderland.

MAJOR MOVES

August: David Connolly, Liam Miller, Graham Kavanagh, Ross Wallace, Dwight Yorke, Stanislav Varga

January: Carlos Edwards, Anthony Stokes, Stern John, Danny Simpson (loan), Jonny Evans (loan)

But, despite the new arrivals, Quinn said: "Roy didn't come in and say I need him, him and him.

"We got in some players but he didn't get rid of anybody, he went in and looked at everything on the playing side and gave everyone a chance."

There was an instant upturn in results as 5,000 Sunderland fans made the trip to Derby and were rewarded with a 2-1 win.

Four days later they won 3-0 at Leeds and the bandwagon was up and running.

However, over the next few months some mixed results put a minor dent in the early optimism.

MANAGERIAL MASTERSTROKES

In January, about £5m was spent on bringing in further players, while Keane allowed eight players to leave the club.

He was steadily stamping his managerial mantra of belief, focus, team spirit and commitment on the club.

Since then the proof has been in the performances as Sunderland rattled off a 17-match unbeaten run to climb to the top of the table.

Nyron is going to be a hel_l of a player and Roy can take the plaudits for that

Niall Quinn

Keane used his contacts, bringing in players from Manchester United and Celtic - including the inspired loan signings of Jonny Evans and Danny Simpson.

But just as importantly as the new arrivals has been the transformation of some of the players already at the club.

Nyron Nosworthy's conversion from an unfashionable right-back to a uncompromising centre-half has been a big key to Sunderland's success.

Danny Collins, Grant Leadbitter and Darren Ward have also shone under Keane.

Quinn commented: "Danny was one of the players who was there last year and it has been phenomenal to see the turnaround.

"My favourite moment of the season was when he won a header against Burnley for David Connelly to equalise. He beat three people in the air and the only way I can describe it was it was like a Fosbury Flop. He got injured as a result but his desire to help the team was incredible.

"The run didn't quite start there but we certainly turned the corner in that game.

"The contribution that Danny and Grant Leadbitter are making - along with people like Daryl Murphy and even goalkeeper Darren Ward - is fantastic.

"Then there is Dean Whitehead. He is just a super talent and I think the benefit for him is he is working with the greatest exponent of the type of game he is trying to play. He is going to have a great career.

"As for Nyron - the guy just looks a brilliant player. You can see Nyron's confidence coming out with every game.

"They are brilliant things to see happen for a manager - to get that out of players in his first year is just incredible."

ROY'S REBIRTH

As a player Keane saw each game as a battle - as a manager he seems to view it as a game of chess.

During matches he seldom ventures from the dug-out - barking out instructions is not his style.

Goalkeeper Ward revealed: "He talks to us in a professional manner regardless what the score is. He trusts us to get on with our jobs - he's not animated in that sense."

Keane has been openly critical of his side only once (after victory at Sheffield Wednesday) and has generally remained positive after defeat.

The players will know that Keane is a guy who will be good for their career

Charlie Hurley

But players have learned quickly not to cross him - as Anthony Stokes, Marton Fulop and Toby Hysen found out when they were late for the team bus and he left them behind.

Sunderland legend Charlie Hurley said: "Keane has an individual desire that made him a great player and he has transformed that attitude to his players without having to shout and roar."

Even if the 'hairdryer effect' is used as a way to berate players it is unlikely to become common knowledge, his players are so well-drilled that what happens in the dressing room stays in the dressing room.

Former Sunderland skipper Gary Bennett covers all the club's games for BBC Radio Newcastle.

He stated: "Everyone thought he had this short fuse and we were all waiting for him to blow up but he has handled it very well.

"When things have been needed to be said he has done it indoors and it is left indoors.

"The way he has handled things as a manager - both on and off the pitch - he has been a role model for others. The media have fired questions at him and he has answered every one.

"The first week he came in he tried to get to know the media. We had a game against the staff - we were beaten 3-2 but I think we were always going to lose. They were going to play until they won.

"He got on well with everyone straightaway and he has been magnificent all season."

GEARING UP FOR GREATNESS

Perhaps it should be no surprise that a man who spent most of his career under Nottingham Forest legend Brian Clough and Manchester United great Sir Alex Ferguson should have taken to management so easily.

Whether Keane makes the difficult step from great player to great manager will be judged over years rather than his first season.

But the early signs hint at a potential mix of Ferguson's drive with Clough's ability to squeeze the best out of players.

Keane's side have also inherited Manchester United's knack for dramatic late goals.

Genius is one per cent inspiration and 99 per cent perspiration

Famous quote by American inventor Thomas Edison

Quinn refers to Keane as having that "little bit of genius".

"Knowing him as a player, being around him and knowing the level of focus he has I should not have been surprised by what has happened," said Quinn. "But I would be telling lies if I said I knew the way it was going to turn out.

"I thought he was capable of turning this club around but I thought it would take him more time to prove it.

"What we didn't foresee was how good he is at his job.

"When we looked at appointing him we knew he had been spending time looking at the coaching side - he didn't just stop playing and say 'I'm going to become a coach'.

"We knew in his last few years he had been actively seeking his badges, attending games, reserve games, obscure non-League games.

"We didn't pluck him from the sky, we knew what his desire levels were.

"But to do it the way he has done it has been brilliant - I've really enjoyed watching him work."

Unquote

Ref. url:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...and/6588831.stm

While i wasn,t impressed by his antics regarding walkout in the world cup and letting everyone down including himself. ( IMHO )

He deserves the succes he has achieved and will go on to become an outstanding manager if he keeps the same attitude.

Sorry to say this to relevant interested parties, but............. I reckon either him or Brucie will go on to succeed Alex at Old Trafford when he decides to retire or otherwise ??? God forbid

marshbags :D

If he maintains the level of influence he has shown this season, then I will him well wherever he goes (unless he went to the 'Skunk Scum' up the road at the Landfill). If he's only here another season then so be it. Niall Quinn's passion for the club is just as important as Roy Keane's managerial skills. I anticipate that Quinn will be at the SSOL for at least another 5 years, so I am confident in his ability to run the club during that time.

Personally, I would have preferred Sam Allardyce or Martin O'Neill at the start of the season, but am pretty happy with how things have panned out under Roy Keane.

Sunderland Football Club has grown up a lot over the last 8-9 months and is a more professional run outfit both on and off the pitch than it was last time we were in the Premier League. Here's hoping for more than 15 points this time around! :o

Well its of to Harry's Bar at boat quay to celebrate promotion!!!!!!!!!

Haway the lads

Enjoy it! This promotion tastes sweeter than most and we've certainly had a few over the years ... :o

The yo-yo team - just how many seasons since the 70's have we NOT beeen involved in promotion or relegation battles?

"All there's left is hope" but hopefully with Quinny as chairman and some money we might jsut establish ourselves this time in the top flight.

Ok people , I have decided that if you want to have a pop at your least favourite teams you can now do so using a new thread thread

Those of you that continue to slag off other teams on their dedicated thread will be treated in a vulgar fashion..

You are still welcome to add sensible critique but try to be intelligient in your chocie of words.

Chon

Ok people , I have decided that if you want to have a pop at your least favourite teams you can now do so using a new thread thread

Those of you that continue to slag off other teams on their dedicated thread will be treated in a vulgar fashion..

You are still welcome to add sensible critique but try to be intelligient in your chocie of words.

Chon

There will be fines from the FA next ... :o

GET SET FOR THE BIG ROY RIDE

No real celebration. No need to state the obvious, that life under Roy Keane at Sunderland will be different. Keane insists the club has achieved nothing yet and until they end that 34-year search for a major trophy, that opinion will not change.

Keane has blown through Wearside like a whirlwind in his nine months in charge at the Stadium of Light. Now he needs to undertake drastic surgery, but at least on this occasion he has the tools – having been handed a £30million treasure chest by his board.

One of his predecessors, Mick McCarthy, after achieving promotion to the top flight two years ago, was handed nothing of the sort. Keane will be aware that if he wants to take the Premiership by storm, he needs a far bigger and stronger squad, starting with his defence.

Both Danny Simpson and Jonny Evans made a huge difference this season after arriving in January and both are due back at Old Trafford, with their loan periods expired. Evans has been a huge influence governing a defence which has been the launch pad for their promotion push. Persuading Sir Alex Ferguson to extend his loan period is going to need serious negotiation, but that is only the start.

Keane’s midfield engine room of Dwight Yorke, Dean Whitehead and Grant Leadbitter has to be improved. And then he will move to his strike force, which David Connolly top-scored with a paltry 12 goals.

Keane, a disciple of the Ferguson rule that you must constantly strive for more, knows big money must be spent, but on sensible targets. Keane said: “We do need to bring players in. We are stepping up into the big boys’ league and this is only the start. I can’t see the point in slapping ourselves on the back and telling each other how great we are. We have got promoted, but that is all. We haven’t won a bean and until we start doing that everything else is just hot air.”

Maybe so, but at least Sunderland have the crowd appeal to justify Keane’s plans. The Stadium of Light will be full to its 48,000 capacity more often than not next season and top signings will come to the North-east because of Keane.

As Cardiff boss Dave Jones put it, “Keane is a natural born winner. You don’t run the Old Trafford dressing room for 10 years without being a winner and that is what he demands. Back that up with a bit of money and you have a great combination.”

Keane and his chairman Niall Quinn have so far seen eye to eye despite the fact the former once called the latter “a muppet” for standing by McCarthy in his infamous World Cup row. Basically Quinn is wise enough not to interfere.

Keane does not need the money and he makes the rules at Sunderland. Earlier this season when asked what would happen if Quinn got involved in team matters he said: “I’d quit.”

The pair will eventually fall out because Keane could have a quarrel in a phone booth – with himself. He has been embroiled in spats with just about everyone he has been in contact with in the football world, including Ferguson.

And there is no harm in that. Keane does not mind ruffling feathers and he doesn’t do smoke and mirrors. His

players love his honesty and his professionalism. They are treated like kings in the best hotels and with the best facilities and it has paid off handsomely.

Hang on for the ride because Keane doesn’t do boring. He won’t win the Premiership next season, or even get close, but Wearside is convinced that something very special is in the air.

- Daily Express, 4 May 2007

Well done to Birmingham on winning the Championship title.

Moving on ...

Oops ... got that a bit wrong.

Well done Sunderland, from rock bottom to the very top in one season.

No big celebrations ... we'll see what we can do next season.

Pretty happy nevertheless ...

Admit it lads, you're all quaking at the prospect of Sunderland's return to the Premiership :o

May I remind you of our proud record in the last 2 seasons we enjoyed in the Premier League.

76 Played

7 Won

13 Drawn

56 Lost

47 Scored

134 Conceded

34 Points

Impressive stats. Still, we'll get more Premier League points and score more goals than a small penniless club from Yorkshire this season, so it's not all doom and gloom ... :D

Sad to say that we wont be meeting in the Premiership next season,,we keep kind of missing each other over the last couple of seasons.

Anyway,,,all the best for next year,,my mate from Seaham/North Luzon,Philippines is over the moon.

With Roy at the helm you,re bound to do well.

Dont do 2005/2006 season please.

All the best.

Admit it lads, you're all quaking at the prospect of Sunderland's return to the Premiership :D

May I remind you of our proud record in the last 2 seasons we enjoyed in the Premier League.

76 Played

7 Won

13 Drawn

56 Lost

47 Scored

134 Conceded

34 Points

Impressive stats. Still, we'll get more Premier League points and score more goals than a small penniless club from Yorkshire this season, so it's not all doom and gloom ... :D

my Geordie mate is very happy to see the mackems return....6 points guaranteed! :o

Admit it lads, you're all quaking at the prospect of Sunderland's return to the Premiership :D

76 Played

7 Won

13 Drawn

56 Lost

47 Scored

134 Conceded

34 Points

my Geordie mate is very happy to see the mackems return....6 points guaranteed! :o

With long ball Sam at the helm, I can't wait marra ...

Interesting article on Sunderland and the impact of Roy Keane; from The Times...:

Novice Keane sets the standard for Sunderland

“What Roy wants, Roy gets.” Charlie Chawke, Drumaville Consortium member.

THERE were searing expectations when Roy Keane decamped to Sunderland last August, some favourable, most doused in the red of fury. There were expectations of dust-ups in the dressing-room, of touchline rants at hapless referees and myopic linesmen. There were expectations of heated exchanges, volcanic rows and even an embittered departure. Expectations have not been met.

Hopes have been exceeded, however, and ambition renewed and, for that, Keane warrants unlimited credit. Niall Quinn may have restored the link between club and supporters – severed by two humiliating relegations from the Barclays Premiership and unfulfilled promises – but the chairman’s vision would have been meaningless without his compatriot’s unremitting drive.

Promotion has been achieved so stealthily, without histrionics. Contrast Sunderland with Birmingham City where, over the course of the season, Steve Bruce has complained about the club’s support, where Matthew Upson left in contentious circumstances, where directors signalled restlessness. On Wearside, momentum was slow to materialise, but it has snowballed.

For a novice in management, for a man whose trophy-laden playing career had ended months earlier, Keane’s achievement is remarkable. “His standards are incredible,” Quinn has said, but his ethos is simple; create a positive environment, let people thrive in their allotted jobs, encourage unity and do not stand for slipshod behaviour. Oh, and win.

Some examples:

History. Keane inherited a modern stadium and modern training ground. But where was the soul? Roker Park had been weighed down by its past, but the Stadium of Light was embarrassed by it. “He said it didn’t feel like a football club, that it could have been a hospital,” Quinn said. Pictures of Sunderland heroes now line the players’ tunnel. Being Sunderland means something.

If it is broke, fix it. When Keane arrived, players took ice baths in wheelie-bins. No longer. When a day’s training was lost to the weather last winter, he requested an inflatable marquee to allow outside practise to continue. It was purchased the same day; the same applied to specialist lighting equipment when Keane expressed his discontent with Sunderland’s pitch. In this regard, a compliant board helps.

A culture of no excuses. Even before home games, Sunderland’s first-team prepare in a plush hotel. The details are minute. “If they’re happy coming to work you can be pretty sure they’re going to play better,” Keane said. “If they come in and are disappointed with the environment and the training, hotels and travel arrangements, they won’t perform. You’ve got to treat them properly and show respect.” Bonding sessions have included paint-balling, white-water rafting and mountain biking.

The iron glove. Troublemakers have been moved on, but the likes of Liam Lawrence and Ben Alnwick did not receive public rebukes from Keane. When three players were running late before Sunderland’s match at Barnsley in March, Keane made the team bus leave without them; after a 2-0 victory, the chastened miscreants “brought the milk in,” the following morning. Indiscipline has been kept in-house, spirit has been maintained.

Each to their own. “One of the biggest problems when I first arrived was that everyone was doing everybody else’s jobs,” Keane said. “Pete (Friar), the physio, was the fitness coach as well. He was just about driving the buses. I’ve got people in their own roles now and they’re not getting bogged down by what’s happening everywhere else.” Keane does not attend board meetings and lets Quinn do the tactile stuff.

Genius. Brian Clough had it. So does Sir Alex Ferguson. Perhaps it has rubbed off on Keane. His side play simple, blissful football. The signings of Dwight Yorke, Anthony Stokes and Jonny Evans (on-loan) illustrated that a manager’s reputation will pay dividends in the transfer market. Dean Whitehead looks like a player again, Nyron Nosworthy was transformed from a lumpen full-back into a quality centre-half. Anger has been rationed; two tactics boards have been karate-kicked, but it could have been worse.

• 3 months later...

Had to happen. Only 2 matches into the season and new Sunderland hero Michael Chopra already has 2 songs ... :o

He's one of us

He's one of us

Chopra's one of us

Chopra is a Geordie

He wears a Mackem top

His family come from India

And they own a corner shop

It's al gan pear shaped bonnie lad.

More like Jason "pineapple" Lee than pear-shaped! Quite frankly that was the worst Sunderland performance I have seen by Sunderland for a long time. Even worse than many of their defeats last time round in the 15 point season. Utter crap! Given the runaround by Heskey ... :o

I think (and pray) that will be the last time Yorke wears a Sunderland shirt. Well past it.

Very likely that Keane will be active in the transfer market between now and the close of the transfer window. After all, he likes shopping!

More like Jason "pineapple" Lee than pear-shaped! Quite frankly that was the worst Sunderland performance I have seen by Sunderland for a long time. Even worse than many of their defeats last time round in the 15 point season. Utter crap! Given the runaround by Heskey ... :o

I think (and pray) that will be the last time Yorke wears a Sunderland shirt. Well past it.

Very likely that Keane will be active in the transfer market between now and the close of the transfer window. After all, he likes shopping!

Yes, he's been shopping today and bought Andy Cole, certainly one for the future :D

Yes, he's been shopping today and bought Andy Cole, certainly one for the future :D

Quality buy! Cole and Chopra to rip apart the Mags' defence at SJP (Sid James Park). Can't wait. :D

What a bloody useless signing!

You lot were never really in the game today sunderland mate , and you were playing an under strength Liverpool team who lost both it's centre backs to injury during the game :o .

I reckon you'll probably stay up though , an under strength\par Liverpool team is still better than 15 other tams in the premiership :D .