Sunderland Forum

Sunderland

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You lot were never really in the game today sunderland mate , and you were playing an under strength Liverpool team who lost both it's centre backs to injury during the game :D .

I reckon you'll probably stay up though , an under strength\par Liverpool team is still better than 15 other tams in the premiership :D .

We let you win. We just want you to win the league ahead of Man U and Chelsea. We're giving everyone a headstart like last season ... :o

Looks like Sunderland is quiet this evening. Hope he's alright and not done anything silly :o:D

I wish Keane was alright and would stop doing silly things. Reports in Sunderland say that he has put in a bid today to sign Peter Beardsley, Mickey Quinn and Malcolm MacDonald ... stranger things have happened.

Meanwhile, a minibus has been hired to bring the rest of the 1999 treble winning squad to Sunderland before Friday's transfer deadline.

Looks like Sunderland is quiet this evening. Hope he's alright and not done anything silly :o:D

I wish Keane was alright and would stop doing silly things. Reports in Sunderland say that he has put in a bid today to sign Peter Beardsley, Mickey Quinn and Malcolm MacDonald ... stranger things have happened.

Meanwhile, a minibus has been hired to bring the rest of the 1999 treble winning squad to Sunderland before Friday's transfer deadline.

It could have been worse, it could have been the 94 double winning side, so you'd have your mate Steve Bruce there as well.

:o League Cup ... Luton (league one) 3 Sunderland (Premier League yoyo merchants) 0

Why am I not really surprised? :D

The only difference compared to past failures at Sunderland is that we will have spent close to 40 million pounds this summer on absolute sh*te!

Ha'way the lads!! :D

:o League Cup ... Luton (league one) 3 Sunderland (Premier League yoyo merchants) 0

Why am I not really surprised? :D

The only difference compared to past failures at Sunderland is that we will have spent close to 40 million pounds this summer on absolute sh*te!

Ha'way the lads!! :D

You couldn't have put it better. Which ex United player will he now sign before the deadline. Ronnie Wallwork- Blackpool, David Bellion - Unsure, Eric Dejemba Dejemba - Villa or how about Quinton Fortune - unattatched.

Looks like Keanoes honeymoon period is quickly coming to an end.

Russell Anderson (£1million from Aberdeen)

Michael Chopra (£5million from Cardiff)

Andy Cole (free)

Dickson Etuhu (£1.5million from Norwich)

Craig Gordon (£7million (rising to £9mn) from Hearts)

Ian Harte (free)

Greg Halford (£3million from Reading)

Danny Higginbottom (£3million from Stoke)

Kenwyne Jones (£6million from Southampton) NEW

Paul McShane (£1.5million from West Brom)

Roy O'Donovan (undisc. from the Irish league)

Kieran Richardson (£5million ? from ManU)

Let's play spot the EPL standard players.

Gordon has played well thus far. Time will tell.

Richardson may be an average PL player.

But I'm struggling now. What a way to spend your TV rights money. :o

Far too much money for a goal keeper..& an average on at that who could hardly get into Hearts team last season due to diferences with the "strange" owner.

I hope Sunderland do well & establish themselves but Keane should stop signing players for the sake of it

Far too much money for a goal keeper..& an average one at that who could hardly get into Hearts team last season due to diferences with the "strange" owner.

I hope Sunderland do well & establish themselves but Keane should stop signing players for the sake of it

Mmmmmm ... are you fishing???? You should spend more time looking for bait! :o

Craig Gordon played 34 Scottish Premier League games and appeared 42 times in all competitions for Hearts last season.

Russell Anderson (£1million from Aberdeen)

Michael Chopra (£5million from Cardiff)

Andy Cole (free)

Dickson Etuhu (£1.5million from Norwich)

Craig Gordon (£7million (rising to £9mn) from Hearts)

Ian Harte (free)

Greg Halford (£3million from Reading)

Danny Higginbottom (£3million from Stoke)

Kenwyne Jones (£6million from Southampton) NEW

Paul McShane (£1.5million from West Brom)

Roy O'Donovan (undisc. from the Irish league)

Kieran Richardson (£5million ? from ManU)

Let's play spot the EPL standard players.

Gordon has played well thus far. Time will tell.

Richardson may be an average PL player.

But I'm struggling now. What a way to spend your TV rights money. :o

Oh yes! Happy days. Keane likes shopping alright!

And still a day and half more until the transfer window closes, so Roy still has time to bankrupt the club before the beginning of September.

Rumoured to be after Gibson (Man U), Jones (Derby) and Gravesen (Celtic) ... but expect Roy to sign at least 14 more players before midnight tomorrow. Nobody is safe, especially those who have ever played for Manchester United's youth team, Celtic, have an Irish grandmother or those who have spent 2 weeks on holiday in Trinidad.

Ha'way the lads!

• 2 weeks later...

some sad news for football fans

Sunderland's FA Cup final hero Porterfield dies aged 61

By Martyn Herman

LONDON, Sept 11 (Reuters) - Ian Porterfield, Sunderland's 1973 FA Cup final scoring hero, has died from cancer at the age of 61, the Premier League club confirmed on Tuesday.

Porterfield scored the winning goal against Don Revie's powerful and overwhelming favourites Leeds United side in one of the biggest FA Cup final upsets in the history of the competition.

His defining moment came after 30 minutes when he killed a clearance on his left thigh before smashing the ball into the roof of the net with his right foot past Leeds goalkeeper and fellow Scot David Harvey.

It was the only goal of the game and meant Sunderland became the first side from the old Second Division to win the cup for 42 years.

He stayed at Sunderland for another 10 years before moving to Sheffield Wednesday and beginning a long and varied coaching career.

His most recent post was as national coach of Armenia, but he was diagnosed with colon cancer earlier this year.

Porterfield replaced Alex Ferguson as coach of Aberdeen in 1986 and also had spells in club management with Chelsea and Reading before appointments that took him around the world.

He coached Zimbabwe, Zambia, Trinidad & Tobago and Oman, and also worked in South Korean club football.

"His death so young is a tragedy for his family and for football," Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson was quoted as saying on the BBC.

"It isn't long ago when he was coaching in Korea that I spoke with him with the intention of getting a few young players over to United."

rip ian porterfield.

some sad news for football fans
Sunderland's FA Cup final hero Porterfield dies aged 61

By Martyn Herman

LONDON, Sept 11 (Reuters) - Ian Porterfield, Sunderland's 1973 FA Cup final scoring hero, has died from cancer at the age of 61, the Premier League club confirmed on Tuesday.

Porterfield scored the winning goal against Don Revie's powerful and overwhelming favourites Leeds United side in one of the biggest FA Cup final upsets in the history of the competition.

His defining moment came after 30 minutes when he killed a clearance on his left thigh before smashing the ball into the roof of the net with his right foot past Leeds goalkeeper and fellow Scot David Harvey.

It was the only goal of the game and meant Sunderland became the first side from the old Second Division to win the cup for 42 years.

He stayed at Sunderland for another 10 years before moving to Sheffield Wednesday and beginning a long and varied coaching career.

His most recent post was as national coach of Armenia, but he was diagnosed with colon cancer earlier this year.

Porterfield replaced Alex Ferguson as coach of Aberdeen in 1986 and also had spells in club management with Chelsea and Reading before appointments that took him around the world.

He coached Zimbabwe, Zambia, Trinidad & Tobago and Oman, and also worked in South Korean club football.

"His death so young is a tragedy for his family and for football," Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson was quoted as saying on the BBC.

"It isn't long ago when he was coaching in Korea that I spoke with him with the intention of getting a few young players over to United."

rip ian porterfield.

:o:D I was there that day and remember it like yesterday

RIP Ian

I was there that day and remember it like yesterday

i was there too and have been trying to forget it eversince !

LOL

I can remember some of the Leeds buses going past and one guy about the same age as I was crying his eyes out and he looked at me - I still feel sorry for him today - it wasn't you was it :o

I ended up sharing a house with a Leeds supporter at Uni in Sheffield and he told me how he cried for hours after the game - if I put the video on he would walk out the room.

How many times have Leeds been champions of England???? (mmmmmmmm ... less than a crappy team called Sunderland) :o

What division will you be in next season????? :D

Divn't bother with answers on a postcard ... save your pennies for trips to Hartlepool and Swindon next season! :D

well leeds are the only team to win the premiership with english manager,all the rest have been foriengers.

Some quite sad news today about a Sunderland legend. I know we all enjoy taking the mckey out of Sunderland, but some sad news. Leeds fans might not remember him so fondly, but he was a genuine football guy, who played and managed at the top level.

Cup hero Porterfield dies at 61

Porterfield took over as coach of Armenia in August 2006

Sunderland legend Ian Porterfield has died, aged 61.

Porterfield, who scored the Black Cats' winning goal against Leeds United in the 1973 FA Cup final, had been suffering from cancer.

Born in Dunfermline, Porterfield also enjoyed a successful management career with Rotherham, Sheffield United, Aberdeen, Reading and Chelsea.

He went on to coach in Korea and took charge of several national teams, and his final job was as boss of Armenia.

Porterfield was in charge of Armenia for their superb 1-1 draw against Portugal in Yerevan on 22 August which left Luiz Felipe Scolari's superstars facing a fight to qualify for the European Championship finals in Austria and Switzerland next summer.

" His death so young is a tragedy for his family and for football"

Sir Alex Ferguson

Porterfield's widow Glenda said: "He may have been a football man all his life, but I know him best as a wonderful human being who was liked by everyone he came in contact with.

"He had his wish to die in harness. Just over two weeks ago, we flew to Armenia for the Portugal game and I'll always remember what happened at the open training session at the stadium on the day before the game.

"The stadium was packed to see all the Portuguese stars like Ronaldo, Deco and the rest, but when Ian walked out, they all stood up and shouted his name. It was very moving."

Porterfield replaced Sir Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen following his compatriot's departure for Manchester United in 1986 and the United boss said: "His death so young is a tragedy for his family and for football.

"It isn't long ago when he was coaching in Korea that I spoke with him with the intention of getting a few young players over to United.

"I played against him when he was with Raith Rovers. He was an exceptional footballer, blessed with a lot of natural talent."

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn told the club's website: "It is a very, very sad day for the football club and of course our immediate thoughts are with Ian's wife Glenda and his family during what is a tremendously difficult time.

"The word legend can be very much over-used in the modern era of football, but Ian is what I would call a true legend of the game.

"He is part of what can only be described as an institution in the long and proud history of Sunderland AFC - the famous FA Cup-winning team of 1973.

"His appearances for the club during 10 loyal years at Roker Park, not to mention his winning goal at Wembley, also ensure that his name is up there with the likes of Charlie Hurley, Raich Carter and Bobby Gurney."

Sunderland's next match in the Premier League at the Stadium of Light is against Reading - who Porterfield managed for 20 months until February 1991.

Source: BBC

Edited by mrtoad

Far too much money for a goal keeper..& an average one at that who could hardly get into Hearts team last season due to diferences with the "strange" owner.

Mmmmmm ... are you fishing???? You should spend more time looking for bait! :D

Craig Gordon played 34 Scottish Premier League games and appeared 42 times in all competitions for Hearts last season.

No, wasn't fishing. I didn't know he played so many games for Hearts last season so admit I was wrong. I was looking at the news & seeing his problems with the owners & his omission from the starting line up. :o

However, I still can't see what justifies that transfer fee for a goalie from a crap league. I hope he proves me wrong as I genuinely want Sunderland to stay up & go from strength to strength. I prefer the bigger clubs competing week after week. Fixtures such as Fulham v D***y hardly light up your enthusiasm to watch the game.

On a another note, the death of Ian Porterfield is sad time for all involved in football. Obviously his role in the Sunderland Leeds game is the high light but his continuous involvement at all levels of the game from domestic to international is something few actually achieve or attempt to do. R.I.P Ian Porterfield

Been so busy the last 2 days that I didn't catch up with this news on the Internet until this evening. Normally I don't find the death of former players too upsetting, but I do feel like the lights were dimmed tonight and that there's only Jim Montgomery still alive to keep strong memories of the '73 Cup win alive.

I was only 2 when Sunderland's only real true successful moment in my lifetime occurred, but grew up with the image of Porterfield's goal fresh in my mind. When you come from an area hungry for success and are consistently starved of it, then moments like Porterfield's goal against Leeds are deep rooted in your memory.

Far too young to die and truly one of the great characters in World football due to his involvement with clubs and nations across the globe.

RIP ... Sunderland legend without any shadow of doubt.

Out of sympathy, I'm bumping this thread, as Sunderland has been complaining that the Torquay United thread gets more prominence :o

Just wondering if Keane might try and get Lee Sharpe (Ex Torquay United/Manchester United) in, as he is available and wouldn't contravene the transfer rules. :D

Just wondering if Keane might try and get Lee Sharpe (Ex Torquay United/Manchester United) in, as he is available and wouldn't contravene the transfer rules. :D

Well, he is ex Man Utd and he is over 35 years of age. So it could be possible. :o

Honestly! The pair of you two should get a room! :D

Well, he is ex Man Utd and he is over 35 years of age. So it could be possible. :o

Where have you dissapeared? Thought you'd have added a few comments about the good point yesterday? :D

Me thinks you are out doing Karaoke with the scouse/pomepy duo :D

Where have you dissapeared? Thought you'd have added a few comments about the good point yesterday? :D

Me thinks you are out doing Karaoke with the scouse/pomepy duo :D

Who? Jez and Dave? Leave it out Rodney! :bah:

• 2 weeks later...

Beckham's move to Sunderland ruled out

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Roy Keane's Sunderland recruitment drive is unlikely to extend to former England skipper David Beckham.

Reports this morning suggested the 32-year-old Los Angeles Galaxy star could be handed a sensational return to the Barclays Premier League by his one-time Manchester United team-mate.

Sunderland were not commenting publicly on a report that they were ready to offer the midfielder a six-month loan spell at the Stadium of Light during the US close-season, although they privately played it down.

However, a spokesman for Beckham said: 'There will be no loan moves or short-term contracts. He is under contract to the Galaxy.'

Beckham is in the first year of a lucrative five-year deal with Galaxy which is said to be worth up to £128million, and is currently recovering from a knee injury after a frustrating start to his career on the other side of the Atlantic.

His club has prospered despite his absence in recent weeks and is pushing for a place in the end-of-season play-offs with the campaign due to draw to a close next month.

He flew back to England last week after his father Ted suffered a heart attack but has now returned to America.

There is little doubt that Sunderland - and many other clubs, for that matter - would jump at the chance to sign Beckham on a short-term basis, not just for his ability on the pitch but the publicity and merchandising opportunities his arrival would bring.

Keane's relationship with him - the pair spent a decade together at Old Trafford - would give him a headstart, and he has already taken former United colleagues Dwight Yorke, Andy Cole, Danny Higginbotham, Kieran Richardson, Paul McShane and Liam Miller to the Stadium of Light, as well as recruiting Jonny Evans and Danny Simpson on loan last season.

However, Beckham, who has also been linked with derby rivals Newcastle as well as a host of other English clubs, appears to be staying put despite doubts over his chances of reviving his England hopes from the US.

Keane invested in excess of £35million this summer in an effort to build a squad capable of making an impact in the Barclays Premier League after a triumphant Coca-Cola Championship campaign in his first season in charge.

Life in the top flight has been a little tougher, although that has come as no surprise to a man who spearheaded United' dominance of the domestic game.

Saturday's 2-1 home defeat by Blackburn was the Black Cats' second in four attempts on Wearside so far this season, and left them sitting 15th in the table with eight points from as many games and only three clear of bottom club Derby.

They are, however, only one win adrift of Aston Villa and the Magpies in ninth and 10th, respectively, although both have played a match fewer.

Sunderland face the daunting task of travelling to meet current leaders Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday with the Gunners having dropped only two of the 21 points they have contested to date.

But 19-year-old striker Anthony Stokes, who was on the north London club's books for 18 months before making a £2million move to the Stadium of Light in January, insists they should not be intimidated after battling well before losing 1-0 at Old Trafford.

The former Gunners trainee - who made just one senior appearance for them against his current employers said: 'It's a great place to go. We have got to go down there, give it our best shot and it enjoy it.

'Arsenal are unbeaten at the Emirates this season but my view is they have got to lose sometime. We cannot wait for the game.

'We can take heart from the performance at Old Trafford. We have proved we can hold our own against the top teams. There's a positive spirit here.'

redrus

Beckham's move to Sunderland ruled out

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Roy Keane's Sunderland recruitment drive is unlikely to extend to former England skipper David Beckham.

Reports this morning suggested the 32-year-old Los Angeles Galaxy star could be handed a sensational return to the Barclays Premier League by his one-time Manchester United team-mate.

Sunderland were not commenting publicly on a report that they were ready to offer the midfielder a six-month loan spell at the Stadium of Light during the US close-season, although they privately played it down.

However, a spokesman for Beckham said: 'There will be no loan moves or short-term contracts. He is under contract to the Galaxy.'

Beckham is in the first year of a lucrative five-year deal with Galaxy which is said to be worth up to £128million, and is currently recovering from a knee injury after a frustrating start to his career on the other side of the Atlantic.

His club has prospered despite his absence in recent weeks and is pushing for a place in the end-of-season play-offs with the campaign due to draw to a close next month.

He flew back to England last week after his father Ted suffered a heart attack but has now returned to America.

There is little doubt that Sunderland - and many other clubs, for that matter - would jump at the chance to sign Beckham on a short-term basis, not just for his ability on the pitch but the publicity and merchandising opportunities his arrival would bring.

Keane's relationship with him - the pair spent a decade together at Old Trafford - would give him a headstart, and he has already taken former United colleagues Dwight Yorke, Andy Cole, Danny Higginbotham, Kieran Richardson, Paul McShane and Liam Miller to the Stadium of Light, as well as recruiting Jonny Evans and Danny Simpson on loan last season.

However, Beckham, who has also been linked with derby rivals Newcastle as well as a host of other English clubs, appears to be staying put despite doubts over his chances of reviving his England hopes from the US.

Keane invested in excess of £35million this summer in an effort to build a squad capable of making an impact in the Barclays Premier League after a triumphant Coca-Cola Championship campaign in his first season in charge.

Life in the top flight has been a little tougher, although that has come as no surprise to a man who spearheaded United' dominance of the domestic game.

Saturday's 2-1 home defeat by Blackburn was the Black Cats' second in four attempts on Wearside so far this season, and left them sitting 15th in the table with eight points from as many games and only three clear of bottom club Derby.

They are, however, only one win adrift of Aston Villa and the Magpies in ninth and 10th, respectively, although both have played a match fewer.

Sunderland face the daunting task of travelling to meet current leaders Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday with the Gunners having dropped only two of the 21 points they have contested to date.

But 19-year-old striker Anthony Stokes, who was on the north London club's books for 18 months before making a £2million move to the Stadium of Light in January, insists they should not be intimidated after battling well before losing 1-0 at Old Trafford.

The former Gunners trainee - who made just one senior appearance for them against his current employers said: 'It's a great place to go. We have got to go down there, give it our best shot and it enjoy it.

'Arsenal are unbeaten at the Emirates this season but my view is they have got to lose sometime. We cannot wait for the game.

'We can take heart from the performance at Old Trafford. We have proved we can hold our own against the top teams. There's a positive spirit here.'

redrus

Clueless journalism at its best. We don't need Beckham anyway. Carlos Edwards will be back soon. Beckham isn't a bad player, but Edwards offers more to the team IMHO.

eh Sunderland mate, have you seen anything of Toadie or scousemouse ??? I'm trying to find out if we're all still on this coming Sunday for the footy night? :o

Scousemouse is on 5 weeks holiday from work. I know a mate of ours is in Bangkok, so my guess is he's on the piss with him.