New Zealand man charged for drug dealing in Phuket

webfact

1gram of a substance does not make him a dealer, thats ridiculous !

How stupid can people be? He will understand it every day of his 20 years sentence in Bangkok Hilton (or Phuket Hilton)

No 1 gram doesnt make him a dealer, but when you get a phone call from someone who wishes to purchase drugs, then you agree to meet that person. And when you meet that person you have over 2 grams of drugs on you, then that my friend makes you a dealer and in Thailand if you get caught dealing, you are in a world of shit

• Like 1

How stupid can people be? He will understand it every day of his 20 years sentence in Bangkok Hilton (or Phuket Hilton)

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Kiwi-charged-drug-dealing-Phuket/42866#ad-image-0

“We put a sting operation in motion after learning that Mr Grainge was selling drugs in the area. When we arrived at the meeting point, we presented our badges and searched him,” Lt Col Khunnadet told the Phuket Gazette.

No 1 gram doesnt make him a dealer, but when you get a phone call from someone who wishes to purchase drugs, then you agree to meet that person. And when you meet that person you have over 2 grams of drugs on you, then that my friend makes you a dealer and in Thailand if you get caught dealing, you are in a world of shit

I'm really surprised others don't get it.

The amount seized is trivial. He was in the process of meeting and selling his poison whether it be a kilo or a gram. The intent to sell is there.

Small fish are easily caught how about arresting those further up the supply chain, or are they to connected to face Thai Law.

The big fish seem to remain in business everywhere, what's the answer to the worlds drug problem?

Legalize. Tax. Educate.

Same way they got tobacco consumption down by making cigarettes "uncool".

• Like 1

You are totally mis informed. Meeting to sell to the police Total fabrication rubbish ...Grow up and smell the coffee folks. Whats a 1/10 of a gram worth?? 5 Satang?

“We put a sting operation in motion after learning that Mr Grainge was selling drugs in the area. When we arrived at the meeting point, we presented our badges and searched him,” Lt Col Khunnadet told the Phuket Gazette.

- See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Kiwi-charged-drug-dealing-Phuket/42866#ad-image-0

Doesn't matter what you think. Game over.

You are totally mis informed. Meeting to sell to the police Total fabrication rubbish ...Grow up and smell the coffee folks. Whats a 1/10 of a gram worth?? 5 Satang?

- See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Kiwi-charged-drug-dealing-Phuket/42866#ad-image-0

Innocent bystander

Innocent bystander

Ah yes. Great work Sherlock.

I hope you're not a lawyer because you would make a terrible one with a defence like that.

Innocent bystander

Ah yes. Great work Sherlock.

I hope you're not a lawyer because you would make a terrible one with a defence like that.

am and I know poor media work when I read or see it.

He was "giving away the substances" to a friend as he was due to fly out that day to meet friends and family in HK for Xmas & NY, police got lucky and he was caught with it, now has trumpeted up charges that he was a dealer, the drugs them self came from Patong Police (this i do no) and has to transfer 5million+ in to pay.

Like i stated he is not a dealer just took a chance and was caught, me personally would have put it down the toilet had i purchased, i certainly would not have travelled or communicated about.

He was "giving away the substances" to a friend as he was due to fly out that day to meet friends and family in HK for Xmas & NY, police got lucky and he was caught with it, now has trumpeted up charges that he was a dealer, the drugs them self came from Patong Police (this i do no) and has to transfer 5million+ in to pay.

Like i stated he is not a dealer just took a chance and was caught, me personally would have put it down the toilet had i purchased, i certainly would not have travelled or communicated about.

Well if he is buying drugs from the cops then I would say that is particularly stupid.

So he buys from the cops to give it away? This story keeps getting weirder and weirder.

I probably wouldnt be putting that he is in the process of bribing police. The newspapers troll these forums

5 million is not a "bribe" its the court cost and outcome "Fine" that or years in prison..

As to purchasing, my understanding is he purchases from a dealer, who are overseen by police, as to when and how he was caught, it was not in a circumstance where by he was actively "dealing aka selling".

This is what i have been informed.

That's unfortunate and a huge chunk of change to get it wiped out.

Expensive binge indeed.

Did the friend who was passing them off to grass him? Sure seems like it.

As to your comments about police, newspapers trolling these forums - are a lot of your scared? only this makes up a majority of your comments, sure if you have something to hide, do not post, but if like myself who has nothing to hide, to the point that i comment what i do actually understand to what is happening, why do you feel the need to reply with "You should not be saying this, police will test you" etc..."

And another thing ref friends - i guess when you know people for many years, yet you either know of their drug issues or not, you still do not judge them - i live on this philosophy as ultimately they are harming themselves only - Sure if i thought for a second he was dealing i would state so and wash my hands but ultimately financially he does not need to sell drugs.

Though haven spoken to some people in NZ and this being uncovered. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10682632

I now am in shock and disbelieve and certainly any ties have been cut.

After many years, you really, do not know people...

I wonder if the police know he is using a fake name.?

Another phuket site stated his real name but I'm unable to link it due to forum rules.

I know how you feel, it's like you have been conned and the disbelief of being fooled shocks you.

Wipe him.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So which one is the category 2 drug? They both should be category 1. Also, I thought I read an article here a while back that said Kratom is legal again?!

I would hazard a guess the Cocaine is cat 2, they have and never will have a big problem with that here as its too expensive

The Chrystal meth and its little brother Yeh Ba are a huge problem and its manufactured on Thailands door step

As to your comments about police, newspapers trolling these forums - are a lot of your scared? only this makes up a majority of your comments, sure if you have something to hide, do not post, but if like myself who has nothing to hide, to the point that i comment what i do actually understand to what is happening, why do you feel the need to reply with "You should not be saying this, police will test you" etc..."

And another thing ref friends - i guess when you know people for many years, yet you either know of their drug issues or not, you still do not judge them - i live on this philosophy as ultimately they are harming themselves only - Sure if i thought for a second he was dealing i would state so and wash my hands but ultimately financially he does not need to sell drugs.

I think the point trying to be made is that if you post about the amount of bribe involved to make these charges go away, and the media get a hold of it, the offer by police to accept a bribe mayl be taken off the table, as there is now public interest in the matter.

This may cause the case tp be dealt with properly, so, your friend will go to gaol, with no chance of any "negotiations" taking place.

Edited by NamKangMan

Though haven spoken to some people in NZ and this being uncovered. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10682632

I now am in shock and disbelieve and certainly any ties have been cut.

After many years, you really, do not know people...

Imagine if you were visiting him, or he was visiting you, if/when the police raided his place, or, you were in a car together, when stopped at a check point, and the drugs were in the car, not on his person - you would have a lot of explaining to do.

One must be careful who they associate with here.

• Like 1

I think the point trying to be made is that if you post about the amount of bribe involved to make these charges go away, and the media get a hold of it, the offer by police to accept a bribe mayl be taken off the table, as there is now public interest in the matter.

This may cause the case tp be dealt with properly, so, your friend will go to gaol, with no chance of any "negotiations" taking place.

AS Stated.

Fine is 5million or 10 years in prison, this is not a "Bribe" but a court payable request, as to it being removed it is unlikely as this is the Thai Law and Legal Options.

Naturally in light of recent information that has come to light, i have personally severed any ties. But will continue to observe the situation.

My advice to any one who knows or suspects that some one they know is doing or involved in drugs, to steer clear as its not a "cheap bribe" or "walk of cake" from what i've seen this case.

AS Stated.

Fine is 5million or 10 years in prison, this is not a "Bribe" but a court payable request, as to it being removed it is unlikely as this is the Thai Law and Legal Options.

Naturally in light of recent information that has come to light, i have personally severed any ties. But will continue to observe the situation.

My advice to any one who knows or suspects that some one they know is doing or involved in drugs, to steer clear as its not a "cheap bribe" or "walk of cake" from what i've seen this case.

Look buddy, you havent cracked too many winners since this forum started. The maximum fine for this amount is 200,000baht. Have a look at this article. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11379354

Even Gary Halpin who was selling drugs to school kids didnt get a 5 million baht fine, he also didnt get a next day trial.

This bloke Grainge is a small time fraudster who used his family and friends to obtain credit cards, he also lied to people about being 'retired', it seems now he has been over-staying in the country for 2 years. He is obviously a person that likes to cut corners, and isnt so forthcoming with the truth. So peddling drugs to survive ist so far fetched now. I hope he has been snookering some money away...not many people have 5 million baht lying around.

As far as the newspapers troling stories in this forum. They do it, and if your happy shooting your mouth off in this forum then go for it. I dont really care. But your friend might care if the press gets hold of all this info and publishes it, then I dare say it will cost him more and increase his jail time

• Like 1

AS Stated.

Look buddy, you havent cracked too many winners since this forum started. The maximum fine for this amount is 200,000baht. Have a look at this article. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11379354

Even Gary Halpin who was selling drugs to school kids didnt get a 5 million baht fine, he also didnt get a next day trial.

This bloke Grainge is a small time fraudster who used his family and friends to obtain credit cards, he also lied to people about being 'retired', it seems now he has been over-staying in the country for 2 years. He is obviously a person that likes to cut corners, and isnt so forthcoming with the truth. So peddling drugs to survive ist so far fetched now. I hope he has been snookering some money away...not many people have 5 million baht lying around.

As far as the newspapers troling stories in this forum. They do it, and if your happy shooting your mouth off in this forum then go for it. I dont really care. But your friend might care if the press gets hold of all this info and publishes it, then I dare say it will cost him more and increase his jail time

Hi, only going on what i am informed.

"For Category 1 Substances:

• Up to life imprisonment and a fine of 1,000,000-5,000,000 Baht for production, importation or exportation, unless for the purpose of disposal, in which case the penalty is death. The intention to 'dispose' is inferred through quantities defined in the Act
  • Up to life imprisonment and a fine of 100,000 – 5,000,000 Baht, or the death penalty, (depending upon the amount of the substance or substances found) for disposal or possession for the purpose of disposal
  • Up to 10 years imprisonment or a fine of 20,000 – 200,000 Baht for possession. Note again that if the quantity of the substance or substances found exceeds prescribed levels in the act, then possession for the purpose of disposal will be inferred. It should also be noted that 'disposal' is defined in the act as meaning to 'sell, distribute, give away indiscriminately, exchange or give
  • Up to 3 years imprisonment or a fine of 10,000 – 60,000 Baht for consumption

For Category 2 Substances:

• Up to 10 years imprisonment and a fine of 100,000 – 1,000,000 Baht for production, importation or exportation. If the substance or substances found include morphine, opium or cocaine the penalty is increased to imprisonment of 20 years to life and fine of 2,000,000 – 5,000,000 Baht
  • Up to 10 years imprisonment and a fine of 20,000 – 200,000 Baht or both for disposal or possession for the purpose of disposal. In the case of morphine, opium or cocaine, 3-20 years or a fine of 60,000 – 400,000 Baht if the amount is under 100 grams, or 3-20 years or a fine of 500,000 – 5,000,000 Baht if over
  • Up to 5 years or a fine not exceeding 100,000 Baht or both for possession. If the quantity is 100 grams of a pure substance or more, this will be regarded as possession for the purpose of disposal
  • Six months to three years or a fine of 10,000 – 60,000 Baht or both for consumption"

http://www.siam-legal.com/litigation/criminal-defence-drug-offences-in-thailand.php

Also found this for you, bare in mind cat 1 + cat 2 .

UPDATE:

Kiwi caught with drugs in Phuket also wanted back home
The Phuket News

1419906991_1-org.jpg
Madgwick/Taylor after his arrest in Phuket.

HAMILTON, NEW ZEALAND: The New Zealander caught in Phuket on meth and cocaine possession charges on Christmas Eve is also wanted in his home country on credit card fraud charges, the New Zealand Herald reports.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/787897-kiwi-caught-with-drugs-in-phuket-also-wanted-back-home/