Koh Tao murders trial underway at Samui Provincial court

webfact

Koh Tao murders trial underway at Samui Provincial court

suspects-arrive-at-court.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- The trial for the Koh Tao backpackers murders began today on Koh Samui against Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun who stand accused of seven charges, including the murders of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller, and the rape of Witheridge.

The Burmese pair have pleaded not guilty suspects arrive at courtto the charges and are widely believed to be Scapegoats in the case. The trial was due to begin in February but was unexpectedly brought forward, the accused arrived in court today, their families and Myanmar monks also attended the first day of the trial when it is expected that the defense lawyers will prepare to request the court to postpone hearing as documents/witness issues have not been satisfactorily prepared due to lack of time.

Burma’s government and upper house of parliament have pledged to provide financial and moral support to Burmese migrants Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, who are due in court on Friday to face charges of murdering two British tourists on the Thai island of Koh Tao.

Htoo Chit, one of the members of a delegation organised by the Burmese embassy in Bangkok, said, “On 19 December, we met with representatives of the upper house and they pledged to provide all necessary assistance, including financial support. Afterwards, we met with representatives of the President’s Office in Naypyidaw, led by deputy-minister U Aung Thein, and they offered to help us find witnesses by writing to local governments where they might live.”

He said most of the potential witnesses reside in southern Burma’s Tenasserim Division.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-12-26

Why aren't all people who were crying out load, innocent, help with a donations ? Funny where money is involved, people become quiet..

The Myanmar government are picking up the tab. Why does anyone need our support?

Extra funds are unlikely to be needed given the foregone conclusion we all know is coming, guilty or innocent.

Perhaps at least some of the outrage expressed on TV, results from the appalling procedures corrupting any real outcomes being found.

• Like 1

Can someone please clarify the situation regarding the leg irons for us? I thought I'd read that Yingluk Shinawat had ordered an end to this. All the money wasted by TAT can't erase the public relations disaster for the LOS that is the display of shackled prisoners.

Is it a matter of jurisdictions or just a refusal to follow through on Yingluk's legislation [?]

• Like 2

Still waiting for the British to release their findings .... this could get very interesting IF it doesn't match that of the RTP.

The Metroplitan Police replied to request from the Burmese guys solictors saying, we didnt collect anything, we were only allowed to look at what the RTP showed us, not allowed to ask questions, observe only a complete waste of time. You can see the whole letter on CSI LA koh tao facebook page.

Can someone please clarify the situation regarding the leg irons for us? I thought I'd read that Yingluk Shinawat had ordered an end to this. All the money wasted by TAT can't erase the public relations disaster for the LOS that is the display of shackled prisoners.

Is it a matter of jurisdictions or just a refusal to follow through on Yingluk's legislation [?]

My wife is treated for cancer in Chiang Mai. When we go for the chemo there is also a prisoner present who comes for a chemo. He is shacled all through the treatment. There are also two guards present. So... if someone ordered an end to this, the order is disobeyed in at least two places.

mihilas post # 7

Why aren't all people who were crying out load, innocent, help with a donations ? Funny where money is involved, people become quiet..

Perhaps had you been following the threads on this matter you would be aware that a fund was opened and money has been subscribed to the defense fund.

post-147580-0-80337100-1419561401_thumb.

IMPORTANT! HOW DEFENSE TEAM IS FUNDED

While we are not allowed to post here seeking help, I have now been authorized to advise all on these TVF postings that

"Thanks. Whatever comes into my account is for the boys defense, I had no other income so it's clearly 100% going to the case, you can reassure them! Andy."

Andy is of course Andy Hall who has been supervising the fund and disbursing it's proceeds; the same fund that I am monitoring to assure all that he is doing a great job.

Please find the fund on line using a Google search for "you care Burmese defendants" and key words such as that.

Andy Hall is extensively found with a Google search as well. Contact him directly if any need further assurances.

I can be reached by IM if you have any direct pertinent questions for me.

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

According to Andy hall the witness testimony dates have been set for July and August 2015. This gives plenty of time for both sides to get their cases in order.

This is a positive, let's just hope the B2 are allowed some kind of supervised bail for those long 7 months and that some kind of assistance can go to their families who rely on the money they would have otherwise earned.

Source https://twitter.com/Atomicalandy

Update on today's case from the Samui Times

Update – while in court today emotional scenes were witnessed in the courtroom as parents/family of Zaw Lin/Wei Phyo (Koh Tao accused) held and clung to their sons during the hearing. Zaw Lin’s produced his passport in response to the prosecutors charge of illegal stay in Thailand, he was lawfully residing in Thailand at time of his arrest. Zaw Lin and Wei Phyo’s words written in Koh Samui court today: ‘Before during the case investigation we had no chance or right to prove/speak out our innocence/the truth. We are victims of influential people. Koh Samui court head judge just asked both Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo: ‘If u not involved in this crime, tell us who is. Don’t be scared.’ Zaw Lin/Wei Phyo both replied strongly to the judge’s question: ‘We really don’t know. We were drunk, just went back home. We know nothing.’ Prosecution witness hearings set as 8th July to 28th August 2015. Defense witness hearings set as 1st September to 25th September 2015.

• Like 1

Feel that this should be bought to people's attention in this discussion.

On Dec 22nd at 3pm the BBC ran, one time only, on Radio 2 an item stating that the Met Police have found inconsistencies and confusion in the RTP evidence. Rather than post the audio file again I thought I would just link to where I have already posted this audio.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781951-family-of-brits-murdered-in-thailand-say-evidence-convincing/page-73#entry8852184

I transcribed the audio yesterday as follows

The Metropolitan Police says there's confusion and inconsistencies in the investigation in Thailand into the murder of 2 British tourists on the island of Koh Tao. Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were killed in September. Scotland Yard, which is observing the Thai enquiry, says there are questions about the strength of the case against the 2 men from Burma charged with murder.

I heard this too. Also amazed only aired once.

If the request is denied then it must beg the question why, and in addition to that it would also seriously cast some doubt about the fairness of the whole thing.

Must also add that it is despicable that these guys are wearing leg irons, it's utterly barbaric as they are as of this present moment innocent of all charges. Hope the boys' legal team get at the very least the chance to prove their innocence

The moment I saw the picture I wanted to write a post about barbaric leg irons. Bloody disgusting and another reason why I dislike this country.

• Like 2

To much blah blah in this case. <deleted>, the police nor do u judge!! The police have enough (produced or not) evidence to bring em to trial. The case is now at the right instance. The court will do the rest, AND they will look into both prosecutors and defendants points of view.

Cheers from rainy Mui

• Like 1

They always put prisinors in leg irons in thailand. It is done to imply guilt and help prosecute whoever is unfortunate enough to find themselves in prison here. Especially if they are scapegoats to cover influential peoples crimes.

It is barbaric. When worn great care needs to be taken to avoid any broken skin from them and subsequent infection from the filthy conditions they are foced to endure.

Thefe are some interesting books giving first hand accounts from jail time of foreigners here.

"the damage done" being one.

• Like 1