Koh Tao murders trial underway at Samui Provincial court

webfact

Mr lamai post # 29.

To much blah blah in this case. <deleted>, the police nor do u judge!! The police have enough (produced or not) evidence to bring em to trial. The case is now at the right instance. The court will do the rest, AND they will look into both prosecutors and defendants points of view.

Cheers from rainy Mui

So why did you stir the pot then? Perhaps you should take your own advice.whistling.gif

• Like 1

Still waiting for the British to release their findings .... this could get very interesting IF it doesn't match that of the RTP.

What does the "British findings" have anything to do with an investigation and trial in Thailand. The answer is zip

• Like 1

According to Andy hall the witness testimony dates have been set for July and August 2015. This gives plenty of time for both sides to get their cases in order.

This is a positive, let's just hope the B2 are allowed some kind of supervised bail for those long 7 months and that some kind of assistance can go to their families who rely on the money they would have otherwise earned.

Source https://twitter.com/Atomicalandy

Update on today's case from the Samui Times

Update – while in court today emotional scenes were witnessed in the courtroom as parents/family of Zaw Lin/Wei Phyo (Koh Tao accused) held and clung to their sons during the hearing. Zaw Lin’s produced his passport in response to the prosecutors charge of illegal stay in Thailand, he was lawfully residing in Thailand at time of his arrest. Zaw Lin and Wei Phyo’s words written in Koh Samui court today: ‘Before during the case investigation we had no chance or right to prove/speak out our innocence/the truth. We are victims of influential people. Koh Samui court head judge just asked both Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo: ‘If u not involved in this crime, tell us who is. Don’t be scared.’ Zaw Lin/Wei Phyo both replied strongly to the judge’s question: ‘We really don’t know. We were drunk, just went back home. We know nothing.’ Prosecution witness hearings set as 8th July to 28th August 2015. Defense witness hearings set as 1st September to 25th September 2015.

In my opinion - The judge was daring them to mention the little rat and his father. A definite life sentence would have followed. Now , it appears their silence has been arranged.

Still waiting for the British to release their findings .... this could get very interesting IF it doesn't match that of the RTP.

Does anyone think that the Brits will release anything??........If they have some evidence that could cause this case to collapse.....then they had better be quick....!

The court will still have to accept any new findings to allow this to happen.......

Leg irons are worn by all remand prisoners appearing in court to prevent escape. Prisoners accused of or serving time for violent crimes remain shacked in jail too. The remainder have them removed when they return to the prison from court.

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

Why aren't all people who were crying out load, innocent, help with a donations ? Funny where money is involved, people become quiet..

i think your criteria are profoundly naive - actually quite spurious, I fail to see what, if anything, you contribute nothing to the discussion which is in the end about the Thai legal system.

If the request is denied then it must beg the question why, and in addition to that it would also seriously cast some doubt about the fairness of the whole thing.

Must also add that it is despicable that these guys are wearing leg irons, it's utterly barbaric as they are as of this present moment innocent of all charges. Hope the boys' legal team get at the very least the chance to prove their innocence

Beg the question why? Seems obvious that it is because by February high tourist season will almost be finished..

Leg irons are worn by all remand prisoners appearing in court to prevent escape. Prisoners accused of or serving time for violent crimes remain shacked in jail too. The remainder have them removed when they return to the prison from court.

HTH

They are parading that top corruption cop around without shackles.

Samui court head judge just asked both Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo: If u not involved in this crime, tell us who is. Dont be scared. how can a judge asked this?

I mentioned in another thread that judges in Thailand in criminal cases have tremendous scope to ask what they like, to allow and disallow what evidence and witnesses they feel are relevant or not and to direct or curtail examination from lawyers.

I am unable to believe that the judge has not had discussions with senior police and political figures given the publicity surrounding this case.

If this case is reported in its entirety, you will see a lot stranger things than this but most of it will be in the form of omission and not allowing certain evidence.

Pro-Somyot posters have led us to believe that this will resemble an adversarial trial as one might see in the UK. One of their favourite phrases is a "vigorous defence". I think what you will see will be closer to a pantomime.

If judges have tremendous scope, does that create a potential for them to have tremendous wealth?

• Like 1

I don’t think anyone should get too excited about anything the UK police are going to come up with. This is from The Guardian:

……The rights group Reprieve wrote to the Met requesting that it hand over any relevant information.

However, the Met’s legal services team wrote back to say the force did not hold any details of the case. Its letter to Reprieve said: “The Thai authorities permitted the UK police officers to have observer status only in relation to limited parts of the Royal Thai police’s investigation, and the UK police officers did not provide any advice or assistance with that investigation.

Most telling is the final paragraph:

“They did not take possession of any physical evidence, forensic evidence, exhibits, interviews or statements. The Royal Thai police provided an interpreter who verbally translated documents that formed limited parts of the prosecution case.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/23/police-thai-inquiry-britons-murder

All a bit of a waste of time really.........

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sounds like this is all going to be tidied up before the new year. Nice and neat ready for a clean start to the new year.
One wonders why the Myanmar government are providing such extensive support?

I wondered this myself, as they have no way of knowing anymore than we do if they are actually guilty or innocent.

I just hope all the truth comes out to the satisfaction of everyone, and they get a fare trial.

Samui court head judge just asked both Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo: If u not involved in this crime, tell us who is. Dont be scared. how can a judge asked this?

I mentioned in another thread that judges in Thailand in criminal cases have tremendous scope to ask what they like, to allow and disallow what evidence and witnesses they feel are relevant or not and to direct or curtail examination from lawyers.

I am unable to believe that the judge has not had discussions with senior police and political figures given the publicity surrounding this case.

If this case is reported in its entirety, you will see a lot stranger things than this but most of it will be in the form of omission and not allowing certain evidence.

Pro-Somyot posters have led us to believe that this will resemble an adversarial trial as one might see in the UK. One of their favourite phrases is a "vigorous defence". I think what you will see will be closer to a pantomime.

I taught some Thai judges who told me this.

If the people weren't guilty, why would the police charge them with the crime and send them to trial.

Nuff said.

Thai justice in a nutshell.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The burning questions (s) are - IMO

WHO did harass Hannah at AC Bar?

What are the testimonies of Hannah & David's friends?

Did Hannah suffer a gunshot wound?

I saw Crime Photos on the Internet, before they removed them, and no, Hannah did not suffer a gunshot wound. That Beautiful Girls

Head looked lop-sided as the left side of her head was bashed in by some club.

I doubt there friends could contribute anything. After the bar they all proceeded home separately, including David and Hannah. The mystery and reason behind that is that they didn't want there friends to know that they obviously planned to meet secretly later, on the beach. With both of them travelling with friends from back home, and perhaps both having a BF or GF back home, they did not want to chance that someone would find out about there secret meeting, and tell.

I have had several GF who were harassed in a bar while I went to the toilet for example, and none of them turned up dead. I am sure many other posters can say the same. It is worth taking a second look at this person, which I am sure the police have done, so I assume he was cleared of any wrong doing.

• Like 1

Why aren't all people who were crying out load, innocent, help with a donations ? Funny where money is involved, people become quiet..

And how the heck do you know who donated what? I have donated some money to one of the fund raising campaigns and I'm sure more posters have done the same...

Well, I for one thank you for your Donation to a Rape Victims Fund on behalf of Hannah. The World could use more people like you willing to give your hard earned money towards helping Victims of Violent Crimes.

monkeysu, on 26 Dec 2014 - 10:49, said:monkeysu, on 26 Dec 2014 - 10:49, said:

attachicon.gifMet report 1.jpgattachicon.gifmet report 2.jpg

These are the UK MET findings!

And 3 days later the BBC ran a news item on BBC Radio 2 to say the Met were not happy with the case! Do we have a whistleblower in the Met I wonder?

Edited by IslandLover

attachicon.gifMet report 1.jpgattachicon.gifmet report 2.jpg

These are the UK MET findings!

All they got was a police interpreter verbally translating some limited of their evidence (probably in incomprehensible broken English). LOL

So they got much less information about the evidence than the police had already disbursed in their multiple press conferences and Facebook accounts. That was a really good use of British taxpayers' money.

• Like 1

The burning questions (s) are - IMO

WHO did harass Hannah at AC Bar?

What are the testimonies of Hannah & David's friends?

Did Hannah suffer a gunshot wound?

I saw Crime Photos on the Internet, before they removed them, and no, Hannah did not suffer a gunshot wound. That Beautiful Girls

Head looked lop-sided as the left side of her head was bashed in by some club.

I doubt there friends could contribute anything. After the bar they all proceeded home separately, including David and Hannah. The mystery and reason behind that is that they didn't want there friends to know that they obviously planned to meet secretly later, on the beach. With both of them travelling with friends from back home, and perhaps both having a BF or GF back home, they did not want to chance that someone would find out about there secret meeting, and tell.

I have had several GF who were harassed in a bar while I went to the toilet for example, and none of them turned up dead. I am sure many other posters can say the same. It is worth taking a second look at this person, which I am sure the police have done, so I assume he was cleared of any wrong doing.

There is also a strong possibility that they weren't feigning lack of interest in each other for the benefit of their friends but genuinely had no romantic interest in each other and didn't plan to meet secretly at the beach.

You cannot tell from the photographs whether there was a gunshot wound or not prior to the wounds caused by the hoe.

I taught some Thai judges who told me this.

If the people weren't guilty, why would the police charge them with the crime and send them to trial.

Nuff said.

Thai justice in a nutshell.

A Thai criminal lawyer once told me it's not that easy to bribe a judge. You can't just go direct to him and offer him cash, as you would a policeman, he said. You have to find a conduit, such as someone who as at university with him and make the offer indirectly through that person.

Perhaps he was just trying to justify his lawyer's fees by making it sound more complicated than it really is.