Australian man died while on Koh Phangan for 'Ibogaine' treatment, paper reports

Australian man died while on Koh Phangan for 'Ibogaine' treatment, paper reports
By Coconuts Bangkok

smithspark.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An Australian man died after traveling to Koh Phangan for a controversial treatment for drug addiction.

Brodie Smith, 33, reportedly died in late October after traveling to the island with his girlfriend to take Ibogaine, an African hallucinogenic believed by some to be a radical cure for chronic addiction, according to a Monday report in The Sydney Morning Herald.

The paper reports Smith arrived to the island on Oct. 20 with high hopes of turning his life around with the $5,300 treatment, but was dead the next day on what was to be the first session.

His girlfriend, Kara Spark, was quoted in the Herald laying the blame squarely on Ibogaine Thailand, which provides the service. Ibogaine Thailand was featured in a Coconuts TV report about the treatment.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/12/26/australian-man-died-while-koh-phangan-ibogaine-treatment-paper-reports

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-12-26

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another outstanding endorsement for medical tourism for Thailand.

"an African hallucinogenic believed by some to be a radical cure for chronic addiction" It did what was promised.

Another outstanding endorsement for medical tourism for Thailand.

This was not medical tourism. To quote Andrew Drummond:

"they have no premises, no medical qualifications, and employ no staff, medical or otherwise"

"Their only item of medical equipment is a heart rate monitor"

Exactly. I must admit watching them use the heart rate monitor looked impressive in the video but goodness knows what they'd do in an emergency; at least in a Thai clinic, they try to look the part, even if sometimes they don't really know what they're doing.

Nevertheless, the treatment itself so far claims to have a high success rate, in the short-term anyway.

However, if I were ever in the unfortunate position to need to undergo such a controversial treatment, supervision by some properly trained clinicians wouldn't go amiss.

• Like 2

I first hear of Ibogaine in renowned drug user & gonzo journalist Hunter S Thompson's "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail". I think I read that heroin was initially promoted as a cure for opium addiction.

Yes I agree he used a "quack" - maybe that was all he could afford.

Actually, it wasn't his idea (again according to Andrew Drummond). It was his girlfriend who chose the treatment and paid for it.

Different factors influence where one might go for help: finances, location etc; when you're sick, you will do anything to get well again.

I'm certainly no expert but there are risks involved in drug treatment and many factors can contribute to the risk, not just the treatment method itself. Ibogaine studies in New Zealand by Dr. Geoff Noller predict that mortalities from Ibogaine could merely be proportionate to that of methadone. In some countries, it's banned and in others it is 'non-approved but prescribable' (Otago Daily Times, Nov 2014).

So, as studies continue, I guess it is a case of making ones own choice as to whether this would be a viable option and if so, where one would undergo it.

This is a tragedy and as previously stated, you have to feel for the guy who merely wanted to get his life together.

Sincere condolences to his family and fiancée.

• Like 1

These people need to be arrested IMMEDIATELY.

They obviously have no idea what this drug is or does. Ibogaine (or Iboga) comes from a West African country, I forget which, and is used in initiation rites by the local tribes people.

What it does is, is make the user face his/her past. All the nasty things they have done to others. You face you worst nightmares. Your own conscience.

It is so powerful that people can die of a massive heart attack because of what they have done. If you are a bad person, you WILL be very badly affected.

This guy probably did.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid