'69 sighting' in Patong leads police to Iranian thieves

Lite Beer

'69 sighting' in Patong leads police to Iranian thieves

Eakkapop Thongtub

1419646009_1.jpg

Police are cheerful after working hard to book the bad boys.

PHUKET: The selective memory by one robbery eye-witness, of the number “69”, ultimately helped police track down two thieves wanted for stealing “millions of baht” from various guesthouse safes and lockers in Patong over the previous few days.

Patong police yesterday (December 26) apprehended the two Iranian “tourists”, identified as Mr Ghorbaniaf Sharr Shahram, 48, and Mr Emery Sfaharin, 42.

After an interrogation and successfully garnering a confession from the suspects yesterday evening at Kathu Police Station, authorities formally charged the men for using a vehicle to commit robbery and forced entry or vanalism, and are considering at least one more charge.

Police had been tracking the suspects down since Christmas Eve (December 24) after officers were alerted by victims at several guesthouses and hotels in the area that someone had broken into their safes/lockers and stolen guests'deposits.

Investigators were able to gather CCTV images of the two men, moving around on a motorbike, using screwdrivers and other prying devices to break open safes and lockers at several guesthouses, before running off with guests’ cash stored inside.

However, the CCTV footage was unable to show clear shots of the culprits faces, since both wore helmets while commiting the deeds, police said.

Luckily, one eyewitness said he remembered their license plate to be “169”. Police then 'diligently searched for vehicles believed to have been used in the crimes – a Yamaha Nuvo scooter – with said plate numbers.

Police searched Patong tirelessly on Christmas Eve and Chirstmas day for “69” but to no avail. Finally, on Boxing day, they found a Yamaha Nuvo with the plate numbers “163” parked at the Ban Ton Sai Bungalo and staked it out.

Police spotted the two suspects leave the guesthouse on the scooter at one point, and proceeded to follow them to a currency exchange booth where the men exchanged some money before returning to the guest house.

Police were convinced that they had their culprits after comparing their observations to the men in the CCTV, and proceeded to move in for the grab in room number 119.

Inside the room, police found screwdrivers, a helmet, prying devices, and money in multiple currencies “valued million”.

Police seized the booty and detained the suspects for further questioning at Kathu Police Station.

Several victims came to the police station to finger the suspects, Thai style.

Police said the suspects are believed to have broken into some 20 lockers or safes over the last several days.

Furthermore, police are looking into whether the suspects had spiked “power drinks” that they allegedly offered to hotel attendants before committing their acts.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/69-sighting-in-patong-leads-police-to-iranian-thieves-50329.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-27

• Like 1

Whilst married to a Thai National and mainly living out of the country with my wife, this type of crime by this type of Farang, makes me not care how strict Thai Immigration are.

Christ you're naive. After having paid off a local prosecutor and police captain, my particular thieving piece of sh1t then paid of Immigration to turn a blind eye to his outstanding Arrest Warrant to fly out of the country. Some of you ... blink.png

• Like 2

More filth. For every scum they catch there is still another 10 operating.

Why can't immigration racially profile these people? Every other aspect of thai society is racist so why not when it comes to immigration?

Serious question.

99% of Iranian arrested in Thailand are smuggling meth. This one is a bit odd. They are diversifying. Its truethey need to profile these sort of scum. Iranians going into any western country they would be given the 3rd degree. Either refugees, war criminals or smugglers. There arent that many Iranians that can afford to travel

• Like 1

"Several victims came to the police station to finger the suspects, Thai style."

Words elude me.....I wonder what kind of "Thai style" fingering they'll get in jail & dammit, how can we be sure they're the "thwarted culprits" without somebody pointing at them?

Edited by LivinginKata
joke removed
  • Like 1

I'm tired of all the arrests. Let me know when bad guys are sentenced to 10 years at the Phuket Hilton. Until then, everyone just pays their way out and sent on their way. I think every thief should have their hands bashed with a hammer. Thai or farang, you steal, no jail time...just hamburger hands for a while.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why can't immigration racially profile these people? Every other aspect of thai society is racist so why not when it comes to immigration?
Serious question.

99% of Iranian arrested in Thailand are smuggling meth. This one is a bit odd. They are diversifying. Its truethey need to profile these sort of scum. Iranians going into any western country they would be given the 3rd degree. Either refugees, war criminals or smugglers. There arent that many Iranians that can afford to travel

Try Pratunam. Plenty of hotels and restaurants owned by Iranians.

• Like 2

The caption says the police are cheerful.

The one in uniform facing the table isn't. He must have been told by the boss he cannot share in the loot on the table I imagine.

I hope all the criminals in the picture get time in jail.

Serious question.

Well, when the tourism advertising campaigns target single male foreigners it is sort of hard to profile out single male foreigners.

Serious question.

Well, when the tourism advertising campaigns target single male foreigners it is sort of hard to profile out single male foreigners.

Phuket is a family destination for the most part. Most drug smugglers, theives and scammers that are convicted by Thai authorities come from Russia, Nigeria, India, Pakistan, Iran and The Phillipines (Women drug smugglers). Just read the newspapers...Not hard to profile those types really

Edited by Bogan Koori

Thoroughly Agree JPEG, - I have been totally ripped off twice in the same manner. First time by the Thai apartment owner who got a copper to get my residential adress and they "fixed" my bike for an accident; - Then in spite of an admission of guilt, paid the prosecutor to rule "No case to answer." Second time a German tenant ("friend??) sold everything while I was overseas and in spite of being found to be 4-years overstay the police did not detain him. His brother (known as Mr.Chris Paesel) paid the BiB to let him leave Thailand, in spite of an 'arrest warrant.' Even though I am acquainted with a few very good police officers, there are many others (together with their associates), who are totally corrupt and make their big profits out of releasing high level criminals, so traffic fines are just "tea money" for them. It is pointless complaining to the police about criminals, (as maybe some are also criminals?); - My advice to anyone is that perhaps it is better to get one of the "local mafia" (Thai, Russian or German?), to assist you with any problems.