Wierd Solar Phenomenon

CMguy

anybody else look at the sun lately, I see the most unusual rainbow anybody know the cause?

Under no circumstances should you look at the sun. If you do you will certainly start seeing strange things as it starts to damage your eyes and given enough time looking at it will cause total blindness. I'm not trying to sound cute in reply to whether or not there is some strange phenomenon or not, just trying to warn people that looking at the sun with the naked eye under any circumstances is NOT a good idea.

anybody else look at the sun lately, I see the most unusual rainbow anybody know the cause?

Under no circumstances should you look at the sun. If you do you will certainly start seeing strange things as it starts to damage your eyes and given enough time looking at it will cause total blindness. I'm not trying to sound cute in reply to whether or not there is some strange phenomenon or not, just trying to warn people that looking at the sun with the naked eye under any circumstances is NOT a good idea.

You are absolutely right Soju, looking directly at the sun can cause blindness, just like in my teenage years I have to be warned to keep away from activies that may lead to blindness :o , Thanks for looking out.

You are absolutely right Soju, looking directly at the sun can cause blindness, just like in my teenage years I have to be warned to keep away from activies that may lead to blindness :o , Thanks for looking out.

..... and the proverbial answer......

How about if I look just until I need glasses.???????

:D

Edited by Gonzo the Face

If you see a rainbow everytime you look toward the sun then you should probably go see a doctor as you might have an eye infection.

A friend of mine visited a sex show and was hit in the eye by a ping-pong ball. The rest is history. :o

Edited by lamphun

If you see a rainbow everytime you look toward the sun then you should probably go see a doctor as you might have an eye infection.

A friend of mine visited a sex show and was hit in the eye by a ping-pong ball. The rest is history. :D

Hmmm.... A 'friend' eh? :o:D

A friend of mine visited a sex show and was hit in the eye by a ping-pong ball. The rest is history. :o

was it your "little friends" eye that got hit? :D:D

was it your "little friends" eye that got hit? :D:D

I hear that someone that little should not be out alone

:D

http://www.strudel.org.uk/blog/astro/000347.shtml

Standard sunglasses provide inadequate protection. Welder's glasses DIN 10 or more are sufficient.

Then again, you may not be able to see the rainbow phenomenon that way.

It could be possible that the rainbow phenomenon you are seeing is partially caused by the planet March which currently is very close to the Sun from an Earth point of view.

Funny you should bring this up as I was going to mention it before. I was in Tak a month or so back and I was on the back of the motorbike and for some reason looked up to the sun and I saw a rainbow like I have never seen before.

Unlike the usual rainbow where it appears to come down to earth and have 'ends' this rainbow circled the sun, just like a big ring around it. On top of that as I looked a bit more I noticed it was in fact two big rings, the outer one more transparent than the inner. I've seen double rainbows before, but only of the standard variety, never like this.