what's the problem with this watermelon?

wellred

The article reads:

News Report

Right now there are a lot of watermelons being sold in the market. If you buy a watermelon and cut it open and it looks like the picture below, DON'T eat it because it has been sprayed (injected?) with a substance which accelerates the reddening process. Please share this with others.

Edited by Gecko123

A dye is injected to make it look red.

There has been a lot of talk among watermelon growers lately of injecting red dye into watermelons to make them look more appealing.

Apparently they're getting away with it at the moment as health dept mobile laboratories tests can only detect pesticides and not food colouring.

A dye is injected to make it look red.

There has been a lot of talk among watermelon growers lately of injecting red dye into watermelons to make them look more appealing.

Apparently they're getting away with it at the moment as health dept mobile laboratories tests can only detect pesticides and not food colouring.

They've been doing it for at least 15 years that I know of. If it's cochineal I don't see a problem but I've heard stories of paint being used.

I was also told that they use a chemical to ripen tomatoes but I have no proof.

The article isn't talking about a dye; it talks about something which speeds up the reddening (ripening) process.

It sounds like they may be talking about the growth hormone forchlorfenuron.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/03/why-are-nonorganic-watermelons-exploding-in-china.aspx

Edit: BTW, I ate a watermelon that fits this description about a month ago.

Edited by Gecko123

The article isn't talking about a dye; it talks about something which speeds up the reddening (ripening) process.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/03/why-are-nonorganic-watermelons-exploding-in-china.aspx

and do you got red intestines-or haven't looked yet???facepalm.gif

Gecko is correct. It is an accelerant to the ripening process. It also allows the watermelon to be kept in refrigeration for a long time.

Perhaps not. The article about forchloroxxxx states it is sprayed on flowers and very early set fruit to promote growth. The OP article talks about an injection into mature fruit to accelerate ripening or accentuate redness.

I suspect the OP may not be referring to forchloroxyz but something else.

A worry nonetheless/either way.

The OP article talks about an injection into mature fruit to accelerate ripening or accentuate redness.

The OP's FB post uses the verb "chit" which can mean "to spray" as well as "to inject."

Thanks, point taken. I guess I assumed "injected" because the yellow marks in the mellon in the photo look like a straight line with a blackened point of entry.

Regardless of what chemical (unless, as mentioned by a poster it's cochineal), I would be wary.

As I said they have been unverified reports that they use a ripening agent for tomatoes but as far as I know they just soak them in it.

If you look at the pics the seeds are white not black. I would be wary of eating a watermelon with white seeds.

I have grown melons and water melons here. Can't be done without massive applications of chemicals. So I don't eat them any more.

That's a pity, as there have been reports that consuming a lot of watermelon can help those with a certain drooping problem. :) I am, in fact, testing this theory right now. Next post will be from soi 6.

I have grown melons and water melons here. Can't be done without massive applications of chemicals. So I don't eat them any more.

Cooked I know you're a farmer so would you mind giving us some more details about fruit/veg chemicals. We're pretty ignorant about that sort of thing.

Cooked I know you're a farmer so would you mind giving us some more details about fruit/veg chemicals. We're pretty ignorant about that sort of thing.

Well this topic should be on the farmers' forum really. What I have

learned has been from googling the English name to be found on every container of spray product and personal experience. Just because you don't see people in the fields with protective clothing doesn't mean they aren't using highly toxic products. Some nasty stuff happens during storage and transport also. Never mind, sometimes it's better not to know .

sent from phone using bih thumbs

I think that's the problem with just about anything grown in this fair land, it's all had crap plastered over/in it. I love my fruit and veg but have seriously cut back.

That's a pity, as there have been reports that consuming a lot of watermelon can help those with a certain drooping problem. smile.png I am, in fact, testing this theory right now. Next post will be from soi 6.

I ate a few of those chemically tampered melons. They helped me two fold, it cured my drooping problem and now my penis glows in the dark. Saved a fortune in torch batteries over the years.

That may explain your green skin!

That may explain your green skin!

I've been having psychosomatic stomach cramps ever since I started following this thread, even though it's been a month since I've eaten any watermelon. smile.png

Edited by Gecko123

• 1 year later...

i grow all my own fruit and fish, with little restriction and knowledge of where stuff comes from + the large chemical companies really pushing agro chemicals I avoid other fruit n veg.

have you ever grown watermelons ?

if so, are they ALWAYS without white streaks and white seeds ?

I know that white seeds are a sign of immature seeds (due to growth accelerators).

but white streaks, I tthought can happen in ANY watermelon, regardless of accelerators.

so if anyone here has grown their own watermelons (more than a few times), then please let us know if these white streaks are ever present or not.

thanks