AirAsia flight QZ8501 from Indonesia to Singapore missing

Lite Beer

A conspiracy nonsense post has been removed as well a reply.

Yeah, this usually brings out the 'tin-foil hat' crowd. But the fact is, although air transportation is probably safer than any other mode of travel, mechanical malfunctions do happen. Prays to those on-board.

AirAsia plane with 161 aboard missing in Indonesia

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — An AirAsia plane with 161 people aboard lost contact with ground control on Sunday after takeoff from Indonesia on the way to Singapore, and search and rescue operations were underway.

The plane lost communication with Jakarta's air traffic control at 7:24 a.m., about an hour before it was scheduled to land in Singapore, the Singapore Civil Aviation Authority said in a statement. The contact was lost about 42 minutes after takeoff from Indonesia's Surabaya airport, Hadi Mustofa, an official of the transportation ministry told Indonesia's MetroTV.

AirAsia said in a statement that the plane was an Airbus A320-200 and that search and rescue operations were in progress.

The plane had six crew and 155 passengers, including 16 children and one infant, the general manager of Surabaya's Juanda airport, Trikora Raharjo, told The Associated Press.

There were six foreigners — three South Koreans including an infant and one each from Singapore, British and Malaysia, said Raharjo. The rest were Indonesians, he said.

The plane lost contact when it was believed to be over the Java Sea between Kalimantan and Java islands, Mustofa said.

He said the weather in the area was cloudy.

The Singapore aviation authority said it was informed about the missing plane by Jakarta ground control about half an hour after the contact was lost.

"Search and rescue operations have been activated by the Indonesian authorities," it said, adding that the Singapore air force and the navy also were activated with two C-130 planes.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2014-12-28

Sad, sad news.

I pray that the plane and it's occupants are found, but it does t look good at all. Failing that, I hope the family and lived ones of this flight arnt out through the same anguish of the MH370 relatives.

RIP.

sad.png

at least they got the airline name right now.. early news reports eg NHK were quoting a "Malaysian Airlines" flight from Singapore....

Why does every article say the aircraft lost communication with air traffic control? It's the other way around! We're not on the aircraft so we have no idea now if they had comms problems but we do know that ATC lost radio, data and radar with the aircraft.

Why does every article say the aircraft lost communication with air traffic control? It's the other way around! We're not on the aircraft so we have no idea now if they had comms problems but we do know that ATC lost radio, data and radar with the aircraft.

Is it safe to assume that AirAsia has not spent the extra money on installing the tracking equipment that we heard so much about in the MH370 story?

A conspiracy nonsense post has been removed as well a reply.

Yeah, this usually brings out the 'tin-foil hat' crowd. But the fact is, although air transportation is probably safer than any other mode of travel, mechanical malfunctions do happen. Prays to those on-board.

Well air travel is meant to be one of the safest modes of transportation. Beyond that they have black boxes that are nearly indestructible which should be able to tell us what happened and where the plane is located. You dont have to have a tin foil hat to know this.

I imagine you will be happy with whatever the news tells you happened.

• Like 1

RT @W7VOA: #Indonesia Transport Ministry spokesman: Last contact from #QZ8501 was pilot request for permission to change altitude due to bad weather.

If the plane was flying at, say, flight level 32 (32,000 feet) and center was reporting rough air at that altitude but smoother air at flight level 25, the pilot would request permission to descend to 25. Center would find a spot for him and give permission including perhaps a slight change in direction to avoid traffic.

• Like 1

Severe weather and a request for a different routing. Looks like weather trouble to me. There are still weather events that planes like to avoid. From the looks of the location and the altitude there is still a chance that the craft got down somewhere remote. I hope.

Yep, just read: ISOL CB FL450-XXX

Edited by BernieOnTour

flightradar24

#QZ8501 may have flown out of Flightradar24 coverage at 23:12 UTC as we are missing coverage on lower altitudes in this area.

28/12/14 11:40

Presumably because of weather clutter from that monster thunderstorm. I heard somewhere that the SAR effort was slightly delayed for the same reason, but hopefully they'll get going soon and something will turn up.

Severe weather and a request for a different routing. Looks like weather trouble to me. There are still weather events that planes like to avoid. From the looks of the location and the altitude there is still a chance that the craft got down somewhere remote. I hope.

Yep, just read: CB ISOL 450-xxx

??

Unconfirmed (Indonesian media) that the plane is in the sea off Belitung Island - pprune

----EDIT----

Just checked the map and this would look like the plane descended on a glide path from the last known point of contact and was trying to make land. This is personal conjecture though.

Edited by draftvader

Yep, just read: CB ISOL 450-xxx

??
... Isolated cumulonimbus from MSL up to 45.000 feet

Sorry for the typo, should have been ISOL CB FL450-XXX

Edited by BernieOnTour