Search resumes for missing AirAsia passenger jet

webfact

The only thing I can think about is incompetence; mechanical, structural or poor decisions. Perhaps it is time to begin making new routes for flights during stormy weather and to hell with numbers and profits. Picking a fight with a storm cell is about as idiotic as it comes, while taking years off the airplane's integrity. 15 extra minutes or an hour or so to go around and this type of thing can be a non-issue. I blame this on stupidity and greed.

My heartfelt sympathies to the families if the worst is true.

Given that no-one here was in the cockpit, and - AFAIK - not one of us has a commercial pilot's licence, perhaps it's a little early to be making those claims. The pilot reportedly had many thousands of hours flying time - doesnt mean he's infallible, but laying the blame at his feet when we still dont know exactly what happened seems premature for mine.

A commercial pilot's license isn't a big deal. It allows a pilot to fly things like charters etc. He will still most likely have a multi-engine rating and be for sure IFR rated.

An ATP (Airline Transport Pilot) is a step up but he must still have training and be certified in "type" meaning the type of aircraft he can fly.

I have a commercial, multi-engine license with certifications in Lear Jets, Citations and Conquests. I'm not current so I'd have to jump through some hoops now to be PIC but I have the license and the log book.

We have one member who for about 12 years was an aircraft controller for the military and then for civilian and he worked Center for a few years.

I think there's a lot more collective knowledge here than might meet the eye.

At least two people here have achieved ATP and at least two have achieved commercial including me.

I concur with your post whole heartily. I am also a pilot albeit single engine fixed wing.The PIC of the doomed Aircraft had 20,000 hours and 6 years in TYPE I believe. The news seems to be suggesting parallels to the Air France crash in the Atlantic IE: Pilot fighting the auto pilot that was receiving what was believed faulty attitude and altitude information due to iced up exterior sensors and of course we know that resulted in a stall that pancaked them at high speed drop rate into the ocean like cement.

• Like 1

Probably the most sane report and least cluttered with speculation -- also updated fairly often

http://avherald.com/h?article=47f6abc7&opt=0

Interesting comment from the link.

I am a trained oil spill aerial remote sensing observer. This picture is indeed consistent with a subsurface light fuel leak reaching the sea surface. This rainbow colour slick (5-15 mycrons thick) would evaporate within an hour unless there is a continuous leak source below, a ship wreck or a suberged aircraft. Intreresting observation indeed. ( The MH370 observation did not look like an oil spill at all, probably algae )

I wonder if Thailand has offered its highly prized dirigible for the search.It does not appear to have done much since its expensive purchase.

Is it equipped as an SAR vehicle? Is it safe to take it into an area of heavy storms and weather? Are the crews trained in SAR?

Do you have any idea what you are talking about or are you just going completely off topic and trying to make a very cheap political point?

Unbelievable in this Day and Age , They cannot find a Jetliner of this size, it Boggles The Mind...

It's just a small dot when compared to the size of the sea.

Wish everyone could turn on cell phones and such...as many have better GPS than the airlines do. Then if a plane goes down, they could find it, by the frantic calls going out.

To make cellphones work properly you need a base station on the ground and there are not many base stations in the ocean.

• Like 1

Indonesia is definitely either hiding something like incompetence or loath to release details as yet for some internal reason. This plane should be fairly easy to locate its a busy area shipping wise well covered by radar on a well known route with all mod cons. Not in the least why no mayday was radioed even in a stall there should be some time to call in or beacons activate on impact...

Anyone remember Indonesia refusing access to its air space or sea for search teams when MH370 went missing ?. Unsurprisingly when asked to assist the US is currently considering the request !!! why wouldnt you help if asked ? tit for tat after hampering MH370 search or something else politically ?

All very strange so far, I fully expected some major progress by today.

What a load of rubbish you have just written.

Perhaps in your mind and in your opinion you are correct but in my opinion it is just another conspiracy theory with nothing to back it up.

• Like 1

Indonesia is definitely either hiding something like incompetence or loath to release details as yet for some internal reason. This plane should be fairly easy to locate its a busy area shipping wise well covered by radar on a well known route with all mod cons. Not in the least why no mayday was radioed even in a stall there should be some time to call in or beacons activate on impact...

Anyone remember Indonesia refusing access to its air space or sea for search teams when MH370 went missing ?. Unsurprisingly when asked to assist the US is currently considering the request !!! why wouldnt you help if asked ? tit for tat after hampering MH370 search or something else politically ?

Indonesia refused access to its airspace because a bribe was not agreed on.

This current 'search' by the Indo navy must have cost Tony Fernandez an arm and a leg.

They will take their time of course...

No need to hurry..

And of course you "know" this to be true as you obviously have sources that nobody else including governments know about.

• Like 2

Indonesia refused access to its airspace because a bribe was not agreed on.

This current 'search' by the Indo navy must have cost Tony Fernandez an arm and a leg.

They will take their time of course...

No need to hurry..

And of course you "know" this to be true as you obviously have sources that nobody else including governments know about.

This general has an opinion. Front page Bangkok Post RTAF chief doubts AA in the sea.

Debris and bodies found only 6 miles from where ATC last made contact. Would have thought the search would have concentrated in this area from day 1, no chance of any survivors now.

Would like to hope it won't be long before the black boxes are recovered as area reportedly shallow enough for divers.

Debris is from missing AirAsia flight QZ8501, Indonesia confirms

Three bodies had already been evacuated from the aircraft, the Indonesian National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas) said, shortly after the plane's wreckage was found.

The operation will now concentrate on recovering the passengers, locating the black box and lifting the plane from the sea floor, after which the National Transportation Safety Committee would commence its investigation of the cause of the crash.

The head of search and rescue, Sulistiyo, grimly announced at about 2.45pm local time (6.45pm AEDT) that evidence had been mounting for almost four hours of the location of the downed jet.

SMH

And soon, unfortuntely, and even before the wreckage is found, it will be "discovered" that there was not enough fuel on board to allow for a very seriously needed, "longer than expected by the rules" diversion...

Get a grip - aircraft are diverted all over the world and often forced to circle an airport for 20-30 minutes while the ATC sort out a traffic jam. If it's never happened to you en route to BKK, you've led a charmed life.

Do you remember the Ryanair's low-fuel emergency landings in Valencia?

After investigation, the Civil Aviation Accident and Incident Investigation Commission (CIAIAC) confirmed that indeed Ryanair had not breached air safety regulations, but it was noted that the airline operated flights with minimal fuel to save money, this policy leaving none for contingencies...