The Wharf Samui – a new shopping experience in Koh Samui

webfact

The Wharf Samui – a new shopping experience in Koh Samui

w.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- Bophut has seen much progression over the last 15 years since it was a sleepy fishermen’s village with only two bars and a handful of small shops along its Chinese frontage. The biggest change has come very recently and that is the addition of the Wharf Shopping Centre.

The Wharf is owned by The Platinum Group Co.,Ltd. The project covers some 24,000sqm with a construction area of approximately 20,000sqm a plaza area of approximately 5,000 sqm with 120 units. There is parking for around 400 cars and the Wharf, even though not complete opened its doors on the 10th of December 2014.

With its retro architecture combining a mixture of eastern and western styles, the Wharf provides a unique shopping area with specialty shops offering a range of local and imported goods, cafes and restaurants, coffee shops and bakeries, massage and spa, a tattoo shop, tourism service, manicure and pedicure outlets and a food court offering Russian cuisine, rice and curry dishes, Thai boat noodles and other Thai delights. There is also a bank and currency exchange.

To find out more about The Wharf click here to visit their website

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-12-29

More development on an island that seems to have an insatiable appetite for development. Does anyone remember what this island looked like ten or twenty years ago? I give it another five to ten years, and my guess is that Samui will resemble SW Bali, in terms of development, and the ensuing congestion. My first visit to Samui was in 1986. And from my point of view, the island is not moving in a healthy or positive direction, nor is the aesthetic of the place improving. More building all the time. Unregulated, in any meaningful manner. Minimal work being done on infrastructure, and no work being done with regard to public transportation, environmentally sensitive projects, or figuring out creative ways of easing the massive traffic burden. A lot of money seems to be earned here. How much of that money is going back into really improving the island? And I am not referring to more buildings.

I was living in Bophut 30 years ago. It was a great place, a real fishermen's village and we could see the sea. Now it's an awful place with many foreigners. it's not Thailand anymore

Its certainly a lot different to even five years ago.

The pace of change in the village is astonishing.

• Like 1

I was living in Bophut 30 years ago. It was a great place, a real fishermen's village and we could see the sea. Now it's an awful place with many foreigners. it's not Thailand anymore

I think that 'awful place' might be a bit harsh, but it is definitely not the sleepy little village with teak shop houses that it used to be.

The whole of Samui 'is not Thailand'. I tell guests that it is more like Disneyland in the tropics and on an island. (With all of its infrastructure problems etc.)

• Like 2