Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai

Tywais

Going from the 1-year temporary to one's first 5-year license (which I did a couple of weeks ago), one needs a medical certificate in addition to the items Tywais pointed out. I only received one cue number (I got #76 and they were currently on #46) and, after about 45 minutes, my number was up and I went to the window, the guy checked my paperwork

Thanks for that as I was hopping some one would come along with experience of the 1 to 5 year conversion. Also hope to get someone with recent experience in obtaining their 1st 1-year temporary license.

Also, if you note the next to bottom photo showing procedures it matches up exactly with your experience for 1 to 5 year. No physical nor training video.

Is there a checklist anywhere for what to take to immigration over at Promenada to get the certificate of residency which is one of the key documents needed to apply for a license I believe ? This a key pre-requisite document I believe...

As far as i know it might be...

3 months rent receipts

rental contract overlapping application date into near future (1 year ?)

2 or 4 photos ?

Passport with latest consulate issued visa ...(i.e. not visa-except status)

Tywais,

I take it your old licence had expired by 1 day since you went one day after your birthday.

As it happens my wife's birthday is 34 days before mine and we would like to do the renewal together - if she goes in 35 days late (and I am 1 day late) can we do that? Or has her licence expired too long ago?

Suppose my basic question is how late can you still renew a 5 year licences, 1 month, 1 year or what?

Edited by briley
  • Like 1

Suppose my basic question is how late can you still renew a 5 year licences, 1 month, 1 year or what?

I don't have a definitive answer but I believe up to 1 year after expiration. Will see if someone has specific experience on this. The sign indicates for 1 year to 5 year you have 3 years after expiration before you have to start the new temporary one all over again. I would say it is very likely 35 days is no problem for 5 to 5.

It's best to go at 13:00, then they are not busy.

Actually be there 10-15 minutes before, so you finish the video before the Thai's.

Good to know thanks. Hope someone can chime in about the residency letter requirements as it will be a pain to go all the way out to Promenada and be missing one key officer's/stickler's requirement...

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 1

It's best to go at 13:00, then they are not busy.

Actually be there 10-15 minutes before, so you finish the video before the Thai's.

Good to know thanks. Hope someone can chime in about the residency letter requirements as it will be a pain to go all the way out to Promenada and be missing one key officer's/stickler's requirement...

You need that and I had a post about it: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/752801-residence-certificate-in-chiang-mai/

I don't have a definitive answer but I believe up to 1 year after expiration. Will see if someone has specific experience on this. The sign indicates for 1 year to 5 year you have 3 years after expiration before you have to start the new temporary one all over again. I would say it is very likely 35 days is no problem for 5 to 5.

"The topic of DL comes up often enough to warrant a pinned topic on it. I went in to renew my 5 year license today, 1 day after my birthday in order to get 5 years + 364 days. The timing of my experience today will probably not be the norm as it was two days before a 5 day holiday and the place was packed."

I was there today - a few days after my birthday/expiration date. It was packed with people. But I didn't get the extra year. I got 17 days short of 5 years. No big deal.....

I was there today - a few days after my birthday/expiration date. It was packed with people. But I didn't get the extra year. I got 17 days short of 5 years. No big deal.....

That's odd as there have been quite a few current reports, not just in the CM forum, of others going shortly after and getting nearly 6 years. This was the 3rd 5 year renewal that I got 6 years - 1 or 2 days. They go by the number of birthdays and not the actual number of days. Sounds like a mix up there either inputting the wrong birth date or something else. Did you double check the dates on your new license to verify birthday and expiration date and time in between? Or, they now consider it a loophole that they closed starting the new year.

That's odd as there have been quite a few current reports, not just in the CM forum, of others going shortly after and getting nearly 6 years. This was the 3rd 5 year renewal that I got 6 years - 1 or 2 days. They go by the number of birthdays and not the actual number of days. Sounds like a mix up there either inputting the wrong birth date or something else. Did you double check the dates on your new license to verify birthday and expiration date and time in between? Or, they now consider it a loophole that they closed starting the new year.

Oops... I'm so bad. I was calculating 2015 to when it expires in 2020/2563, not taking into account that it is really from [2014] as my birthday was in December 2014. So, yes you are totally correct Tywais. My apologies.wai.gif

• Like 1

I don't think they use birthdates when you get your first 1-year "temporary" license (mine was issued on December 3, 2013, and expired on December 3, 2014....and my birthday is in October).

And, yes, if you do go for your first 5-year after the one-year license expires, you will get 5 years from your next birthday (e.g., my first 5-year license was issued in mid-December, 2014, and expires on my birthday in October, 2020).

• Like 1

Nice write up...

Here is a link to similar information, but includes some additional details, such as links to download all required forms and samples of the exam questions and answers...

http://donslifeinthailand.com/Thai-Drivers-License-2.html

BTW, I had to renew this week myself in CM... Went at around 1:30pm and was in / out in 30 minutes... Wasn't required to watch any videos...

Edited by Loptr

why bother getting one at all? getting into National Parks cheaper seems the only advantage !

Technically, if you are in-country for more than 60 days, you cannot use your home country DL or an International DL... Easier than carrying around a copy of you passport too... Also gives the BiB the message that you are not a tourist if stopped for any reason and asked for ID...

I was one that got the 6 years.My licence date has always been tied to my birthday for some unknown reason and I was a few days overdue.Was told my the girl on the front desk it was ok to be up to 6 months overdue.This was my second 5 yr licence renewal.As we all know there is no logic to letting people be unlicenced up to 6 months and the ground rules can change in an instant but when some one gives you 6 years instead of 5 why argue with them ?

why bother getting one at all? getting into National Parks cheaper seems the only advantage !

you won't get any insurance coverage without one.

I think that depends on whether you mean insurance for a car you own and drive yourself, or insurance for a car you're renting from a car rental agency.

I don't own my own car. But I've rented from most of the major Thai car rental agencies in recent years. And my rentals have always included their add-on liability and CDW insurance packages, and all were done using my U.S. driver's license, which they accepted without question.

Will I need either a car or motorbike for a road test, as a first time applicant?

Do you have a driving licence from your home country or international driving licence or are you a learner driver taking your first test?

I have a valid auto driver's license in Virginia, USA.