Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai

Tywais

That's my understanding. Am renewing first time to 5 yr license this Wednesday; got the medical at Bangkok Hospital -- very efficient service, good parking, 200 baht. Certificate of Residency from US Consulate -- 50 bucks but same day service. Plan to go at 12:30 -- anybody see any problem with that, or maybe a better time.....

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

That's my understanding. Am renewing first time to 5 yr license this Wednesday; got the medical at Bangkok Hospital -- very efficient service, good parking, 200 baht. Certificate of Residency from US Consulate -- 50 bucks but same day service. Plan to go at 12:30 -- anybody see any problem with that, or maybe a better time.....

I've always preferred to get in there at 9am to ensure I don't hit an unusually busy day and end up either not making it through or spending the whole day there. You'll probably still get on even if you go at that time, but you'll also hit the period over lunch where the close counters for staff meal breaks and things trickle through at a snail's pace. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:34 PM, XGM said:

What happens if you go to renew it say a couple of weeks after it expires? Processed as a new one or can still be renewed with some kind of fine?

Mine is due to renewal at the end of next week and I see last reports mentioned there is no next day service in immigration for the Residency Certificate anymore.

renewed with the extra days over the five years, I renewed mine 2 days after expiry and received 5 years 363 days on the new license.

Edited by fcgprg
space words

Need Medical paper for 4th 5 year renewal also?

My Thai wife did not need it and it was handed back to her. The sign at the top of the stairs still had it listed as a requirement for a five year to five year renewal. This was a couple of months ago.

2 hours ago, GregTN said:

My Thai wife did not need it and it was handed back to her. The sign at the top of the stairs still had it listed as a requirement for a five year to five year renewal. This was a couple of months ago.

I also did not need a medical certificate for 5 year renewal 2 months ago

• 1 month later...

Has anyone recently applied for an initial 2 year Thai licence for a car ?

If you already have a full UK licence is it correct that will only be required to do a colour eyesight and a reaction test or is a written test and video viewing required ?    I have seen different threads on this subject !!

21 hours ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Has anyone recently applied for an initial 2 year Thai licence for a car ?

If you already have a full UK licence is it correct that will only be required to do a colour eyesight and a reaction test or is a written test and video viewing required ?    I have seen different threads on this subject !!

Update, went this morning , only eye colour test and watch video, out in 1 1/2 hours with licence, which included 1 hour video !!

last friday went to extend my 2 year thai driverlicense.  Need only :
1. Copy passport
2. Copy Visa and extension
3. Health Certificate (any clinic, 100 thb)
4. Proof of residence certificate (from Immi)
5. Original 2 year Thai Driverlicense
Went to the desk on 2nd floor, got some papers to fill in, after they checked and got a number (176). Went to a desk to get the color test , they made some notes on the papers and had to wait for about 90 minutes before this number came up for another counter. Payed 555 thb (5 years DL) and sat down again to wait for another 30 minutes before my picture was taken and the new license was made. 
Easy as hell, only waiting took long time 

Edited by tonboy

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried to get a new license with a Residence Certificate from outside of Chiang Mai.  I live in Hua Hin and will be visiting Chiang Mai for the month of November.   While there I hope to take the Honda Safety training course and then apply for a new motorbike license (never ridden a motorcycle before).  I believe with the certificate from Honda I would not need to do the practical test.  I don't know if the LTO office I would need to go to close to Hua Hin would honor that training certificate.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update for those who apply for a DL.  5 years ago I used my work permit to apply without an issue however this time I am told they are insisting on a proof of residence certificate from immigration. I attended CM Imm' today - For proof of residence you need (2x copies) Passport picture page, Passport visa page, Passport TM6, Passport TM30 - all countersigned. You also need a copy of your condo contract or yellow book etc countersigned. You need two photographs (they dont take them there (1"). You go direct to the second floor and you will see an intern sat outside at a large table. Tell her what you want and she will check the paperwork and issue you a chit. It takes 20 working days to get, so apply early! The chit tells you the date to return to collect it (4pm at counter 4). Took me about 5 minutes and no fee was applied at all. The downside is the ridiculously long waiting period for collection.

34 minutes ago, ScouseTommy said:

Just an update for those who apply for a DL.  5 years ago I used my work permit to apply without an issue however this time I am told they are insisting on a proof of residence certificate from immigration. I attended CM Imm' today - For proof of residence you need (2x copies) Passport picture page, Passport visa page, Passport TM6, Passport TM30 - all countersigned. You also need a copy of your condo contract or yellow book etc countersigned. You need two photographs (they dont take them there (1"). You go direct to the second floor and you will see an intern sat outside at a large table. Tell her what you want and she will check the paperwork and issue you a chit. It takes 20 working days to get, so apply early! The chit tells you the date to return to collect it (4pm at counter 4). Took me about 5 minutes and no fee was applied at all. The downside is the ridiculously long waiting period for collection.

That's annoying. Do you have the new digital work permit that doesn't have your address on it?

Edited by ricklev

22 hours ago, ScouseTommy said:

If you have a yellow book you do not need a residence certificate.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Little bit more on this topic- my previous post was not for renewal it was for getting a new licence. If you are renewing you do not need the resident cert' For a new licence you do, unless you have the Yellow book. Work permits are no longer accepted. Also I got a quick and cheap medical from a (licensed) clinic, it is not accepted! The DLT want a medical from a hospital and you need to make sure it is on the correct form. I already have my car licence and have had it for a long time, this was all for my bike licence!

Those considering doing the Bike licence - if you have the time I highly recommend using Honda Safety riding school they just take the hassle out of it (cost is 1000thb).

*Proof of residence cert' is free (2nd floor of immigration) however you have to wait 20 working days to collect it. If you use the agency opposite it costs 1000thb and you get it the next day guaranteed!!

Edited by ScouseTommy
additional info

Went to Hang Dong yesterday with all my paperwork, was told that because I once had a license, which lapsed in 2016 while I was back living overseas, I would have to use the appointment system, with the next appointment available Dec 4. I explained that I wouldn't be in country that day and only back later in December. The reply was come back in January and we'll get you an appointment in February, or go to a driving school. By that time, of course, my immigration letter and medical certificate would have long expired. Truck that, I thought (being at the DLT). Went home to Mae Rim, called the DLT in Mae Taeng, confirmed that if I can follow the process in Thai, could go there. Showed up at 8 this morning, out with a new license at 10.30. Moral of the story is that whatever the thoughtless bureaucracy throws at you, there's always another way.

37 minutes ago, Puwa said:

Went to Hang Dong yesterday with all my paperwork, was told that because I once had a license, which lapsed in 2016 while I was back living overseas, I would have to use the appointment system, with the next appointment available Dec 4. I explained that I wouldn't be in country that day and only back later in December. The reply was come back in January and we'll get you an appointment in February, or go to a driving school. By that time, of course, my immigration letter and medical certificate would have long expired. Truck that, I thought (being at the DLT). Went home to Mae Rim, called the DLT in Mae Taeng, confirmed that if I can follow the process in Thai, could go there. Showed up at 8 this morning, out with a new license at 10.30. Moral of the story is that whatever the thoughtless bureaucracy throws at you, there's always another way.

You were very lucky.  Three in my family have tried Mae Taeng over several years and found it to be overcrowded.  I have heard that the Lampun office is rarely busy.

Excellent Moral though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dante99 said:

You were very lucky.  Three in my family have tried Mae Taeng over several years and found it to be overcrowded.  I have heard that the Lampun office is rarely busy.

Excellent Moral though.

It seemed that they were giving out about 40 queue cards in the morning for licenses, limited, I think, by the number of seats in the training rooms. I think there are also afternoon spots. 

• 1 month later...

Will I be rejected a health certificate if I have high blood pressure? I don't want to take pills, I want to live on the edge. 

Some of you are saying they won't accept a Certificate from a clinic? So go to an actual hospital and pay ~200 THB? What's the test consist of at the hospitals? Will they cup you between the legs and have you cough? 

3 hours ago, ThaiBrian said:

Will I be rejected a health certificate if I have high blood pressure? I don't want to take pills, I want to live on the edge. 

Some of you are saying they won't accept a Certificate from a clinic? So go to an actual hospital and pay ~200 THB? What's the test consist of at the hospitals? Will they cup you between the legs and have you cough? 

I got my license despite my blood pressure readings being high. Didn't seem to cause any issues, though that was early last year.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 7:19 AM, fcgprg said:

If you have a yellow book you do not need a residence certificate.

May i ask the forum for a update and confirmation on the above.

As my car licience 5yrs has to be renewed next month

Btw 

Iam going to Mae Tang  office.

Many thks in advance

Edited by deej