Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai

Tywais

why bother getting one at all? getting into National Parks cheaper seems the only advantage !

you won't get any insurance coverage without one.

I think that depends on whether you mean insurance for a car you own and drive yourself, or insurance for a car you're renting from a car rental agency.

I don't own my own car. But I've rented from most of the major Thai car rental agencies in recent years. And my rentals have always included their add-on liability and CDW insurance packages, and all were done using my U.S. driver's license, which they accepted without question.

In a Thai court of law without a Thai licence or International drivers permit you would be up poo creek I'm afraid. They will let you drive for sure, but get in a pickle and then you are toast.

• Like 1

Do you have a driving licence from your home country or international driving licence or are you a learner driver taking your first test?

I have a valid auto driver's license in Virginia, USA.

In that case you might not need to take the car practical test, but if you have no motorcycle endorsement on your US licence then you will for sure need to take the m/bike practical test.

I just came back from the office. My automobile license is expired, more than 1 year and less than 3 years. You have to start again from the beginning. Medical certificate IS required. You have to do the 4 hour training session again. Go back before 9 AM, and plan to spend most of the day there. I just returned to Thailand on a 3 entry tourist visa, only a 1 year license is available.

I just came back from the office. My automobile license is expired, more than 1 year and less than 3 years. You have to start again from the beginning. Medical certificate IS required. You have to do the 4 hour training session again. Go back before 9 AM, and plan to spend most of the day there. I just returned to Thailand on a 3 entry tourist visa, only a 1 year license is available.

Too bad; but thank you for the warning. Good to know.

I went along a few weeks ago to renew my 5 year licence which was expired for 11 months. Arrived at 0900 hours.

The first guy I dealt with said my visa was not good enough (married, 3 month validity) and that I could only get a 1 year licence.

Unhappy at this, I went along the counter and spoke to a lady who said my visa was fine.

So, back to the first guy, who by now had changed his mind. I had to take a colour blindness test by looking at a traffic light he operated, followed by a 1 hour video I had to watch.

After a 20 minute wait I was called forward, relieved of the fee and then a photo and licence issued. No mention of a medical certificate.

All in all it took around 2 hours.

I was under the impression that one needed something other than a tourist visa in order to get a driver's license here in Thailand. Is that true or not?

The Thai Driving Test, or, What The Hell Was That All About?

Just back from completing the required procedure for a new license. As mentioned in my previous post, my license has expired more than 1 year.

Arrive before 9am with all the required documents. I arrived at 8:45. Go to counter 21 to have to have your documents checked, she will send you down to counter 28 for another check and to get your number. My group was called at about 9:30. Proceed to the physical test area for eye test and reaction time test. It takes about 15 min. for the entire group to finish. On to the classroom. I appear to be the only English speaking foreigner in a room of 50 or so young Thais and a few Burmese. About 1 hour is spent with the instructor covering various topics, of which I understood little. Another hour is spent watching a couple of videos. At no time was anything other than Thai spoken and there are no sub-titles in the videos. At 12pm there is a 1 hour break for lunch. Return at 1pm, pick up an instructional book from counter 21 and return to the classroom. The book is printed in several languages and covers common road signs and rules of the road. The instructor spends 2 hours going over the road signs and rules of the road, again in Thai only. You can take your time and study the book. At 3 pm it's on to the exam room. At this point I was called out of the group and taken back to counter 21. I was informed that I need not take the test and so paid the fee, 205B, had the photo taken and was on my way by 3:10. I asked the lady at 21 what the whole point was and she just replied it was the rules now as my license had expired more than 1 year. If you are a first time applicant you will have to take the test, the content of which I can't comment on. Expect to be done by about 4pm or so. Even if you comprehend Thai well, there is little to be learned as the instruction is very basic and the applicants are all young first time drivers. All that for the privilege of driving on some of the world's most dangerous roads. What a colossal waste of time.

Advice, lesson learned: Do not allow your license to expire for more than 1 year!

I was under the impression that one needed something other than a tourist visa in order to get a driver's license here in Thailand. Is that true or not?

No problem obtaining a Thai DL with a tourist visa, but only a one year license.

Oh, okay for the 1 year! Thanks.

Just want to confirm the information in this thread.

5-year license renew for another 5 today.

Went at 12:30. They were still processing the last few people who had watched the movie at 9:00, so those people had been there 3 ½ hours plus. There were 30 of us to watch the video at 1:00.

50 minute video, 30 second color recognition test, 40 minute wait to pay, 10 minute wait for photo to be taken and license created.

To reiterate…documents needed:

Photocopies of old license, Passport (Front page, visa page, entry card/entry stamp page)

Certificate of residency

Actual Passport and drivers license

Application form which I downloaded from here and was accepted.

http://donslifeinthailand.com/files/Application_For_Driving_License_Blank.pdf

Cost 655 baht.

I dropped off the residency certificate paperwork at the immigration office across from Promenada. They gave me a slip stating when to come back at what time (one week, 11:00 AM) Drop off and pick up took 5 minutes each.

Birthday was 2 days ago. New License expires 5 years and 363 days from today.

• Like 1

To add to the confusion: I just returned from DLT asking what I needed to renew my 5 year driving licenses for another 5 years.

This is what they gave me. This was given by the girl at the information desk on the 2d floor. She did say I could use a copy of the medical certificate for the 2d license.

I will go the day after my birthday and see how that works.

I understand different people get this done with different requirements.

post-402-0-60745900-1423119763_thumb.jpg

Edited by hml367

To add to the confusion: I just returned from DLT asking what I needed to renew my 5 year driving licenses for another 5 years.

This is what they gave me. This was given by the girl at the information desk on the 2d floor. She did say I could use a copy of the medical certificate for the 2d license.

Curious about the medical certificate requirement as the photo I posted in the OP shows no requirement to have it. I got one just in case but did not present it to her nor was it asked for. Only the 1st, 1 year license does it show as required. There was another poster who showed the same memo as yours but the medical requirement was hand crossed out.

Curious about the medical certificate requirement as the photo I posted in the OP shows no requirement to have it. I got one just in case but did not present it to her nor was it asked for. Only the 1st, 1 year license does it show as required. There was another poster who showed the same memo as yours but the medical requirement was hand crossed out.

The medical certificate requirement is always a mystery. Each 5 years I have no idea whether they will ask or not. I always obtain a certificate (it's only at most 100 baht) and advise my friends to have one hand when going to the DLT. Welcome to Thailand biggrin.png

Also look at number 4. I mentioned that I was going to wait until after my birthday so I would get an extra year (I know it is not exactly a year). The girl told my wife something and my wife said the girl said there is no extra year. A lot gets lost in translations.

Seems like the rules change from week to week and person to person. When I got my first 5-year licenses (going from the one-year licenses) about 7 weeks ago, they absolutely required me to have a medical certificate (I had to go get one and come back the next day). But the only "test" I had to take was to tell the man the colors of the baby stoplight (I have no clue what the "brake pedal test" (which others have told me they were required to do) is and I didn't have to do that last year either to get my one-year licenses). No depth perception tests either (although that was done this time when I got my medical certificate).

In 5 years and about 10 months, when I have to renew again, it'd be nice to know the rules before I go there.....but I'll worry about that then.

Seems like the rules change from week to week and person to person. When I got my first 5-year licenses (going from the one-year licenses) about 7 weeks ago, they absolutely required me to have a medical certificate (I had to go get one and come back the next day). But the only "test" I had to take was to tell the man the colors of the baby stoplight (I have no clue what the "brake pedal test" (which others have told me they were required to do) is and I didn't have to do that last year either to get my one-year licenses). No depth perception tests either (although that was done this time when I got my medical certificate).

In 5 years and about 10 months, when I have to renew again, it'd be nice to know the rules before I go there.....but I'll worry about that then.

the first sentence of your post is exactly the reason I went to check what the requirements might be. And they could be different when I go to renew. I live pretty close to DLT, so going there was not a problem. I can understand for many people it would be difficult to check with DLT in person.

Went today for 5 year to 5 year.

1. Arrived 1245 filled out form at info desk with paperwork signed, no medical cert needed.
  2. COR original, copies passport front page, latest renewal, arrival card and entry stamp.
  3. Take all paperwork to desk 28 and get number
  4. 1300 lined up for colour chart test, no reaction test, must be out of order
  5. Into video room for 10 minute lecture by man in white shirt.
  6. Man in white shirt leaves room with video showing, out come phones or take a nap time.
  7. 1400 woman with pink top brings in papers, collect your typed paper and licence attached
  8. 1425 number called, show passport pay 605 baht
  9. Go inside take a number for photograph.
  10. 1435 licence completed, expires December 2020

Reckon on one and half - two hours for everything......all quite painless.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

I went to DLT today to renew my 5 year driving licenses for 5 more years. My experience mirrored Uptheos' post, except for my expiration date (my 2015 birthday has passed)

Got there about 12:45 and turned in exactly what was noted on the attachment I posted. They gave me a number (232) and told me to wait until 1:00. About 12:50 or a few minutes more everyone went into a room to tell what colors were being pointed to. Each person, after 4 colors are pointed out, was put in lines. After everyone was done with the color, we went into the "cinema". There was a man speaking Thai for about 10 minutes then the movie started. The movie is Thai language and animated.

We were ushered out about 2:08 and then waited for our numbers to be called to go and pay and have the information verified from the computer generated forms. From there get a number for photos. Photos taken, license (s) issued. That is the end. I was out a little after 2:30 I believe - I wasn't timing anything, I just happened to look at the time once in a while.

My guess is it was not overly crowded today, at least not in the afternoon.

My licenses are good until my birthday in 2021.

My previous licenses were for about the same term (5 birthdays).

Edited by hml367

Good post:

Can anyone confirm to me if a "non immigrant" visa is required for renewal of a 5 year licence?

I am coming to the expiry date on mine and I am not able to get a "non immigrant" visa anymore. I saw someone comment that it cannot be done on a "visa exempt" stamp (30 day stamp) but can it be done on a tourist visa?

Good post:

Can anyone confirm to me if a "non immigrant" visa is required for renewal of a 5 year licence?

I am coming to the expiry date on mine and I am not able to get a "non immigrant" visa anymore. I saw someone comment that it cannot be done on a "visa exempt" stamp (30 day stamp) but can it be done on a tourist visa?

My post #41 has a picture of what the information desk gave me for a 5 year to 5 year. That paper says "non-immagrant" visa. According to some other people posting, what is on these kinds of papers is not always what may or may not be accepted.

If you are in Chiang Mai city area, I would suggest going to DLT and asking them, keeping in mind things can be lost in translation or just wrong information given.

Good luck!

Edited by hml367

• 2 weeks later...

Suppose my basic question is how late can you still renew a 5 year licences, 1 month, 1 year or what?

I don't have a definitive answer but I believe up to 1 year after expiration. Will see if someone has specific experience on this. The sign indicates for 1 year to 5 year you have 3 years after expiration before you have to start the new temporary one all over again. I would say it is very likely 35 days is no problem for 5 to 5.

"The topic of DL comes up often enough to warrant a pinned topic on it. I went in to renew my 5 year license today, 1 day after my birthday in order to get 5 years + 364 days. The timing of my experience today will probably not be the norm as it was two days before a 5 day holiday and the place was packed."

I was there today - a few days after my birthday/expiration date. It was packed with people. But I didn't get the extra year. I got 17 days short of 5 years. No big deal.....

Last year when I renewed my DL. I went there 3 weeks bf expiry. Got new DL starting from current expiry date. So needed two use old till expiry. No zic zac with dates.

Does this have to be obtained from a hospital, the same as when originally applying for the one year licence?If so, which is the easiest?

No need to be from same hospital. If you want play safe, use hospital they recommend.

A medical certificate is stated as a requirement when replacing a one year licence with a five year. Does this have to be obtained from a hospital, the same as when originally applying for the one year licence? If so, which is the easiest?

I've had to do that twice - once for the 1-year licenses and then a year later for the 5-year licenses. The first was from a small doctor's clinic on Huay Gaew and the second was from RAM. So, no, you can get one from any hospital or clinic and you definitely don't have to use the same source. Easiest? I suppose that depends on how long you have to wait at a given place (it took about 15 minutes at the clinic as the doctor wasn't busy and I think the total time at RAM was about 40 minutes). I don't remember what I was charged....maybe something like 200 baht for the clinic about 300 baht from RAM?

Can someone here provide some answers:

I have a temporary 1 yr car license and a 1 yr motorcycle license that I need to renew by next month to obtian the 5 year ones for both.

Can I renew one week in advance to expiration date as they will be most likely closed the week of Songkran?

Will my work permit be accepted in lieu of certificate of residence?

Do I need to provide -2- medical certificates for the 2 renewals?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Can someone here provide some answers:

I have a temporary 1 yr car license and a 1 yr motorcycle license that I need to renew by next month to obtian the 5 year ones for both.

Can I renew one week in advance to expiration date as they will be most likely closed the week of Songkran?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

1. YES

2. YES

3. No personal experience.

1. You are required to wait until the provisionary license expires before converting to a 5 year license. There are some reports that were successful before that and perhaps with a long holiday you might get away with it.

2. WP is accepted

3. 2 are needed but I understand that a photocopy for the 2nd one is fine.

1. You are required to wait until the provisionary license expires before converting to a 5 year license. There are some reports that were successful before that and perhaps with a long holiday you might get away with it.

I renewed my DL end of last year. Went there 3 weeks before expiry. I got new licence starting from expiry. They said I need to use actual license till its expiry and then new. So they dated new license in advance.