BANGKOK 22 February 2019 10:42
Tywais

Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai

6 minutes ago, johng said:

Brilliant emoji3.pngemoji106.png ...I wonder if it'll work in the UK too 

8 minutes ago, johng said:

Brilliant emoji3.pngemoji106.png ...I wonder if it'll work in the UK too ?

No

Thailand licence can not be exchanged for UK anymore, you could before but if you get a Thai international driving permit you can use in the UK until it runs out.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/law-on-driving-licence-exchange-tightened-to-improve-road-safety

When I ‘lost’ my UK bike licence I used my Thai one and insurer accepted fine a bit more expensive.

58 minutes ago, orientalist said:

Thanks. How recently were you there?

Sent from my cell phone using Thaivisa mobile app

About two weeks ago. Make sure you get there early, as they start handing out the queue tickets 8 AM.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

About two weeks ago. Make sure you get there early, as they start handing out the queue tickets 8 AM.

Is that necessary for a straight 5-year renewal, or just necessary to get done by lunchtime. I vaguely remember when I did this a year ago I went about 9.30 or 10, had lunch at Big C and finished things in the afternoon. I will have all day to spend in Chiang Mai.

The last time my (car) licence had expired 10 months previously so I had to watch a 1-hour video and do the theory test again. Is the video required for a normal renewal?

Edited by orientalist

19 hours ago, orientalist said:

Is that necessary for a straight 5-year renewal, or just necessary to get done by lunchtime. I vaguely remember when I did this a year ago I went about 9.30 or 10, had lunch at Big C and finished things in the afternoon. I will have all day to spend in Chiang Mai.

The last time my (car) licence had expired 10 months previously so I had to watch a 1-hour video and do the theory test again. Is the video required for a normal renewal?

Yes, you could go there 10 or something and get your number and return in the afternoon. Video is required.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2015 at 9:25 PM, onthedarkside said:

In that case you might not need to take the car practical test, but if you have no motorcycle endorsement on your US licence then you will for sure need to take the m/bike practical test.

I have a UK driving licence for car and motorbike. I.sm going to apply for my first Thai license.

Can I assume that the above status quo holds and I won't need to take the practical test, just watch the video and pass the colour blind, reflexes tests, etc?

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

just watch the video and pass the colour blind, reflexes tests, etc?

Thanks in advance 

Yes that should be all thats required.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1