BANGKOK
Tywais

Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai

Went to Hang Dong yesterday with all my paperwork, was told that because I once had a license, which lapsed in 2016 while I was back living overseas, I would have to use the appointment system, with the next appointment available Dec 4. I explained that I wouldn't be in country that day and only back later in December. The reply was come back in January and we'll get you an appointment in February, or go to a driving school. By that time, of course, my immigration letter and medical certificate would have long expired. Truck that, I thought (being at the DLT). Went home to Mae Rim, called the DLT in Mae Taeng, confirmed that if I can follow the process in Thai, could go there. Showed up at 8 this morning, out with a new license at 10.30. Moral of the story is that whatever the thoughtless bureaucracy throws at you, there's always another way.

37 minutes ago, Puwa said:

Went to Hang Dong yesterday with all my paperwork, was told that because I once had a license, which lapsed in 2016 while I was back living overseas, I would have to use the appointment system, with the next appointment available Dec 4. I explained that I wouldn't be in country that day and only back later in December. The reply was come back in January and we'll get you an appointment in February, or go to a driving school. By that time, of course, my immigration letter and medical certificate would have long expired. Truck that, I thought (being at the DLT). Went home to Mae Rim, called the DLT in Mae Taeng, confirmed that if I can follow the process in Thai, could go there. Showed up at 8 this morning, out with a new license at 10.30. Moral of the story is that whatever the thoughtless bureaucracy throws at you, there's always another way.

You were very lucky.  Three in my family have tried Mae Taeng over several years and found it to be overcrowded.  I have heard that the Lampun office is rarely busy.

Excellent Moral though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dante99 said:

You were very lucky.  Three in my family have tried Mae Taeng over several years and found it to be overcrowded.  I have heard that the Lampun office is rarely busy.

Excellent Moral though.

It seemed that they were giving out about 40 queue cards in the morning for licenses, limited, I think, by the number of seats in the training rooms. I think there are also afternoon spots. 

Will I be rejected a health certificate if I have high blood pressure? I don't want to take pills, I want to live on the edge. 

Some of you are saying they won't accept a Certificate from a clinic? So go to an actual hospital and pay ~200 THB? What's the test consist of at the hospitals? Will they cup you between the legs and have you cough? 

3 hours ago, ThaiBrian said:

Will I be rejected a health certificate if I have high blood pressure? I don't want to take pills, I want to live on the edge. 

Some of you are saying they won't accept a Certificate from a clinic? So go to an actual hospital and pay ~200 THB? What's the test consist of at the hospitals? Will they cup you between the legs and have you cough? 

I got my license despite my blood pressure readings being high. Didn't seem to cause any issues, though that was early last year.

3 hours ago, ThaiBrian said:

Will they cup you between the legs and have you cough? 

Certainly she will, what do you think you are paying for?

• Haha 1

On 10/4/2019 at 7:19 AM, fcgprg said:

If you have a yellow book you do not need a residence certificate.

May i ask the forum for a update and confirmation on the above.

As my car licience 5yrs has to be renewed next month

Btw 

Iam going to Mae Tang  office.

Many thks in advance

Edited by deej