Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai

Tywais

I noticed two people obtained their licences today, the color blindness test was completed with the chart and lights

Did you have a choice

No choice, but the again I didn't bother asking. I got the lights in Hang Dong office and was out the door in half an hour.

I will be applying for a Thai driver license soon. I just obtained my certificate of residency. However I also found a nice place to rent and will move next week. Will this create problem?

Unless you want to get a new cert of residence, just use the address listed on the original.

A friend sent me these directions to the testing facility. They worked, but some directions are easier to follow than others.

1. Left side of Hang Dong Road about 3 KM south of Airport Plaza.

2. Located just before Big C, which is at just before the intersection of the first ring-road.
3. Look for a long white fence with purple iron.
I've replaced #3 with:
3. Entrance is 30 meters before a pedestrian overpass.
YMMV

A friend sent me these directions to the testing facility. They worked, but some directions are easier to follow than others.

1. Left side of Hang Dong Road about 3 KM south of Airport Plaza.

2. Located just before Big C, which is at just before the intersection of the first ring-road.
3. Look for a long white fence with purple iron.
I've replaced #3 with:
3. Entrance is 30 meters before a pedestrian overpass.
YMMV

Or Google Street View. Looking at the entrance.

I went to Promenada today and submitted the necessary paperwork to obtain a Certificate of Residence. Everything was accepted and I was given a sticker with the current date and one month's from today date. She told me to come back and pick it up in March--one month from today. I was told there was no fee when I asked to pay. This is different from what I've read here. Something I don't know?

I went to Promenada today and submitted the necessary paperwork to obtain a Certificate of Residence. Everything was accepted and I was given a sticker with the current date and one month's from today date. She told me to come back and pick it up in March--one month from today. I was told there was no fee when I asked to pay. This is different from what I've read here. Something I don't know?

That's the way it works, unless you want to pay 500 baht in which case you can pick it up tomorrow. If you do want it sooner I suggest you go back and tell the lady you really can't wait until March, is there any way to get it sooner.

Edited by chiang mai

Went for drivers license renewal from 1 year to 5 year today. Brought copies of passport pages, yellow book (proof of residence), medical certificate.... did the color test (mini stop light), paid the fee and received my new 5 year license all in about an hour. No movie to watch and no other "tests".

• Like 1

Went to the building opposite Promonada to get my Certificate of Residence.

Told they don't do them any more ...... now over the road at Promonada.

Went to Immigration at Promonada, about 50 people queuing for the info desk .........

Walked into the G4 office, 20 second wait, can you get my CofR for me?, certainly sir 500bht, come back tomorrow afternoon.

500B is half a ticket to BKK. If they wont do it with my BKK tabien baan in CNX, which I don't know yet, I'm happy to fly down instead of throwing it into the mouth of some greedy clowns.

U.S. citizens can get a Cert. of Res. from their consulate -- that's what I'm doing today for my DL renewal. I'd rather give Uncle Sam $50 than have to go out to Imm. Prom. twice and pay G4T 500 baht.

Paying G4T the 500 baht is the least hassle in my book. So I had to go to Promenada twice.... nice outing and I do like the Rimping there.

Whats US$50 equate to in baht? 1770 approx. Hmmm Ill stick with G4T for future CoRs.

Edited by CMKiwi

Collected my CofR from G4T at 1pm, went to d/l centre ....

Lights test straight away, then made me do the 1 hour video (on PC with headphones).

Another hour for sitting and waiting for my number.

1040bht for renewing M/c and car license.

Paying G4T the 500 baht is the least hassle in my book. So I had to go to Promenada twice.... nice outing and I do like the Rimping there.

Whats US$50 equate to in baht? 1770 approx. Hmmm Ill stick with G4T for future CoRs.

Oh I like Promenada well enough, but I don't like the idea of supporting G4T. It was nice to see the good people at the U.S. Consulate today and to be in-and-out with the Cert of Res in 15 minutes.

One thing I really like about them is that when Congress has their periodic stupid attacks and shuts down the U.S. gov't due to failure to pass a budget, the U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai still keeps their U.S. Citizens Services doors open. How do they fund it? By not send those $50 notary fees to Washington and using the money to pay their bills here in Chiang Mai. They keep on working while the rest of the U.S. gov't in the U.S. stops. That deserves support.

That maybe ok and aĺl well and good for you Nancy and other fellow Americans but for the rest of the known world.... we probably dont have a lot of time for the US consulate no matter how much of a good job they do.

Many posts have mentioned how the Certificate is suppose to be free (And it is if you want to wait) But I and many others a willing to pay the 500 baht to get it the next day.

If you're happy to pay the extra 1200 odd baht to support staff at your consulate then thats your perogative.

By the same token Im happy to support the immigration staff of Chiang Mai via G4T (Which most believe is whats happening). Perhaps if govt workers had a decent wage then this wouldnt occur....or to a lesser degree.

Edited by CMKiwi
  • Like 2

my driver's license expires 6 April.

How long before this date can I get it renewed? I don't want to wait until last days in case something turns up and I am not here. I am 72. Is there an age limit?

Thank you in advance for replies.

my driver's license expires 6 April.

How long before this date can I get it renewed? I don't want to wait until last days in case something turns up and I am not here. I am 72. Is there an age limit?

Thank you in advance for replies.

The last I saw was up to 45 days in advance. No age limit.

Went for drivers license renewal from 1 year to 5 year today. Brought copies of passport pages, yellow book (proof of residence), medical certificate.... did the color test (mini stop light), paid the fee and received my new 5 year license all in about an hour. No movie to watch and no other "tests".

Went this morning, arrived at 10am, supplied the same as you, traffic light test at the desk, was given ticket number 104, done and dusted in about 1hr. Edited by roo860

Nice report Nancy and pretty much mirrors my experience as I posted in the OP. I do explain the 10 Baht in there I believe.

//edit - believe I remember now. Did you get a little plastic protective pouch to put the DL in, that is the 10 Baht.