Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai

Tywais

And looking at the debarcle now required to get your Cert of Residence.... it may take you some time.  If you do have a motorbike licence (or endorsement) then the procedure is a lot easier/quicker, although you will still need all the other paperwork.

The medical cert is a bit of a joke. Normally any little medical practise will issue you one without even 'seeing' you.  You pay a minimal fee and get a certificate very easily.

Photocopy your Brit driving licence, passport details page, visa page.

You will get a 2 year temp licence, they dont do a 1 year temp anymore.  After 2 years you apply to renew and they give a 5 year temp licence.  Its a bit hit and miss as to if they make you take the eyesight/colour chart.  I didnt do it but my mate had to a few days later.

Once you get your licence, it will really take the wind out of the BiBs sails when you show them at the checkpoints.... but Murphys law is that they wont stop you once you get it!  I know it happened to me.  Got stung twice in one week then no stop for a month after getting the licence!

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 11:53 PM, Somnambulist said:

I renewed my five-year license today.  I was 360 days late but they give you a whole year's grace period so in effect I milked my last one for an extra year.  No scolding.  I arrived at 8:10 and was out at 10:40. I could have arrived later, say, 8:30 because the video didn't start till a little after nine.   A large group of us had to wait in the video room for some time and then watch the whole video of animated cars and motorbikes making idiotic moves.  The only test given was the color test.  If you don't know any Thai, at least learn the words for red, green, and yellow.  I know them (whew).  

Before the video a man talked for a while, drawing some laughs.  At one point he looked at me and asked if I can speak Thai.  Nit nooi, I replied.  Nit diaw, the man said disapprovingly.  I do speak some but the man's disapproval is well-placed.  I've become a cliche--a long-term resident whose Thai is still half-assed.  I'm noticing that more these days.  Gotta get back to studying because life is much more fun when you can actually talk to people.  

I'm going in for renewal tomorrow. Were you required to show proof of residence? I don't have time to wait two days for one via Thai immigration. I have scans of my yellow house registration but I forgot the actual book in BKK.

You required to show proof of residence

Chiang Mai Immigration do not issue anymore

You have to get it from Your Embassy Or Consulate

It will depend on your nstionsllity

Americans can get within the next few days

As consulate closing for renovations

Australian when they come back to Chiang Mai on 14th  October

It will be a statuary declaration as i have just been advised by the Embassy on Bangkok

Other nationality's not sure on

Maybe others can advise

if you need your country embassy not shown above

You required to show proof of residence

Chiang Mai Immigration do not issue anymore

You have to get it from Your Embassy Or Consulate

It will depend on your nstionsllity

Americans can get within the next few days

As consulate closing for renovations

Australian when they come back to Chiang Mai on 14th  October

It will be a statuary declaration as i have just been advised by the Embassy on Bangkok

Other nationality's not sure on

Maybe others can advise

if you need your country embassy not shown above

Is there any cross country agreements, for example any EU citizen can get one from another EU embassy? Or commonwealth like UK & Australia?

The Promenada notice says down for update, maybe it will be back up before October?9209ec6b863b42ef870f6234f52d5aa8.jpg

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect.

3 hours ago, SpoliaOpima said:

I'm going in for renewal tomorrow. Were you required to show proof of residence? I don't have time to wait two days for one via Thai immigration. I have scans of my yellow house registration but I forgot the actual book in BKK.

I needed a certificate of residence, which I obtained from G4T, which is now located two floors above Immigration at Promenada.  You apply in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon of the following day.  But there have been reports that they no longer do this.  And the U.S. Embassy is temporarily closed, so unless there's a work-around, you have to go to Bangkok.  I hope I'm wrong about this.  Good luck.  

I just returned from the Dept of Land Transport in Chiang Mai. I was able to renew my drivers license using my work permit as proof of residence rather than the scan of my yellow house registration book. Took just under three hours including color test, reaction time test, and one-hour training video.

On a whim I stopped by the Chiang Mai district office afterwards, and using the house registration scan, was able to get the foreigner ID card. Applying took only 10 minutes, but there was a two-hour wait before the card was ready.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stuurman said:

Excellent idea, I will go to immigration right away to get the certificate of residence that I need for my application. Oh wait... 

You don't need a residence certificate to apply for a yellow housebook, Always better to inform yourself first...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2015 at 3:10 PM, hard124get said:

why bother getting one at all? getting into National Parks cheaper seems the only advantage !

You've go to be kidding.  

The Royal Botanical Gardens hit me for the full farang fee, even after showing my licence, while three Indian women in front paid the 'locals' fee.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to apply for both car and motorbike. Can I just make 2 photocopies of my residence certificate? or do they need two original RC?

How about the medical certificate?

Edited by xng
a

1 hour ago, xng said:

I want to apply for both car and motorbike. Can I just make 2 photocopies of my residence certificate? or do they need two original RC?

How about the medical certificate?

You only need one original of each (and a copy of each) to get both licenses at the same time (or at least that's how I did it and they had no complaints). 

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

You only need one original of each (and a copy of each) to get both licenses at the same time (or at least that's how I did it and they had no complaints). 

oh my god. I only got one RC from immigration. that means i've got to make 3 more trips to immigration?

i think this is ridiculous. why can't they use the same original cert.

37 minutes ago, xng said:

oh my god. I only got one RC from immigration. that means i've got to make 3 more trips to immigration?

i think this is ridiculous. why can't they use the same original cert.

You only need 1 (one) original Certificate of Residence and 1 (one) original Medical Certificate....plus a copy of those two originals.  When I said before "one original of each", that's what I meant.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CMBob said:

You only need 1 (one) original Certificate of Residence and 1 (one) original Medical Certificate....plus a copy of those two originals.  When I said before "one original of each", that's what I meant.

Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding.

I got my driving license today after being moved around from counter to counter.

It seems that info desk doesn't know how to deal with foreigners only Thai people. I queued up wrongly based on wrong information by their staff.

Info desk-> counter 29 -> counter 21 -> counter 28 -> counter 24

The eye chart color test was quite interesting. Each person was made to queue up and test one by one and takes one minute per person with no breaks in between.

The various queues were very long but everything was done very fast. If we wanted to ask any questions, they didn't have much patience to answer.

Edited by xng

On 12/29/2014 at 9:37 PM, Tywais said:

application form, copy of my passport, copy of my work permit (address verification in my case) all signed, my DL, passport and work permit

Do you need a medical  for the five year renewal ?

Is the yellow book needed ?

Where to get the application form ?

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, HullyGully said:

The answer's to your questions

Yellow Book required

Medical not required

Application Form, you can get at the information desk, takes a couple of minutes to fill out, its in Thai/English

Thanks, hope you are right about the medical.