Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai

Tywais

I understand I need proof of residence to apply for the driving license but what is the best option for me? I'm a British National just arrived on a Non O based on marriage to a thai citizen.

From what I have read the COR is no longer issued by Immigration in Chiang Mai and the British Consulate is no longer in operation either. Is this correct? Would I need to apply for COR from the British Embassy in BKK and if so, can it be done by post?

Also, I have seen that you can use a Yellow House Book as well. Is the procedure for getting this in Chiang Mai 'fairly' painless? My local ampur office would be Doi Saket. Does anyone have experience of getting one there?

Any helpful info would be much appreciated.

12 hours ago, hounddog said:

IFrom what I have read the COR is no longer issued by Immigration in Chiang Mai and the British Consulate is no longer in operation either. Is this correct?

You can get your COR at Promenada for free but you have to get an appointment before 11:00 am , then you have to wait after 2-3 weeks to collect. I got mine there.

It's still issued at Promenada because I went there today. It's a long queue because many foreigners are in Chiang Mai. 

Alternatively, you can get it at your embassy in Chiang Mai for a fee if you can' wait.

Edited by xng

Regarding 5 year renewals, I was given this at the information desk on 3 Dec. I was also told that as I was renewing 5 year bike and car license, photocopies would be accepted for Res Cert and Medical Cert for one of the renewals. The markings were on the sheet the info desk gave me.

image.jpeg

Edited by ragabob
Additional info
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

G'day all, I think my situation slightly different, I am semi retired, spending 3-4 months, LOS,have house sankhaemphang, married thai national, I have 2 year temporary motorcycle licence due for renewal june 2017,do i need a letter from immigration ? can i get a 5 year licence this time ?

thanking you for any help, rgds songhklasid.:smile:

Edited by songhklasid

3 hours ago, songhklasid said:

G'day all, I think my situation slightly different, I am semi retired, spending 3-4 months, LOS,have house sankhaemphang, married thai national, I have 2 year temporary motorcycle licence due for renewal june 2017,do i need a letter from immigration ? can i get a 5 year licence this time ?

thanking you for any help, rgds songhklasid.:smile:

As to the "letter from Immigration", I presume you mean the Certificate of Residence; if so, yes, you'll probably need one......presuming the rules are the same next June.

As to getting a 5-year license here in Chiangmai (other offices may be different), I believe it depends on what visa/extension you have.  A couple of friends of mine stay here 6 months a year (relying on 2 Tourist visas with 30-day extensions) and they can only get 2-year license renewals because of their visa/extension situation.  So, currently, I'd guess you'll only get another 2-year license.  Whether these rules are consistently applied, heck if I know.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, ykshev said:

Anybody heard about any restriction on obtaining temporary driver license with tourist visa?

Nope.  Friends of mine with tourist visas recently got their license without any problems (and they got what appears to be the norm now, a two-year license).

I'm sorry I can't answer your question directly. I'm guessing that since it's that close you may well be able to. I've read elsewhere on the forum reports of a grace period of perhaps as much as a year. If no one gives you a better answer, it might be worth your time to go and ask at the 2nd floor info desk. Maybe. Or if you're like me and get stopped for DWF (driving while farang) you could ask the cop?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am figuring to try for my Thai driving license and have been reading through  the various WEB sites on the subject.

Some of them state no written test necessary if one has a full Driving License from the UK for example.

Mine is Current and covers for Cars Motorbikes and Goods Vehicles up to 3.5 Tons I think - I do not have the paper version as they stopped that in UK and only a Card now exists - but I do have a copy of the last paper version.

I do not have an 'International' License.

Not too worried ref Written Test and I am reading through them now so that I am aware.

But does anyone know if I really have to 'Swat Up' for a 'pass' or can relax over it.

Best Rgds.

On 08/01/2017 at 1:39 PM, HullyGully said:

f you have a full UK license, you can obtain a car and motorcycle license WITHOUT doing test

You need

Passport copy of details page plus visa page and entry stamp

Medical report - 60Baht at local hospital

COR or Yellow Book

Application Form

You need copies for each license

Take original documents with you

You will complete a eyesight test and maybe a reaction test at the centre

You need to have a 1 year non o visa for a five year license

If you do not have a yellow house book, you need to go to IMM Prom to get the COR, if you pay G4T Baht 500, its issued the next day

Hi Hully Gully - 
Thnxs for the information.

Because of my age I have to renew my UK license every  3 years.

Previously there was also an accompanying Paper Driving License but last time I applied it was held and I was informed that they are no longer issued.

So that just leaves me with a Card - with photo ID etc and lisitng of all the Vehicles permitted.

In other words the standard UK Driving License.

Do you think all OK with that?

Yes, should be no problem

The Thai license is the same a plastic card with driving categories, NO paper section

I think the UK was the only country issuing a paper section, which is now not issued

So, get your documents and head down to Hong Dong Driving Centre

• Like 1

On 12/17/2016 at 11:22 AM, CaliTransplant said:

I'm sorry I can't answer your question directly. I'm guessing that since it's that close you may well be able to. I've read elsewhere on the forum reports of a grace period of perhaps as much as a year. If no one gives you a better answer, it might be worth your time to go and ask at the 2nd floor info desk. Maybe. Or if you're like me and get stopped for DWF (driving while farang) you could ask the cop?

My Thai Driving licenses (Car/Bike) were issued with 2 year validity until July 2017. I understood that next time I can get 5 year permits. Glad there is a "English" computer test but it took 3 attempts. Absolute incomprehensible/ contradictory gibberish no way to pass but to memorize questions.  

How early may I apply? 

Edited by Dipterocarp

I think its 90 days before your license expires

You need a type 'O' visa to get a 5 year license, otherwise I believe its 2 year

If you have a "O' visa and go the day after your license expires, the new license is valid for nearly 6 years, 5 years 11 months

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to start the process of doing the Driving License here in Chiang Mai, and obviously I need to show up on 2 different days to go through obligatory watching the "training" and doing the drive test the next day. I want to do it on Friday and then the 2nd part on Monday before I go traveling next week, but I also gotta go to Myanmar to get another 30 day exemption stamp. Will there be any issues since I'm technically starting the process on a different visa (which is exemption stamp) than the one I'm finalizing it with?

I dont think they will worry too much about the different visa stamp and sometmes you may have to wait a while to get an appointment for the practical part of the test (Driving). It all depends how busy they are.

The only question I have for you is about your visa run to Myanmar..... I thought these were long gone. If you are talking about the Mai Sai border crossing you wont be allowed/or will be warned by Thai Immigration that you cannot re-enter Thailand unless you have a proper visa or a re-entry permit.

• 3 weeks later...

Chiang Mai traffic police have been relentless about issuing 500 baht tickets anywhere near old town if you don't have an international or Thai license for a motorcycle. I speak enough to be polite, I'm wearing a helmet, skated through two stops with no ticket, 3rd stop cost me 500 baht, said it will cover me for a week.

So  ... I got a 2 year 'temporary' for both car and motorcycle with a 60 day Tourist Visa.

The only tricky part was getting the Residency Certificate, but when the hotel I'm staying at gave me a receipt that has their legal name, address, phone etc. it was no problem.

They just transferred the car license because my US license is valid, 305 baht.

Had to take the written and driving exams for the scooter, was 205 baht.

Needed to make photocopies of my passport, residency certificate and US license and there's a guy who does it there, it's cheap and easy.

Chiang Mai Buddy helped with the Residency Certificate and they also have most, if not all, of the written test on their site. Had to sit  through an hour long video that wasn't nearly as helpful as the CMBuddy test questions. 50 questions, some are duplicated, I think all were on the CMBuddy site.

Took all day. I transferred the car license first, two hours, 8:30 to 10:30, then had to watch the film.

They do the driving test in the afternoon, but there might be a morning session too.

Told me to come back at 13:00, but they do cars first, didn't do the cycles till 3:30. It's a real short course, no one seems to pay any attention ... the last 'test' is driving on a 2x10 plank that's about 20' long ... I botched it, right in front of the guy who then handed me back my test ... passed, no problem.

Went and found a checkpoint first thing this morning just to be sure it works as advertized. It does.

2 hours ago, MrKFC said:

They just transferred the car license because my US license is valid, 305 baht.

Needed to make photocopies of my passport, residency certificate and US license and there's a guy who does it there, it's cheap and easy.

So, if you have a driverlicense already (in my case a valid till 2026 Dutch carlicense) , you do not have to do any tests ?
I will be in CM from March 20 onwards, have a O-A (year) Visa, so can easily get this Thai car-license ?

Sometimes they dont even bother with the eyesight test.  Its just a series of coloured circles anyway...more to test for colour blindness than an actual eyesight test. Oh and dont forget to get a medical certificate too... virtually any side of the street doctors office will give you one.  No tests or inspections required..... about 80 baht.

On 26.1.2017 at 3:44 PM, CMKiwi said:

I dont think they will worry too much about the different visa stamp and sometmes you may have to wait a while to get an appointment for the practical part of the test (Driving). It all depends how busy they are.

The only question I have for you is about your visa run to Myanmar..... I thought these were long gone. If you are talking about the Mai Sai border crossing you wont be allowed/or will be warned by Thai Immigration that you cannot re-enter Thailand unless you have a proper visa or a re-entry permit.

This incorrect since the rules changed recently. Allowed per year are TWO land Border Crossings and all nations get 30 days.

You are required to have an eyesight test
Maybe reaction test

No actual driving test

Its also better to have an International Driving License to support your Dutch License

Yes, definitely get an International Driving License ( or Permit they call it now) as your home country driving license will not be recognised if not in English.