Fitness & Motivation

singa-traz

I read quite a lot the latest that i read was about how much genetics played a role in weightloss and muscle mass. Its 62% genetics. Natually skinny guys will never have the same problems as people who are heavier set. 2 People starting weight lifting with same amounts of foods same exercise ect will have after a few months different results. Same goes for weight loss, genetics play a major part.

That is not to say we can't change but you can't always become what you want to become.

Well if you eat too less 100 %, no matter what genetic or hormones will loose weight.

Only when eating too much and still keeping skinny the genetic starts be important.

you are talking about starvation at 100% reduction ... thats not the same , however even then the rate of weight loss ,will be different according to genetic makeup ... i agree rob, genetics is a major player in this ... we get, what we are given ...

I read quite a lot the latest that i read was about how much genetics played a role in weightloss and muscle mass. Its 62% genetics. Natually skinny guys will never have the same problems as people who are heavier set. 2 People starting weight lifting with same amounts of foods same exercise ect will have after a few months different results. Same goes for weight loss, genetics play a major part.

That is not to say we can't change but you can't always become what you want to become.

Well if you eat too less 100 %, no matter what genetic or hormones will loose weight.

Only when eating too much and still keeping skinny the genetic starts be important.

You are right you will loose weight.. but it stops somewhere. We all got genetic set point.

For instance if we put both you and me on a muscle training program (assuming we are both untrained) after a few months there will be a difference between us even if we do the same.

Same goes if we are both untrained and go for a bike training program.

Some bodies will do much more to retain fat as other bodies, sure if we are both not eating we will both loose weight but even that won't be at the same rate or same places. We have to understand that genetics play a large role in everything.

However getting to a normal weight would be possible for everyone, but getting as lean or as bulky as we want is not attainable for everyone. I could use 2 times the drugs Arnold used train 3 times as hard and still be tiny compared to him.

I have had motivation problems for exercise and a second hand spinning bike I bought remains unused to date. However, my motivation is coming back after an 85 km ride on Sunday and I will start of with half hour sessions on my upright exercise bike tonight. My target is to get to my ideal weight by the end of the year. I am not looking to reduce weight overnight as I do not believe that is healthy.

For me, simply cutting my rice intake by about 80 percent has resulted in weight loss. Rob knows that I am not fat but according to my BMI, my weight is still a little high. I want to reduce my weight to 72 - 75 kgs. I am already down from 84 to 80.5 in the space of two months just by reducing rice intake. I am 181 cms tall. I want to get rid of the slight belly and love handles I have developed. Getting more vain as I get older. smile.png

PS: I am not looking to bulk up on muscle. I just wannt to be fit, trim, healthy and off blood pressure meds.

Edited by GarryP

I have had motivation problems for exercise and a second hand spinning bike I bought remains unused to date. However, my motivation is coming back after an 85 km ride on Sunday and I will start of with half hour sessions on my upright exercise bike tonight. My target is to get to my ideal weight by the end of the year. I am not llooking to reduce weight overnight as I do not believe that is healthy.

For me, simply cutting my rice intake by about 80 percent has resulted in weight loss. Rob knows that I am not fat but according to my BMI, my weight is still a little high. I want to reduce my weight to 72 - 75 kgs. I am already down from 84 to 80.5 in the space of two months just by reducing rice intake. I am 181 cms tall. I want to get rid of the slight belly and love handles I have developed. Getting more vain as I get older. smile.png

Garry,

I know your not fat at all.. when we met fat never ever crossed my mind. Cutting carbs usually helps most people. Its good to see that you are getting motivation back. I am also vain but have to admit its a hard battle.

My points are just that everyone responds different to things and that we have to be realistic in what we set as a goal and what we expect. Someone stating that by biking just a bit he lost huge amounts of weight does not mean that if an other person attempts the same will have the same results. It is not just dedication and effort, its also what your body does.

Garry , well done !! from little things big things grow , what u need to do is find what works for you , this is not a blanket cover where it works the same for every individual ..we have different DNA for a reason ... personally i have great success on a Paleo based diet , even with very little cardio & only body weight exercises ... however it may not work the same for you ... i have a great book called Grain Brain that i have sent to many people , if your interested i will send u a link to have a read .. goodluck and great discussion

You are right you will loose weight.. but it stops somewhere. We all got genetic set point.

For instance if we put both you and me on a muscle training program (assuming we are both untrained) after a few months there will be a difference between us even if we do the same.

Some bodies will do much more to retain fat as other bodies, sure if we are both not eating we will both loose weight but even that won't be at the same rate or same places. We have to understand that genetics play a large role in everything.

However getting to a normal weight would be possible for everyone, but getting as lean or as bulky as we want is not attainable for everyone. I could use 2 times the drugs Arnold used train 3 times as hard and still be tiny compared to him.

Yes on everything beside: you couldn't take 2 times the drugs of Arnold...he described by people who know him as genetic freak, not for the muscles but for the liver.....

yes on the training, with much effort I may get somewhere close to what you get if you are very lazy on the muscle side.....

But when it goes to weight, we can both eat so little till we have 35 kg and than die, just look at the cases of Anorexia.

There are genetic limits what you can get on muscle or how much blood your heart pumps around. There is no limit what happens if you don't eat enough. Look at people who starved in the past, some can cope with it better some worse but all get slim, thin and than die....no limit there. The body needs energy, if it is 3000 kcal or 1000 kcal, if you eat less than this you'll loose weight.

Per genetic some will feel more hungry than others but all will loose weight.

Yes on everything beside: you couldn't take 2 times the drugs of Arnold...he described by people who know him as genetic freak, not for the muscles but for the liver.....

yes on the training, with much effort I may get somewhere close to what you get if you are very lazy on the muscle side.....

But when it goes to weight, we can both eat so little till we have 35 kg and than die, just look at the cases of Anorexia.

There are genetic limits what you can get on muscle or how much blood your heart pumps around. There is no limit what happens if you don't eat enough. Look at people who starved in the past, some can cope with it better some worse but all get slim, thin and than die....no limit there. The body needs energy, if it is 3000 kcal or 1000 kcal, if you eat less than this you'll loose weight.

All will loose weight.. true.. but the rate and even where (face belly ect) is different. Also the difficulty and the hunger is different for everyone. Some people have a natural low bodyfat setpoint and the body will resist them getting fatter. Not everyone will be able to maintain the same low bodfat. However we can all look like normal human beings without being really overweight.

I have had motivation problems for exercise and a second hand spinning bike I bought remains unused to date. However, my motivation is coming back after an 85 km ride on Sunday and I will start of with half hour sessions on my upright exercise bike tonight. My target is to get to my ideal weight by the end of the year. I am not looking to reduce weight overnight as I do not believe that is healthy.

PS: I am not looking to bulk up on muscle. I just wannt to be fit, trim, healthy and off blood pressure meds.

I found it is much easier to bike 2 hours outside than 30 min inside.

It partially helps to watch a movie or read a book while on the spinning bike, but still it is boring.

I found it more efficient to spin every second day 60 min than every day 30 min, but that might be for everyone different.

It partially helps to watch a movie or read a book while on the spinning bike, but still it is boring.

I found it more efficient to spin every second day 60 min than every day 30 min, but that might be for everyone different.

I used to be reasonably motivated and would use the exercise bike four days a week and go out on my bicycle on Saturday or Sunday or both. I sort of got waylaid when my wife became really ill and since her passing I never really got back into it. Don't know why really, but my motivation is coming back. I used to watch documentaries while cycling as it helped pass the time but after 15 minutes of quite intensive cycling my head is down and I am not in a position to watch television. I do not just pedal at a comfortable rate, I try to push myself to get the sweat running and my heart pumping.

• Like 1

I used to be reasonably motivated and would use the exercise bike four days a week and go out on my bicycle on Saturday or Sunday or both. I sort of got waylaid when my wife became really ill and since her passing I never really got back into it. Don't know why really, but my motivation is coming back. I used to watch documentaries while cycling as it helped pass the time but after 15 minutes of quite intensive cycling my head is down and I am not in a position to watch television. I do not just pedal at a comfortable rate, I try to push myself to get the sweat running and my heart pumping.

I put the laptop on a table that is relative low and flip the screen that way that I look downish.

I also tried to take the tablet and put it on the steering and read ebooks.

For both things I would say the sitting position would be OK, not perfect but OK. But after 20 min heavy pedaling my IQ drops that I can't really comprehend what I read. I read in English which isn't my mother language, maybe German would work a bit better.

My body needs about 20-30 min till it really gets used to the exercise, getting the cadency over 100 and everything feeling right. Maybe best at 45 min, but than it starts to get really boring.

All will loose weight.. true.. but the rate and even where (face belly ect) is different. Also the difficulty and the hunger is different for everyone. Some people have a natural low bodyfat setpoint and the body will resist them getting fatter. Not everyone will be able to maintain the same low bodfat. However we can all look like normal human beings without being really overweight.

In my experience, after you lost weight, your setpoint is at the old weight. After you maintain the new weight for a time the body gets used to it and less urge to go to the old weight. With limits of course.

Yes I think the genetic variance is: If we cut out the worst food, sugar, processed carbs and eat healthy, than one might be thin the other might have 15 kg too much, but no one will be a 200 kg monster.

In my experience, after you lost weight, your setpoint is at the old weight. After you maintain the new weight for a time the body gets used to it and less urge to go to the old weight. With limits of course.

Yes I think the genetic variance is: If we cut out the worst food, sugar, processed carbs and eat healthy, than one might be thin the other might have 15 kg too much, but no one will be a 200 kg monster.

The setpoint theory is still not widely accepted and or understood. I would hope that what you say is true.

You are right about loosing weight of course.. if you cut out the bad stuff it will be hard to be a lot overweight. I was just putting things together on why its so much easier for others. Also explain why one person can screw up his diet and stay lean while an other has to work on it hard and might not even get to the same state.

Your other reply about how long your body needs to get used to the exercise.. I have the same feeling when rowing, after a while usually 15-20 minutes you get used to it and your brain accepts the task and it goes better. I only have this for cardio.. never for weightlifting.

The setpoint theory is still not widely accepted and or understood. I would hope that what you say is true.

You are right about loosing weight of course.. if you cut out the bad stuff it will be hard to be a lot overweight. I was just putting things together on why its so much easier for others. Also explain why one person can screw up his diet and stay lean while an other has to work on it hard and might not even get to the same state.

Your other reply about how long your body needs to get used to the exercise.. I have the same feeling when rowing, after a while usually 15-20 minutes you get used to it and your brain accepts the task and it goes better. I only have this for cardio.. never for weightlifting.

The spleen (is that the right word) releases some additional blood into circulation when you do sport. Maybe that needs time?

Also other organs like kidney gets less blood so there is more to transport O2. Maybe to adjust that all needs some time.

Also it wouldn't surprise me if the fat burning thing need some time to get into full gear and before you run more on sugar.

Would be interesting to search for informations.

for lifting weight there isn't much to do, no problem on the blood circulation

That is a very good and realistic goal, you can do it quite easily. Probably all the more so for knowing robblok.

BMI is way off for athletic builds and may be dangerously reassuring for skinny frames.

I have recently been reading about how overexercising is counter productive. I agree. I reckon it is much the same for diet.

Yes challenging is good, but like anything it is that old maxim about moderation. Personally I find moderation the most boring thing in the world so I like to overdo it sometimes in the gym and at the dinner table too.

Exercising at home is a difficult discipline usually undertaked in hot conditions. 30 mins sounds ok. Personally I would do 20 mins until I felt absolutely comfortable.

• Like 1

That is a very good and realistic goal, you can do it quite easily. Probably all the more so for knowing robblok.

BMI is way off for athletic builds and may be dangerously reassuring for skinny frames.

I have recently been reading about how overexercising is counter productive. I agree. I reckon it is much the same for diet.

Yes challenging is good, but like anything it is that old maxim about moderation. Personally I find moderation the most boring thing in the world so I like to overdo it sometimes in the gym and at the dinner table too.

Exercising at home is a difficult discipline usually undertaked in hot conditions. 30 mins sounds ok. Personally I would do 20 mins until I felt absolutely comfortable.

Over exercising is something that is real hard to do, it will take quite a while and real strenuous exercise. To be honest I doubt you would get close. Its especially hard to overexercise with aerobic exercises easier with weightlifting (and even then its real hard). In all my time I have come close just a few times.

I complete agree with moderation, but for cardio training I doubt that anything below 30-40 min counts for something.

I complete agree with moderation, but for cardio training I doubt that anything below 30-40 min counts for something.

Agreed for steady state cardio.. HITT is a different story.

Over exercising is something that is real hard to do, it will take quite a while and real strenuous exercise. To be honest I doubt you would get close. Its especially hard to overexercise with aerobic exercises easier with weightlifting (and even then its real hard). In all my time I have come close just a few times.

Well you can do overexercise easily, if you train every day, as it accumulates. But on the bike everything starts to hurt so much that you'll know about it. And easily with distance, if you bike full speed for 4 hours, untrained and you won't sleep the next night+have a high heartbeat frequency all the night. Also peeing may burn like acid. So it is relative easy to do, but still needs complete lack of common sense. (and even easier to do with some chemical help, caffeine for example, than you may also dehydrate more adding to the problem, with the sun in Thailand, you may even get some real big troubles.)

Well you can do overexercise easily, if you train every day, as it accumulates. But on the bike everything starts to hurt so much that you'll know about it. And easily with distance, if you bike full speed for 4 hours, untrained and you won't sleep the next night+have a high heartbeat frequency all the night. Also peeing may burn like acid. So it is relative easy to do, but still needs complete lack of common sense. (and even easier to do with some chemical help, caffeine for example, than you may also dehydrate more adding to the problem, with the sun in Thailand, you may even get some real big troubles.)

I doubt that a 1 time untrained ride of 4 hours will result in overtraining. It will hurt as hell and is bad for you but overtraining is something that is not fixed by a week off and I am sure that a week off after a ride that you describe would put you back on track.

Think it kinda depends what you consider overtraining.

I doubt that a 1 time untrained ride of 4 hours will result in overtraining. It will hurt as hell and is bad for you but overtraining is something that is not fixed by a week off and I am sure that a week off after a ride that you describe would put you back on track.

Think it kinda depends what you consider overtraining.

You spoke about "over-exercise" (not overtraining) which I consider as too much exercise. That 4 hour ride, may not result in hurting you. I don't mean the muscles were overloaded. The cardio/nervoese system. If you once stay in the bed with 100 heart beats per minute you know what I mean.......But it resolves itself within 24 hours.

You spoke about "over-exercise" (not overtraining) which I consider as too much exercise. That 4 hour ride, may not result in hurting you. I don't mean the muscles were overloaded. The cardio/nervoese system. If you once stay in the bed with 100 heart beats per minute you know what I mean.......But it resolves itself within 24 hours.

My bad.. I meant overtraining.

My bad.. I meant overtraining.

overtraining on the bicycle is harder to do....but also possible....just sit every day on the bicycle and ride full power. But not easy to achieve because you get a lot pain just about everywhere and really don't want to do it anymore.

Possible but nothing you do accidentally by mistake.....

Sometimes (like today) I train so hard that I feel weak and tremble a bit at the end and I feel totally spend (also mentally). It will then take me an hour or so to get back to normal.

Usually as you say when you use some stimulants (caffeine / ephedrine). I just did dead-lifts 4 sets of 5 with higher weights as normal, then incline DB press till failure 4 x 8 and 4 x 8 pull ups and then some triceps exercise. I started with some rowing to warm-up.

These were not much in sets and exercises however these were all compound exercises that leave you drained if you really go for it.

Of course I don't always train like that If i did id end up over-trained for sure. But sessions like this do help with progress however little that is.

Sometimes (like today) I train so hard that I feel weak and tremble a bit at the end and I feel totally spend (also mentally). It will then take me an hour or so to get back to normal.

Usually as you say when you use some stimulants (caffeine / ephedrine). I just did dead-lifts 4 sets of 5 with higher weights as normal, then incline DB press till failure 4 x 8 and 4 x 8 pull ups and then some triceps exercise. I started with some rowing to warm-up.

These were not much in sets and exercises however these were all compound exercises that leave you drained if you really go for it.

Of course I don't always train like that If i did id end up over-trained for sure. But sessions like this do help with progress however little that is.

I read the Soviet athlets did a controlled overtraining. Training like madmen and than keeping a very long recovery period without any training.

I regularly do squats, than deadlifts and than another exercise for thighs which results that I need a 2-3 days for full recovery (specially my legs recover slowly, and as soon as they are they get 1 hour pain in cardio :) . Maybe eating more could shave off 1 day.

these heavy exercises that uses almost all the body and the largest muscles are real killer, but they are also much more useful than any exercise that focus on just a small muscle group.

I read the Soviet athlets did a controlled overtraining. Training like madmen and than keeping a very long recovery period without any training.

I regularly do squats, than deadlifts and than another exercise for thighs which results that I need a 2-3 days for full recovery (specially my legs recover slowly, and as soon as they are they get 1 hour pain in cardio smile.png . Maybe eating more could shave off 1 day.

these heavy exercises that uses almost all the body and the largest muscles are real killer, but they are also much more useful than any exercise that focus on just a small muscle group.

I just might start paying money for professional advice. To setup a training program for me to see if I can go any further. I have read quite a bit about advanced training for people at their limit. I know a lot but there are people who know even more as me especially helping people that stall a bit. There might still be options for me. I do get stronger slowly at some exercises.

I am ok with it all and actually don't think I need much more size but I like improving instead of maintaining. That is just how my mind works. But I seem to have all things going for me again.. healthy food good training.. some supplements. Who knows the juicing (home mad vegetable juices) might provide me with some nutrients I have been missing. But I wont hold my breath.. part of me has accepted that progressing past what I have become is hard.

I regularly do squats, than deadlifts and than another exercise for thighs which results that I need a 2-3 days for full recovery (specially my legs recover slowly, and as soon as they are they get 1 hour pain in cardio smile.png . Maybe eating more could shave off 1 day.

I just might start paying money for professional advice. To setup a training program for me to see if I can go any further. I have read quite a bit about advanced training for people at their limit. I know a lot but there are people who know even more as me especially helping people that stall a bit. There might still be options for me. I do get stronger slowly at some exercises.

I am ok with it all and actually don't think I need much more size but I like improving instead of maintaining. That is just how my mind works. But I seem to have all things going for me again.. healthy food good training.. some supplements. Who knows the juicing (home mad vegetable juices) might provide me with some nutrients I have been missing. But I wont hold my breath.. part of me has accepted that progressing past what I have become is hard.

Add some other sport, if you want a challenge, OK everything is difficult in Bangkok. Climbing would be a great challenge to the muscles, or bike, either mountain bike or street. I find it very interesting to combine complete different targets. Specially sport that needs you as light weight as possible with muscle training that makes you heavy.

Some serious biking has the advantage that you can eat all the carbs you want.....just time is the problem if you have a job as well.

• Like 1

Any cardio for unfit people is beneficial, even a stroll down the shops. And those 20-30 minute runs on the treadmill are very useful in early stages. But there comes a time when they are meaningless. I can't think of anything worse for me than doing 30 mins slow treadmill 5 days a week for 30 mins. But not everybody is the same, some get real sense of emotional well being. For others, they go in to a trance like state, probably good for the soul. For real fitness, no I too doubt it.

To get really fit, it is necessary to create an oxygen debt, and interval training is quick and easy and can even be incorporated in to weights too as robblok does.

These days when I am on the treadmill I think to myself, "well if you haven't done what you need to do in 20 mins, when are you going to do it?". It is a way of jolting myself in to a bit of action. But there are days when it is so hot, or my priority is on bench press, and I content myself with just a fast march on incline.

Variety is so important to me, to prevent boredom.

• Like 2

Add some other sport, if you want a challenge, OK everything is difficult in Bangkok. Climbing would be a great challenge to the muscles, or bike, either mountain bike or street. I find it very interesting to combine complete different targets. Specially sport that needs you as light weight as possible with muscle training that makes you heavy.

Some serious biking has the advantage that you can eat all the carbs you want.....just time is the problem if you have a job as well.

I got a job too you know that so its not possible. As for climbing. wont happen with my body too much muscle (weight) I can do pullups but you wont see me do one handed pullups. Though its nice climbing. Biking.. not really my thing.

What I mean with professional support is someone that could build a program with percentages and rest days deloads ect. Its a complete science. I have seen such programs from Mark Rippetoe only the best can make such programs you won't find these guys in a gym. So I am not sure as it might be real expensive.

I got a job too you know that so its not possible. As for climbing. wont happen with my body too much muscle (weight) I can do pullups but you wont see me do one handed pullups. Though its nice climbing. Biking.. not really my thing.

What I mean with professional support is someone that could build a program with percentages and rest days deloads ect. Its a complete science. I have seen such programs from Mark Rippetoe only the best can make such programs you won't find these guys in a gym. So I am not sure as it might be real expensive.

everyone can climb, you don't need to start with the most difficult place. Climbing in the sun in Thailand must be nice....

Any cardio for unfit people is beneficial, even a stroll down the shops. And those 20-30 minute runs on the treadmill are very useful in early stages. But there comes a time when they are meaningless. I can't think of anything worse for me than doing 30 mins slow treadmill 5 days a week for 30 mins. But not everybody is the same, some get real sense of emotional well being. For others, they go in to a trance like state, probably good for the soul. For real fitness, no I too doubt it.

To get really fit, it is necessary to create an oxygen debt, and interval training is quick and easy and can even be incorporated in to weights too as robblok does.

These days when I am on the treadmill I think to myself, "well if you haven't done what you need to do in 20 mins, when are you going to do it?". It is a way of jolting myself in to a bit of action. But there are days when it is so hot, or my priority is on bench press, and I content myself with just a fast march on incline.

Variety is so important to me, to prevent boredom.

I can't get into this trance like state in the room, but can get into it on the bike outside and only if I do it full speed. If it runs good I can hunt for the best performance for hours without being really in the reality, just like a machine on full throttle.

I guess it is the endorphins...back in the stone age hunting a deer till it collapses from exhaustion.....