Anyone Giving Up This New Year?

ThaiPauly

I write to wish you every success and offer moral support. I myself gave up drinking and smoking almost 13 years ago. I smoked about 40 cigs. a day and couldn't stop drinking once I started. The first suggestion I might make is to stop telling yourself ...."it's not going to be easy"....If you keep focusing on that then it most certainly will be that way (your subconscious is taking in everything you are thinking and saying). Regarding the cigarettes, don't start off by deciding to give them up for the rest of your life...but just for today, or for a few hours or for 1 hour. No matter how addicted you are, you can put off a smoke for one hour. When the goo (urge) hits you, say to yourself "I'll wait for about 15 mins. before I light up". You may find that after 15 mins it has waned, Yes it will come back again and you do the same again but you will feel that you are beginning to gain control over the cigarette rather than it controlling you. It is good that you are seeking the support of others. I personally had to stop the drinking before I could stop the smoking. A drink and a smoke just went hand in hand...like pepper and salt. I couldn't have stopped the drinking on my own though...I sought help and got it and am a free man now...a slave to neither of them. Life is absolutely beautiful today as a result.

Again I wish you every success and try to remember if others can do it.....so can you....God Bless.

GREAT POST you are right about thinking positively regarding this, I just have to change my attitude. I also thought that quitting the booze would be hard, but I did it on my own.

I am glad so many others are joining me in this quest, let's stick together and keep posting about our progress.

Good luck everyone

Tried everything, and I mean everything!!!! The Alan Carr Easyway worked for me - sensible, no tricks - and you can smoke while you give up. Watch the various youtube videos from people he helped.

You can download the book (pdf) free from the web and I found investing in the webinar (about $150) also helped.

Barely any physical withdrawal and I have never wanted to smoke again!! I had been smoking for 40+ years!!!

• Like 2

Reading these letters is enough to put the frights in anyone,apparently harder to kick than Heroin,but you gotter do it,don't wait till your lungs collapse. Wish anyone giving up success .

This is untrue and illogical. It is easy to quit but it depends on our attitude. For example, we all quit on a long flight or when we are asleep without going into a heroin style withdrawal. Even the long flight withdrawal is fairly mild compared to speed, heroin, etc.

Unfortunately, it is extremely easy to get addicted and very quick. Therefore, if you quit, you have to stay 'quitted'. Otherwise, it is back to the old nicotine addictive merry-go-round. And, I never want to go back there.

I quit 4 years or more ago. I had smoked for over 20 years and was on 40+ a day in Bangkok.

I just stopped. I made no other changes to my lifestyle, I still went out drinking almost every night.

I merely ignored the feeling that I needed to smoke and just kept telling myself that I was now a non smoker.

From the moment I stopped that was it.

To those of you trying to quit, good luck, your willpower is all you need.

If anyone would like a copy of Alan Carr's book PM me and I will send you a copy.

It is a very good book but it did not work for me.

Me neither, I tried it 3 times from front to back,just did not click with me.

Anyway,onwards and upwards, 6 and a half hours to go....i'm surprisingly quite excited about quitting, wonder if I will still have that opinion in 24 hours!!

I got clean via quomen. After a week of them, I was down to 2 fags a day and ready to stop until I contacted bronchitis - I locked myself away, sat on my hands for 2 weeks watching you tube and drinking coffee in between coughing up into a bucket.

After 22 years of abuse, it was time for me to make a decision - quit and live or smoke and live a breathless later life and die a slow and horrid death.

Good luck.

If anyone would like a copy of Alan Carr's book PM me and I will send you a copy.

Anyway,onwards and upwards, 6 and a half hours to go....i'm surprisingly quite excited about quitting, wonder if I will still have that opinion in 24 hours!!

Me too. It was only on the third reading plus the webinar (awful marketing-speak!!) that I finally got it. Then it worked.

Good luck. Hope you do it.

Remember there are no real benefits to smoking. As J P Donleavy wrote, it is a cruel trick played on our ignorance.

• Like 1

Good Luck and happy New Year Paul.

• Like 1

Jeez, if that avatar looks like you, then you have my deepest sympathies. :)

Pauly, best of Kiwi luck to you. And to everyone else quitting at midnight - fingers crossed for you.

Yeah, I always wanted to be a cartoon character and Thai Visa has enabled me to fulfil my dream.

Thanks for the good wishes....it has to be done

This is the 1st post I read this year and I want to thank the OP and all the other posters here. I've been a smoker or 45 years and I was thinking about this yesterday. Getting short of breath when walking and feeling tired a lot. Then, there was the financial aspect: 100 baht a day = 3000 baht a month. Now, for some people, 3000 baht a month may not mean much, but why should I just blow it away? And if I have to stop drinking for a while to help kick the habit, so be it...more money saved.

So, a Happy and Healthy New Year to all of us.

• Like 1

I gave up drinking 2 years 5 months and 2 days ago.

Now it's time for the ciggies to go the same way after 35 years, already getting the jitters and haziness....but am determined to do it this time.

Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

I am going to give it another go this year. As with a few others on here it's going to have to be the booze and cigs together.

In my fiftys now and did manage to kick them for a year in my thirties so I know it can be done.

ThaiPauly and "all" others who quit smoking, how are you doing?

Please, keep us posted so we can possibly be of support.

Remember, even if you fail and smoke one cigarette, you still haven't failed, it's only a bump in the road.

• Like 1

ThaiPauly and "all" others who quit smoking, how are you doing?

Please, keep us posted so we can possibly be of support.

Remember, even if you fail and smoke one cigarette, you still haven't failed, it's only a bump in the road.

Day 3 now.....not saying it's easy.....it ain't, but I'm told it gets easier the longer I give it

• Like 1