Anyone Giving Up This New Year?

ThaiPauly

Failure for me....can't explain why.

I will try again, but right now I'm feeling depressed that I have not made it

Better luck next time.

I'm going back to the UK at the beginning of March , none of my family smoke so that will be my next goal now, to give up while I am with them.

Good luck to anyone who is still hanging in there

Don't beat yourself up too much, this is one of the hardest drugs to successfully quit. Maybe in-between now and March, when you visit family, you can implement some other healthy life-style changes in preparation to quit. Less use of stimulates which prompt the urge to smoke, more exercise in whatever capacity you can manage, spending time doing things where smoking is not allowed and pushing youself to last a little longer between smokes or just go cold turkey again, you have nothing to lose. Best of luck to you!!!!

• Like 1

Failure for me....can't explain why.

I will try again, but right now I'm feeling depressed that I have not made it

Better luck next time.

I'm going back to the UK at the beginning of March , none of my family smoke so that will be my next goal now, to give up while I am with them.

Good luck to anyone who is still hanging in there

You haven't failed yet if you don't give up, just a bump or two in the road, you have to allow yourself to not be perfect.

If we always set very hard rules to follow, we're gonna break and fail all the time.

It's not always black and white, it does exist a gray scale, just focus towards the whiter shade of pale.

Remember, it takes about a week before you come out of the worst withdrawals.

Now you have told your body what to expect, stop with nicotine directly right now and go on with your efforts, should be easier now.

• Like 2

Nice try, Pauly. If you are struggling to go cold turkey, then perhaps as a stopgap, you could try to regulate the habit part of the addiction. Force yourself to have only one cig per hour on the hour. Then as you get comfortable with this routine, extend the time to every hour and 5, then hour 10 etc. When drinking , one cig per drink, no more - so like, a beer will take maybe 30 mins to drink, but you might normally smoke say 3-4 cigs in an hour. Force yourself to develop a habit of only lighting when the waitress brings you your next beer.

This worked for me - I didn't stop, but it cut down the number of cigs as well as taught me how to control the habit part, making it a little easier when crunch time came round.

Best of luck, mate.

• Like 1

Nice try, Pauly. If you are struggling to go cold turkey, then perhaps as a stopgap, you could try to regulate the habit part of the addiction. Force yourself to have only one cig per hour on the hour. Then as you get comfortable with this routine, extend the time to every hour and 5, then hour 10 etc. When drinking , one cig per drink, no more - so like, a beer will take maybe 30 mins to drink, but you might normally smoke say 3-4 cigs in an hour. Force yourself to develop a habit of only lighting when the waitress brings you your next beer.

This worked for me - I didn't stop, but it cut down the number of cigs as well as taught me how to control the habit part, making it a little easier when crunch time came round.

Best of luck, mate.

Well that's one thing I have going for me....I successfully quit drinking 2 months ago, the idea is still sound though, I am aiming to cut my consumption down from 30 to 20 a day for now

Start of day 5 without a drink or smoke. The craving for a smoke was really getting to me on Saturday so went out and go some nicotine gum which seems to be helping tremendously.

Hang in there guys, you can do it!

• Like 2

Cool, canman. Bottle of screech rum and a can of cod tongues if you succeed. Mate, check out mindfulness - google it. I'm not normally into this type of thing, but it helped me enormously. Keeping busy with tasks that require brain power can help - anything that distracts, in fact. Suck your thumb or someone else's - who gives a sh1t if it works, do it. Luck your way.

• Like 1

Cool, canman. Bottle of screech rum and a can of cod tongues if you succeed. Mate, check out mindfulness - google it. I'm not normally into this type of thing, but it helped me enormously. Keeping busy with tasks that require brain power can help - anything that distracts, in fact. Suck your thumb or someone else's - who gives a sh1t if it works, do it. Luck your way.

Thanks for the support mate. I'll pass on the cod tongues but welcome some screech. For me there are two aspects, the physical addiction - nicotine gum is working for that and the other is the habit addiction. The habit is the tough one and I can deal with that by keeping out of the pub and hitting more golf balls. Day 6 and so far so good.

In my 30's I went cold turkey and gave up for a year; one 3 day R&R to the PI with some mates and all the sudden I was back on them. It's a constant battle guys, never let your guard down!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well I am ready to quit tomorrow.

I am on my last packet of duty free's.

I got 3 months supply of nicotinel patches while I was in the UK.

I know it will be very hard, but this time I cannot afford to fail, my very life depends on it as I am really starting to struggle to breath properly.

I will post of my progress and any support would be most welcome.

TP

Well I am ready to quit tomorrow.

I am on my last packet of duty free's.

I got 3 months supply of nicotinel patches while I was in the UK.

I know it will be very hard, but this time I cannot afford to fail, my very life depends on it as I am really starting to struggle to breath properly.

I will post of my progress and any support would be most welcome.

TP

That made me want to quit too - the breathing.

I was sick when I gave up, had been using quomen and contracted bronchitis .. So spent a week coughing into a bag and lying on the sofa .. After that it was easy.

Stick with it mate, you will feel a better, handsome, stronger, healthier and richer guy - also everyone loves a non-smoker ;)

• Like 1