Need Some "veteran" Opinions

emogo

Hi everyone, I am a "newbie" to Chiang Mai ( I have been here about a week) and am having some issues about where to stay. I am going to be living here for 6 months. My work is located north of the city, off of 107, by the Chiang Mai Imperial Resort. I know that the Yellow Songthaows go right there, after leaving from Chang Phuak bus stop. I am not yet ready to start driving a motorbike especially all the way up to work during the rainy season. Hopefully I will get on one eventually, but no guarentees. I have been looking for places to stay by Chiang Phuak station and have so far narrowed down to the following to places, both of which are guest houses, that offer long term stays. The Tri Gong Residence is at 8 sribhum Road (trigong.com), Lane 1 or Banilah at 11 SoteSeuks (banilah.com). I was hoping I could get some veteran opinions on which place would be more "livable" without a bike. Banilah is closer to the bus stop, but it seems Tri Gong is a better area for recreation? I would really appreciate any feedback on:

1)which is a preferable location

2) Life in Chiang Mai for 6 months without a vehichle

3) other suggestions on where to live (for no more then 6,000 baht/month)

Emily

Hi everyone, I am a "newbie" to Chiang Mai ( I have been here about a week) and am having some issues about where to stay. I am going to be living here for 6 months. My work is located north of the city, off of 107, by the Chiang Mai Imperial Resort. I know that the Yellow Songthaows go right there, after leaving from Chang Phuak bus stop. I am not yet ready to start driving a motorbike especially all the way up to work during the rainy season. Hopefully I will get on one eventually, but no guarentees. I have been looking for places to stay by Chiang Phuak station and have so far narrowed down to the following to places, both of which are guest houses, that offer long term stays. The Tri Gong Residence is at 8 sribhum Road (trigong.com), Lane 1 or Banilah at 11 SoteSeuks (banilah.com). I was hoping I could get some veteran opinions on which place would be more "livable" without a bike. Banilah is closer to the bus stop, but it seems Tri Gong is a better area for recreation? I would really appreciate any feedback on:

1)which is a preferable location

2) Life in Chiang Mai for 6 months without a vehichle

3) other suggestions on where to live (for no more then 6,000 baht/month)

Emily

Well, first, let me tell you that I don't know either of the guesthouses you mentioned, but I can tell you that from anywhere n Chanpuek, it's no problem with transport anyhere, including Mae Rim. I've got a few years of experience in this area... But, when you feel up to a bike, then your limitations have pretty much ended. A guesthouse is a great place for awhile, saving you from many many hassles, like phone, electricity, etc.

I think your area in Chanpuek is also great because everthing is in your area, and they have enough foreigners living there so sellers aren't so surprised when dealing with you. And it's the closest area to where you are working..

Have fun here :D