Is there any limit on back to back tourist visas?

Despite the refrain that genuine tourists go home, my understanding is as follows:

1. There is no limit on the number of back to back tourist visas one may receive.
  2. A particular Thai consulate will normally issue two back to back tourist visas before issuing a warning with the third that further visas would require the following: ( A ) Proof of residence in Thailand (such as a rental contract); ( B ) Proof of income from outside of Thailand (such as a bank statement in English from a foreign bank).
  3. A consulate will not assess the tourist visas issued from other consulates when determining whether it should require proof of residence or income. (This is why some people switch to a different consulate after every second visa.)

Are all points 1-3 above correct?

If you had the requisite proofs of residence and income, is there any reason you couldn't just keep going back to the same consulate for 5, 10 or more tourist visas?

If so, that fact would seem to indicate to me that Thailand doesn't necessarily take a dim view of people who are here on a very long holiday, so long as those people can prove they have an income from outside of Thailand and are thus unlikely to work here and take income from Thais. Thoughts?

Edited by itsuptome
  • Like 1

I believe it could be a thai bank book/statement showing online transfers sourced from outside the country.

Any proof of residence can be used. A copy of a rental contract would be accepted. All they really want is proof address.

There are several methods for proof on income you use. A Thai bank book is the best.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/786587-proof-of-residence-in-thailand-financial-income-blue-stamp/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/715011-red-stamp-in-vientiane-advice-needed/

I agree there's no evidence Thailand takes a dim view of 'forever tourists', that's just a few posters on TVF.

Edited by jspill

Thoughts?

There's always the possibility you'll encounter an immigrations officer at an entry point who takes a look at all those visas and refuses you entry.

If so, that fact would seem to indicate to me that Thailand doesn't necessarily take a dim view of people ...

Thailand isn't a person. It doesn't take views. You have to deal with immigrations officers and embassy personnel who have both the authority and responsibility to use their discretion when deciding whether or not to issue visas, admit "tourists" or allow extensions of stay.

And loopholes or gaming the system, especially when discussed on forums such as Thai Visa inevitably gains the attention of policy makers and often results in changes ... as has been the case with abuse of ed visas, serial over-stayers, shifting bank balances from person to person for extension of stay applicants, among other things.

You may manage to game the system, possibly for years, but it'll work until it doesn't and then you might be left standing on the Laos/Thai border whining about how unfair the immigration officer was in refusing you entry.

• Like 2

And loopholes or gaming the system, especially when discussed on forums such as Thai Visa inevitably gains the attention of policy makers and often results in changes ... as has been the case with abuse of ed visas, serial over-stayers, shifting bank balances from person to person for extension of stay applicants, among other things.

You may manage to game the system, possibly for years, but it'll work until it doesn't and then you might be left standing on the Laos/Thai border whining about how unfair the immigration officer was in refusing you entry.

There's no evidence the authorities read these forums and take actions based on discussion within them. They either like us being here or they don't, doubt they're reading some messageboards then deciding. But regardless, tourist visas aren't a loophole, using them repeatedly isn't gaming the system. If anything surely the TAT would be happy to see us informing tourists where they can visas the easiest.

Re: serial overstayers there are still overstay threads on these boards as of today and the proposed policy changes on blacklisting never went into effect, likely shelved http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781882-overstay-on-3-month-non-b-am-i-in-trouble/#entry8767022 So your theory doesn't hold water there.

whistling.gif Your three beliefs are not necessarily true.

In general, they are a good guide, bur different Thai consulates and immigration officials may take their own view and apply the "rules" differently.

Singapore, for example, is know to be "unfriendly" and even if you have 2 tourist entries from another Thai consulate it is possible that Singapore will deny you for a third one.

And, frankly, if you are a European or American, you have a much better chance of getting a 2hd or 3rd tourist visa than other nationalities do.

Thai immigration would deny this, but all you have to do is look at the record and the pattern is obvious.

To be fair, that has a lot to do with the nationality of those caught illegally working in Thailand without proper documentation.

Again, just look at the record of the nationalities of those caught, and there is a distinct pattern.

Once burnt, twice shy.

Bottom line, you go by those general guidelines ..... but there is no hard-and-fast rules that always apply.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

There is no rule, law or regulation against doing multiple tourist visa entries. The only way they can deny entry is for lack of financial proof and/or being suspected of working here or some other infraction listed in the immigration act.

Getting the visa depends entirely on where you apply. You could eventually reach a limit that the embassy or consulate has set for doing them back to back. Going to different locations for them can avoid reaching that point.

So it is not set in stone that alternating between consulates would avoid reaching a limit, as you suggested in earlier comments on other threads? By the way, Happy New Year UJ!

There is no rule, law or regulation against doing multiple tourist visa entries. The only way they can deny entry is for lack of financial proof and/or being suspected of working here or some other infraction listed in the immigration act.

Getting the visa depends entirely on where you apply. You could eventually reach a limit that the embassy or consulate has set for doing them back to back. Going to different locations for them can avoid reaching that point.

So it is not set in stone that alternating between consulates would avoid reaching a limit, as you suggested in earlier comments on other threads? By the way, Happy New Year UJ!

I did not write that. Reread my post.

• Like 1

What is the best method for showing proof of income if you don't have a Thai bank account, and don't have a bank book? I think it's been 10 years since I've even seen one.

Why don't you print out your online statements, or activate paper statements from your financial institution? Even if you are solely a Western Union recipient, then you could keep and present the paperwork. Plus, WU has an online system now too.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I thought I would ask here since it fits. I came first time last March for 1 month and 2 weeks on exempt stamp, then went back to Canada and got a triple entry tourist visa, after that, visa run for single entry, then another visa run for single entry, and then recently went to KL and came back in on an exempt stamp. So my question is, providing I can show proof of sufficient funds, can I still get tourist visas?

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I thought I would ask here since it fits. I came first time last March for 1 month and 2 weeks on exempt stamp, then went back to Canada and got a triple entry tourist visa, after that, visa run for single entry, then another visa run for single entry, and then recently went to KL and came back in on an exempt stamp. So my question is, providing I can show proof of sufficient funds, can I still get tourist visas?

Yes you should be able to get another tourist visa as long as, if asked, you can prove sufficient funds and satisfy that you are not working. It would be a good idea, if possible, to apply at an embassy/consulate you haven't used before.

• 10 months later...

Is this info in op still correct? Thanks in advance

Yes

There is no limit on the number of tourist visa you can get other than a restriction on getting them back to back set by a embassy or consulate.

Thank you for that reply.

I'll be in Penang applying for 3rd, with 2 prior, both with 30 day extensions. Do you think this will be approved?

• 8 months later...

It's a crying shame, needless to say, that we have to deal with inconsistent, illogical and impractical policies and activities associated with contributing greatly to the Thai economy by living here neccesitating stupid ass visa runs. As I've posted before in relation to visa and other issues in Thailand, that well, it's becoming time to go to live in an alternative country - at least part of the year - and spend and enjoy my time - and money there - without visa and discrimination hassles. Thanks for the thread, it was informative.

12 hours ago, TerrylSky said:

It's a crying shame, needless to say, that we have to deal with inconsistent, illogical and impractical policies and activities associated with contributing greatly to the Thai economy by living here neccesitating stupid ass visa runs. As I've posted before in relation to visa and other issues in Thailand, that well, it's becoming time to go to live in an alternative country - at least part of the year - and spend and enjoy my time - and money there - without visa and discrimination hassles. Thanks for the thread, it was informative.

Your living here on back too back 'Tourist visas'.....Think about it.

10 hours ago, Ronuk said:

Your living here on back too back 'Tourist visas'.....Think about it.

Some people have to because the necessary 'legitimate' visa is not available.

For example, the stupidity that says only 1 dependent visa can be issued per child. Even the Thais I have spoken to think that an only child should have 2 parents, but not Thai Immigration it seems.