90 Day Reporting - Comments and Experiences 2015

Tywais

The online reporting didn't work for me today, so I went out to Promenada, with photos and comments reported on that the pinned thread. It's only the second time I've been to that mall and I must say the lunch was very good. It was the highlight of the day. Certainly much better than the 2-1/2 hour wait to do the 90 day report, which technically I'd say was a 3-1/2 hour wait since I arrived at 11:57 and found no one available to pass out queue tickets.

Frankly, I think it's rather poor that they have much unused space in that new aircon office and require everyone to sit outside in the heat. It would be acceptable if they were processing people quickly or made announcements on a PA systems so that you could hear them a long distance or sent you a SMS when your queue number was ready, so you could shop in the mall. But to expect people to sit outside -- or actually stand because there aren't enough chairs -- for 7 - 10 hours waiting for their number for a retirement extension to be called by a CMU intern who can barely speak English is frankly something just short of a human rights violation to expect an octogenarian to endure.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems to me that the staff were perfectly professional. I commend them for stopping a queue jumper and politely telling the offender to return on another day. It stands to reason that to expect to be dealt with 40 minutes prior to closing time is unrealistic. Clearly those already waiting patiently with queue numbers had followed the correct procedure. Well done Immigration for bringing discipline into their processes. It was sadly lacking in the old office.

That wasn't my experience with getting a single reentry. They did not call numbers for it while I was there this afternoon.

The trainee came out and a lady showed him her number 41 he told her to go in. I had 40 and asked about it. He told me to go in. The work was done very fast for the two of us.

They had three chairs and would get three people in them but only one guy doing the work. The trainee took your 1000, baht and wrote a receipt. When I was having mine done I noticed that number 43 had already been done. The tag was just laying there on a pile of tags. Never did here any red numbers called while I was there. Can't say about earlier or later. Just around 3:00 to 3:30 time.

@JC ... appraisal of your lunch required ... jk, tongue.png

I opted for online report this morning and had approval email back within 4 hours. Missed out on Pho Anh or Dukes lunch tho.whistling.gif

we did the Ragu lunch a late one.

My favorite in Promanade is the Ramen Noodle shop called Tsuekemen 55

Umakara Ramen 195 bht (Miso Ramen with spicy Mabotofu)

11220948_10206814261544651_6858288825025

Noko Tsukem 175 bht (Thick Pork Soup with Thick Noodle) served for dipping with a hot plate to keep broth warm

11659432_10206814300145616_8928118300583

After the pork ribs and noodles are finished in the dish posted above one can increase the amount of soup with some dried fish broth and add an egg, rice and cheese to make "risotto"

11698637_10206814305225743_5153198502065

You did ask after all :)

The online reporting didn't work for me today, so I went out to Promenada, with photos and comments reported on that the pinned thread. It's only the second time I've been to that mall and I must say the lunch was very good. It was the highlight of the day. Certainly much better than the 2-1/2 hour wait to do the 90 day report, which technically I'd say was a 3-1/2 hour wait since I arrived at 11:57 and found no one available to pass out queue tickets.

Frankly, I think it's rather poor that they have much unused space in that new aircon office and require everyone to sit outside in the heat. It would be acceptable if they were processing people quickly or made announcements on a PA systems so that you could hear them a long distance or sent you a SMS when your queue number was ready, so you could shop in the mall. But to expect people to sit outside -- or actually stand because there aren't enough chairs -- for 7 - 10 hours waiting for their number for a retirement extension to be called by a CMU intern who can barely speak English is frankly something just short of a human rights violation to expect an octogenarian to endure.

Lovely, so the new immigration office is <deleted!> and our human rights are in danger. Such drama.

Lovely, so the new immigration office is <deleted!> and our human rights are in danger. Such drama.

Though not a"human rights" violation just another way they disregard our dignity and show their contempt. These issues are not new and I hoped the new location would be an improvement. It seems to be worse for the captive customers. The wait time at the old location for 90s was recently often less than 5 minutes, now it is back up to hours and people are turned away in the last hour before closing? ... the online reporting still is not mac friendly. .... I still show them respect but it is fake as they obviously do not respect me.

That's right -- its is a disregard for our dignity and a way to show contempt for us to be forced to wait for many, many hours in the heat with no special provisions being made for those over age 80 --- that's the definition of octogenarian, for those who didn't know. Esp. since they have much empty space in their aircon office. It's especially telling since we're forced to wait in the parking garage, next to the sheep and goat pen.

post-68373-0-61246300-1437621264_thumb.j

Is this really what the Promenada Mall management had in mind when they sent out all their press releases announcing the coming of the Immigration office. Is this how they want mall customers to be treated? To be spending hours in these conditions, barely protected from monsoon rains, in the heat without fans? Not knowing when their queue number will be called? Arriving at 5 am from the Old City to get a queue number, told to "come back at 1 pm" only to still be waiting at 3:30 pm?

post-68373-0-63671900-1437621515_thumb.j

While I will readily agree our experiences with trying to comply with our "permissions" to stay is not easy at times....I will also say...

I sometimes imagine running a country that does not have a ton of $$$/income for projects & trying to decide given govt. incomes via taxes etc how shall we spend/budget this?

It should not come as a surprise that making visitors more comfortable during their visits to immigration offices is not right at the tip top of their list.

Should our rights trump the governments/Thai peoples rights to improvements?

I think we tend to have a very short view of how long the line must be of other valid claims/requests for improvements by the government.

Uncomfortable? Yes at times it is...

A hassle? Yes at times it is.....

Do we suffer daily??

While I will readily agree our experiences with trying to comply with our "permissions" to stay is not easy at times....I will also say...

I sometimes imagine running a country that does not have a ton of $$$/income for projects & trying to decide given govt. incomes via taxes etc how shall we spend/budget this?

It should not come as a surprise that making visitors more comfortable during their visits to immigration offices is not right at the tip top of their list.

I think we tend to have a very short view of how long the line must be of other valid claims/requests for improvements by the government.

Do we suffer daily??

A valid point that I will counter with the fact that the daily take from "the customers" at Immigration is huge, a single reentry is 1000 and costs them nearly nothing to produce and extension of stay or visa extension is 1900. Can you think of another business or service provider that can charge these rates for such a tiny service? Tourism, retirment and long stay are probably the only real growth industries in the country. Look at how you are treated at a local dentist, doctor, hotel or retail shop and the service is usually prompt and accomidating. Compare the experience with Immigration. They should run their service like a business because they charge for their services but it is unfortunatly a monopoly that is a branch of the RTP.

Do we suffer daily??

You are 100% correct when you say do we suffer daily. Once a year if we

choose to not use an agent. 4 times a year if we choose to not mail in or do are

90day on line. Myself I have never suffered doing it in person. I got a single reentry

at the new office in the Promenada yesterday and it was in and out in half an hour.

The 90 day and permission to stay were far less efficient than at the airport office.

The new office is small and really doesn't allow a lot of room for the amount of people.

In the afternoon there was a lot of seats outside with four chairs and a table.

Those with the table were not under cover. What got me was at the old office you

knew what desk you would be poing to and could look up at the number being served

and get an idea of how long you would be there. At the new office you have to ask

around from the people being served what their number is. Normally at the old office

it wasn't that big a help as you were stuck there. At the Promenada if you knew it

would give you a chance to go for a meal or a cup of coffee.

I was sure they would have problems when they moved in. Now that I have seen

it I see there is no solution there. They don't have the room for staff to do a more efficient job.

At a guess they have less total room than the airport office.

One other thing I noted was the announcing of numbers required complete attention to understand it.

As I said earlier there was no board you could look at to see where you were in the line.

In my case it wasen't announced there was a trainee at that time looking for people with the red tags.

Didn't seem to be in any order. He saw a red tag and told you to go in. They had one officer doing

the work with three chairs. The trainee would make sure the chairs were full as one customer

was done you would move over to the next chair. The trainee took your money and gave you your receipt.

Though not a"human rights" violation just another way they disregard our dignity and show their contempt. These issues are not new and I hoped the new location would be an improvement. It seems to be worse for the captive customers. The wait time at the old location for 90s was recently often less than 5 minutes, now it is back up to hours and people are turned away in the last hour before closing? ... the online reporting still is not mac friendly. .... I still show them respect but it is fake as they obviously do not respect me.

Absurd drama. disregarding dignity .... showing contempt ....captive customers ....

Some people just do not belong here.

Why you guys don't send it by mail? Puzzled.

I have wondered about this too. It is of course reasonable to suppose that the post office is also unknown, distant or crowded although I have yet to find one as crowded or as smelly and odd as the company at the airport office. And the Airport office can't be beat for getting a flavorable mix of the area's expat circus.

It just struck me how easy we have it here.

My wife just got a visa for the States. Canada is out of the question time wise.

Also they make Thailand look like a Philanthropist when it comes to paying for the Visa.

The American and Canadiian just get off the airplane pay $25 and get a Visa.

The amount of paper work and qualifications she needed to just get a tourist Visa is unreal. Many are refused

when you compare it to getting a Visa for a Canadian or American to come to Thailand North Americans have a piece of cake.

To top it all off I know of one case where a Lao women who had her Visa in good order was not allowed into the states.

Yes we 4 times a year have to send a letter or on line for residency. Plus once a year get permission to stay.

How ever there are no hoops to jump through to get them.

I have wondered about this too. It is of course reasonable to suppose that the post office is also unknown, distant or crowded although I have yet to find one as crowded or as smelly and odd as the company at the airport office. And the Airport office can't be beat for getting a flavorable mix of the area's expat circus.

You hit on a good point there. I was talking to a fellow in the new office getting his 90 day.

I mentioned mailing it and he said it was just as easy to bring it in.

Not every body lives next to a post office. He said he lived out in the woods.

Thanks Nancy for taking the time to share your experience with your 90 day reporting. I was so surprised to see people having to sit outside in the heat while waiting to be processed through the infamous Chiang Mai Immigration.

I couldn't help notice there is plenty of room inside their air-conditioned office to accommodate people. If there are any posters that personally knows the ring-leader of that circus, please suggest they allow people to sit inside their air-conditioned office while waiting to be processed.

Have the rules changed?

A Thai friend married to a disabled Brit (Wheelchair bound etc) went to do his 90 day report at Promenada on Friday,she was told that you now have to report in person. She has done this on many occasions and knows the rules,she thought! She questioned the response of the young man and lady captain who sat next to him said nothing.

Fortunately her husband was in the car waiting so she had to produce him,wheelchair and all, to complete the 90 days!

Now this is contrary to all that I am familiar with and makes little sense when there is now mail in, online and agents doing 90 days on behalf of people.

So, have the rules changed?

Have the rules changed?

A Thai friend married to a disabled Brit (Wheelchair bound etc) went to do his 90 day report at Promenada on Friday,she was told that you now have to report in person. She has done this on many occasions and knows the rules,she thought! She questioned the response of the young man and lady captain who sat next to him said nothing.

Fortunately her husband was in the car waiting so she had to produce him,wheelchair and all, to complete the 90 days!

Now this is contrary to all that I am familiar with and makes little sense when there is now mail in, online and agents doing 90 days on behalf of people.

Maybe we'll have to personally deliver our postal reports facepalm.gif

You hit on a good point there. I was talking to a fellow in the new office getting his 90 day.

Sarcasm from Mapguy ? rolleyes.gif Hard to believe that the fellow you spoke to who you say lives out in the "woods" that there is not a PO a lot closer to his residence than coming into the city.You don't have to live "next door" to one.But again a matter of choice.

Last Friday, July 24, I mailed by 90 day in while out doing the usual shopping,no special trip. Received it back today, July 28, 2 working day turn around.

Interesting that on the back of my receipt were details of some guys passport,they are obviously re cycling some of their photocopies, his name and re entry details clearly visible,so much for confidentially. Will try online next time just using up the envelopes I had prepared in advance.

Sarcasm from Mapguy ? rolleyes.gif Hard to believe that the fellow you spoke to who you say lives out in the "woods" that there is not a PO a lot closer to his residence than coming into the city.You don't have to live "next door" to one.But again a matter of choice.

Last Friday, July 24, I mailed by 90 day in while out doing the usual shopping,no special trip. Received it back today, July 28, 2 working day turn around.

Interesting that on the back of my receipt were details of some guys passport,they are obviously re cycling some of their photocopies, his name and re entry details clearly visible,so much for confidentially. Will try online next time just using up the envelopes I had prepared in advance.

Tried mail in for the first time,posted last Thursday received at immigration on Friday morning.

Still no receipt as of today.

Have the rules changed?

On Wednesday I did a 90 day report for myself and a friend who lives in the same building. He'd given me a letter of permission, which they barely glanced at. They certainly didn't read it. They were more concerned because they couldn't locate his previous 90 day slip in his passport. Turns out it wasn't stapled into his passport and it had slipped out into my handbag. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to totally dump out my handbag looking for it before leaving Immigration, after calling him and finding he was a little sketchy about its exact whereabouts.

This was just two days before a Thai wife was told she couldn't do a 90 day report for her disabled husband? Wow! I've done 90 day reports for my able-bodied husband without a letter of permission, but not lately since he seems to be blessed with the ability to report on-line now.

Tried mail in for the first time,posted last Thursday received at immigration on Friday morning.

How did you send it? Registered with tracking or EMS?

EMS takes longer as it has to go to Lamphum or was it Lampang? Anyway all EMS routes there first even if leaving the town it is destined for ( silly I know )

Registered gets there the same day or next at latest.Because it goes direct without detour to EMS sorting station.

I sent mine registered with tracking both ways on 7/27 was 36 baht total

I see they got it on the 28th (next day)

I see today via online tracking they mailed mine back at airport post & I am sure I will have it tomorrow.

If you went EMS expect a couple days extra

But likely no worries as this is my 4th or 5th mail in & I have never had a problem.

I am guessing you will be fine too.

EDIT: Ooops I re-read your post & see you mailed Thursday & they got it Friday so assume registered.

I think you will see it tomorrow as it was likely sent Monday morning

Also in my example I live right in town so may be faster than you depending on where you live

EMS takes longer as it has to go to Lamphum or was it Lampang? Anyway all EMS routes there first even if leaving the town it is destined for ( silly I know )

Registered gets there the same day or next at latest.Because it goes direct without detour to EMS sorting station.

I see today via online tracking they mailed mine back at airport post & I am sure I will have it tomorrow.

But likely no worries as this is my 4th or 5th mail in & I have never had a problem.

EDIT: Ooops I re-read your post & see you mailed Thursday & they got it Friday so assume registered.

Also in my example I live right in town so may be faster than you depending on where you live

I followed the Tywais pinned route with the 3 baht sae so perhaps that is the delay. Two days holiday now so Saturday is the earliest I am likely to receive it.

I followed the Tywais pinned route with the 3 baht sae so perhaps that is the delay. Two days holiday now so Saturday is the earliest I am likely to receive it.

Need to have it returned by registered post.

Not a requirement to SAE registered, mine have always used EMS going and 3 baht return. Sent afternoon one day and arrived at immigration the next day even with the Lamphun side trip. Stamped that afternoon and immigration posts it the next day and arrived a day after that. So 3-4 days maximum turnaround consistently on all my 90 day mail ins so far.

Not a requirement to SAE registered, mine have always used EMS going and 3 baht return. Sent afternoon one day and arrived at immigration the next day even with the Lamphun side trip. Stamped that afternoon and immigration posts it the next day and arrived a day after that. So 3-4 days maximum turnaround consistently on all my 90 day mail ins so far.

Not a requirement, but recommended. Sent stuff with 3 baht stamp before & never heard of again.

As per my post 141 sent EMS, received back EMS (within 2 working days). Does it really going to Lamphun because that is a very quick turn around.

Forgot to mention that it was mailed to the old address.

For the extra few baht EMS makes sense to me but each to his own

As per my post 141 sent EMS, received back EMS (within 2 working days). Does it really going to Lamphun because that is a very quick turn around.

Agreed, I've always paid for the EMS both ways just to be on the safe side and it's always taken 3-4 days max.

EMS x 2 next time, or online,assuming I get the confirmation back sometime soon.

Otherwise looks like I will be jumping through hoops at Promenada to sort it out next week.

Archived