Excluding Of Persons From Business Premises

miltonbentley

Exclusion  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Based on the strong emotions and opinions raised in the other thread I wonder how the numbers will stack up if people are able to have a vote on the issue.

I hope I have been reasonable in the phrasing of the question (I am sure there are plenty who will point it out if I haven't :o )

I hope the poll form works I've never set one up before.

Based on the strong emotions and opinions raised in the other thread I wonder how the numbers will stack up if people are able to have a vote on the issue.

I hope I have been reasonable in the phrasing of the question (I am sure there are plenty who will point it out if I haven't :o )

I hope the poll form works I've never set one up before.

miltonbentley

I know that you and I haven't seen eye to eye on very many things on past posts.

I think the idea of a poll is a very good one , as I had the same thought about 2 hrs ago after reading one of Thaiquila's posts. So I woud like to say "great minds think alike", but somehow I just can't :D

As you have indicated, the phrasing of the poll question can lead to answers in many directions.

For this reason, after giving some thought, I gave up on the poll idea. Primarily as the concept of the sign as a word, or the word as a reference to a race/nationality/ creed etc. I just couldn't work it out.

But I am interested in your results and will now vote based on the choices available and then look at the results.

Good Luck

I think it was a great idea to conduct the poll.

In the context in which it is taking place, however, I will not be voting, since I am not comfortable choosing any of the answers. I have an opinion about what the answer should be in my own country (not acceptable), but do not feel right about taking a position on what should be acceptable in Thailand. To me, that would constitute an arrogance that I do not have or wish to have.

I am not saying that it would be arrogant for any farang to take a position on the question. Someone more deeply involved in the culture (not a difficult thing to be), for example, may be able to do so without arrogance.

I am also not saying that a reluctance to be arrogant would prevent me from taking a position on any moral issue. I would have no hesitation saying that the murder of innocent people is unacceptable, here or anywhere. In this case, though, for me, the moral issue is not so clearcut and absolute.

I think the idea of a poll is a very good one , as I had the same thought about 2 hrs ago after reading one of Thaiquila's posts. So I woud like to say "great minds think alike", but somehow I just can't

Thank you Gonzo for your generous and encouraging response. I'm not such a bad chap really - honest :o

I too am interested in the outcome of the poll. 50/50 at the moment and hopefully it will attract more votes. Considering the other thread has racked up 2300+ views and 173 posts I hope a few more will vote. Although whether the result will add to the sum total of human knowledge I have my doubts.

Thaiquila

Not that a poll like this could ever be scientific, but the fact that Israelis are mentioned in the title, adds the element of Israelis, which as we all know is an unpopular country.

I only mentioned Israeli in the title to link the poll with the issues raised in the other thread. I'm sorry if you think that slants the poll towards the issue of Israel or Jewishness which was certainly not my intention. The question is a general one covering any nationality, race or credd and should be considered as such.

Dunno what this poll is about but I once saw a sign in a bar in walking street saying something to the effect of "We respect islam and therefor refuse to serve alcohol to muslims".

I thought it was pretty good - you can't both have your cake and eat it :o

Edited by Phil Conners

Good idea to have a poll.

I wonder if the yes votes would be less if the question asked if it was OK to ban YOUR nationality, race, or creed.

Simple ... sure ... ban me ... ban anyone ... it is OK

That being said ... if you do ban any group of people ... you won't be getting MY $$

I think your poll questions are as reasonable as they can be without being over complicated. They also reflect the positions people were putting forward on the thread.

I find it strange that Rasseru does not feel able to take a position on this issue. Surely it does not matter whether you are Thai, you live in Thailand or you live in Timbuctoo? You can have an opinion on it. No-one is suggesting you march through the streets demanding the Thais change their laws.

Many posters feel that giving an opinion on a matter related to Thailand is somehow arrogant. If everyone was to refrain from comment, then half the threads on this forum would cease to exist and we would be left discussing about where to buy the cheapest tyres!

White South Africans were banned from most international events throughout the 70s and 80s - I guess they were suffering racial descrimination.

Was that response by the international community a response to the'No Blacks' signs on the doors of their sports clubs (and government institutions, private businesses, whites only toilets etc)?

To me that is an example of how discrimination leads to discrimination - a circle of hatred which once started is difficult to stop.

I find it strange that Rasseru does not feel able to take a position on this issue. Surely it does not matter whether you are Thai, you live in Thailand or you live in Timbuctoo? You can have an opinion on it.

I have a position and opinions on the issue. They are as follows. I do not like discrimination anywhere. I agree with a prohibition in my country against the posting of signs excluding persons from a business establishment solely on the grounds of nationality, race or creed (as well as some other categories left out of the question included in this poll). I am prepared to leave it entirely up to Thais, without expressing any opinion of my own as to acceptability, whether in Thailand people should be able to post such signs in the kinds of circumstances described in the thread that prompted this poll.

Edited by Rasseru

I voted for no. 3 and add that it,s up to the owners who they wish to enter their premises.

They should not have to justify why so long as they are polite it,s no big deal.

If someone refuses me entry then no problem if it,s done in a reasonable manner.

Life is more important.

I will not usually take an active part in polls as such but this one could be relevant to lots of other things in this stupid P.C world we now live in.

Thanks for the platform miltonbentley

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

In the other thread I noticed that some posters whom I respect and know to be very nice people were very nonchalant about the whole issue of banning certain religions/nationalities. They also happen to be white; Anglo-Saxon Protestants who have never suffered a days hate or discrimination for their family background in their lives and know deep down that they never will.

To someone like this, the thought of being banned from anywhere is an amusing little trifle and nothing to take too seriously, but to someone whose family was gassed and burned in ovens a very short time ago in history, these signs and sentiments seem more like history repeating itself than something to be taken lightly. :o