Happy New Year and to all in need hopefully a sober one.

big carl

If you have will power you can do it. I stopped overnight (literally) 32 years ago and although the first couple of months were hard I didnt touch a drink. Have not drank since then and I feel great for it

Edited by gandalf12

Drinking is an emotional thing. It joggles you out of the standardism of everyday life, out of everything being the same.

It yanks you out of your body and your mind and throws you against the wall. I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you're allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It's like killing yourself, and then you're reborn. I guess I've lived about ten or fifteen thousand lives now.”

Happy New Year ..... bah.gif

AA Tradition Eleven:

"Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films."

And the Thai Visa Forums ?

I did a quick look, and unless you're really Jesse's brother, we're all anonymous here so far.

And on January 2, to any guy (or lady) who has just spent one more demoralizing morning waking up in the gutter, or in a puddle of pee or vomit (yet again), the mention of an alternative and New Years Greetings from some happy members is probably pretty attractive.

If you ever you catch me handing out pamphlets on Soi Cowboy at closing time, or see me on late night infomercials about "The A&A", please mention the thing about promotion.

• Like 2

" Not only does it have a program of recovery the steps in it are only suggestions".

​Suggestions in the same way that it is "suggested" you pull the rip cord when jumping from an aeroplane with a parachute"....... Doesn't it also say......"Half measures availed us nothing".

If you have will power you can do it. I stopped overnight (literally) 32 years ago and although the first couple of months were hard I didnt touch a drink. Have not drank since then and I feel great for it

...let's just call it 'intention'-'will-power', sounds a bit heroically self-promoting, and there is no (permanent) self; am only off it since 26/11/1998, around 1100 hours........

Unless you are alcoholic, where willpower is of absolutely no use at all.

• Like 1

Hmmm...can you elaborate on that. Thanks.

I would completely agree with Neeranam, if you are an alcoholic willpower alone cannot help you to stop boozing unfortunately. I am a recovering alcoholic (almost 7 months sober now) and I tried using will power for a good 5 years or so and it never worked. It wasn't until I joined AA that I could stop drinking. Basically what we suffer from is firstly a "physical allergy" whereby when an alcoholic has one drink, they want another one and another one. A normal person can say enough is enough, but an alcoholic cannot. Then this is followed by the "mental obsession" whereby the alcoholic will feel restless, irritable and discontent until they have that next drink and then the physical allergy begins all over again. This vicious circle is very very hard to break out of with willpower alone as there are stronger negative forces at work but fortunately AA shows a way to do it.

• Like 1

However fair play to those who can stop drinking from will power alone! Unfortunately there are some of us who simply cannot....

• 3 weeks later...

Some people have stronger will power than others hence some alcoholics can choose to stop drinking through will power alone. It makes sense and applies to all of life's challenges - they are easier for those with stronger will power.

Admitting powerlessness over alcohol is AA's approach. "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol, that our lives were unmanageable." Step 1. Total surrender. The problem of alcoholism is essentially seen as one of power or a lack of it. The solution is to find a new, better power. As one guy explains, that power can be anything you want, including a bottle of sauce, (Brits will understand this as it is a reference to HP Sauce!), so long as you accept that it is more powerful than you. Which leads us into the God and spirituality debate: in AA terms God can be anything you want as per Step 2: Came to believe that only a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity', that is it, just needs to be acknowledged as being greater than you. On an annual basis failure to understand this this causes thousands of drunks to die needlessly because they think it is a requirement to embrace a Christian God. In these circumstances will-power is considered as something that will kill a lot of alcoholics - AA believes it cannot be done on your own. That is why step one begins with "we" - we need the fellowship of other drunks to recover. But I am no spokesman for AA, I'm just another happy sober drunk grateful to AA…..

Edited by gerryBScot
  • Like 1