Canadian Tourist Drowns In Mae Hong Son White-water Rafting

Jai Dee

Canadian tourist drowns in Mae Hong Son white-water rafting

Mae Hong Son - A Canadian women drowned and became unaccounted for after falling off a raft during white-water rafting on the Pai River, police said.

Pol Capt Watchara Jaidee of Mae Hong Son's Muang district police station said the accident happened early Monday morning.

The tourist was identified as Susan van Amerom, 26.

Police are still searching her body in the river.

Watchara said the woman and three other foreign tourists were rafting from Pai district to Muang district on the river.

When the rubber raft reached the Kaeng Hin Mong rapid in Tambon Huaypha of Muang district, the raft lost control and the woman fell off and disappeared, the police officer said.

Source: The Nation - 14 August 2006

this is something that i had been seriously considering doing, but i had my doubts. now...

for myself i am willing to take the risks, but if i take my tgf along i would feel responsible. are appropriate precautions being taken? are the guides actually trained? is safety equipment adequate? i want to know....

I have always been a timid soul when it comes to risking life and limb, but I had to do it in the military fairly often. As soon as I had a choice in the matter, I started being careful again.

A lot of people seem to think that life is one big amusement park ride with someone making sure that everything is safe behind the scenes.

It isn't. :o

I had just recently talked to a friend who has a tour company in CM and is quite familiar with the White Water Rafting. He recommended that I not go this time of year. The water is high and unpredictable.

Even though the companies supply helmets and life vests the main problem is that not only may one fall from the raft, but has a chance of being pinned under debris or rocks. With the water level high there are few places one can climb to shore due to the debris and river banks. Most of the sand is covered.

I have taken this trip when the water was low and it was quite enjoyable. Always sorry to hear of someone losing their life under such circumstances.

Does anyone have more details on this, such as which company she was rafting with?

Heard that it was Pai Adventure - that is Alec's mob, & NOT Guy Gorias' Thai Adventure.

Really glad to hear that it was NOT Kn Guy. Nice guy , Guy. I do know that he likes his customers/guests to attend a training class at least for a short period the day before going. I think that is good, especially for the complete novice.

Sorry to hear of the tragedy and do wish for strength for the family of the deceased. Always sad for such a happy time as a holiday, turning bad like this.

Gonzo