Marriage process,my follow up story

williewolf

I made a post on here asking some advice and was asked to do a follow up as to how I got on. Here are my findings and tips.

1. British Embassy, make sure you type your affirmation form before you go, they have a big pile at the embassy, all with "sample" on them, waste of paper. Costs are clearly displayed inside the Embassy in GBP. however you have to pay in Thai baht at the very generous rate of 56baht to 1Pound

2. MFA. use the official translators on the second floor cost 500 baht. We used one of the guys hanging around cost 400 baht but he said he could do it quicker and we were hoping for the express same day service so we had him do the translation but when we submitted the paperwork they said they only do about 50 per day express so we should come back at 7am the next day if we wanted this so I declined this and said I would collect two days later. Went to collect the papers and this is where it went wrong. They said "translation no good" I asked what was wrong but he just kept pointing to the translators stamp. Did not know what to do but then a stroke of luck I saw the guy who did the translation and called him over. They told him there was a problem with my wifes name,B/S she wrote her name in thai and we checked it against her ID card but still had to re-type and re-submit. Said it would be ready by 12 noon but kept us waiting until closing time.

3 Amphur, our local amphur would not perform the ceremony, said the chief was new and not qualified so we chose Bangrak. Phoned ahead and they told us what paper work to bring, we asked about translators and witnesses and were told they were not needed so off we went. Got there and had to submit two copies of everything and the wife had to fill a form in. Submitted these and then they said where are your witnesses? Ahhh you said not needed. Ok no problem couple in front of us "do you have witnesses? no we were told not needed" so we agreed to act for each other after a visit to the copy shop for each others details filled the rest of the forms in. Guy then checks all the paperwork and you then sit in front of the chief, he signs the paperwork and you have to go to the copy shop and get four copies. He then signs and stamps these you hand over 40 baht and you are married We paid 490 baht for a folder to keep all the paperwork in and his understudy takes a photo for you

All in all a pretty painless procedure but as I am sure we all know TIT and things can vary. Hope this can be of help to someone.

• Like 1