Songkhla And Hat Yai Visit

Pitu277

I think you should be O.K. there, I dont believe the situation in that part of the south is too bad. However I would caution not straying too far from the beaten track and like in any other place you are not sure about, keep your wits about you.

Edited by baboon

Plan to be in the Songkhla and Hat Yai region for a holiday..wud appreciate any info on the situation there from the safety part..does it make sense to visit..wud appreciate an early answer..Tks
Hat Yai is very safe place to stay, most people there are chinese. food is very nice and cheap.

Plan to be in the Songkhla and Hat Yai region for a holiday..wud appreciate any info on the situation there from the safety part..does it make sense to visit..wud appreciate an early answer..Tks

From the security angle, from personal experience, the Hatyai and Songkhla municipality areas are pretty safe for visitors. Since the last terrorist incident a couple of years ago when a small explosive device went off in the dustbin in front of Carrefour, there have been no reported incidents endangering public safety.

This cannot be said for areas outside Hatyai particularly those bordering Yala province generally to the south east of Hat Yai where the majority of Thais are Muslim. The major roads leading from the Malaysian border as well as those heading out northwards to Phuket and Surat Thani and beyond (Hwy 4 and 43) are free of terrorist activity and this is a general indication of the security situation in Hatyai.

However in the 3 other provinces of Southern Thailand, Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani, it may not be advisable for tourists to visit given the attendant risks involved. However as far as Hat Yai is concerned, the situation on the ground is safe and one need be paranoid about security concerns. It is even safe to walk along the streets there at 2 in the morning!

Have a great holiday!

From the security angle, from personal experience, the Hatyai and Songkhla municipality areas are pretty safe for visitors. Since the last terrorist incident a couple of years ago when a small explosive device went off in the dustbin in front of Carrefour, there have been no reported incidents endangering public safety.

This cannot be said for areas outside Hatyai particularly those bordering Yala province generally to the south east of Hat Yai where the majority of Thais are Muslim. The major roads leading from the Malaysian border as well as those heading out northwards to Phuket and Surat Thani and beyond (Hwy 4 and 43) are free of terrorist activity and this is a general indication of the security situation in Hatyai.

However in the 3 other provinces of Southern Thailand, Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani, it may not be advisable for tourists to visit given the attendant risks involved. However as far as Hat Yai is concerned, the situation on the ground is safe and one need be paranoid about security concerns. It is even safe to walk along the streets there at 2 in the morning!

Have a great holiday!

Thanks so much for your views. I'm visiting in November and, yes, things can change, but this helps anyway. :o

I'm looking forward to Songkla and Hatyai. Never been there. Looking for a bit of a quiet break from the north where I'll start my vacation travelling.