Some 30,000 tourists expected to join Full Moon Party on Koh Pha Ngan

Lite Beer

Some 30,000 tourists, mostly foreign nationals, are expected to join the famous Full Moon Party on Koh Pha Ngan Sunday night, Koh Pha Ngan district chief Thaweesak Inprom said.

He said some 25,000 rooms of resorts and hotels on the island have already been booked. The party will be held on Haad Rin Beach.

The district chief expected the party would generate some Bt30 million of income on the island.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Some-30000-tourists-expected-to-join-Full-Moon-Par-30251154.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-04

What's new? Did it take the Nation and ThaiVisa decades to realize that?

Since at least 15 years we expect around 30'000 people to attend the full

moon party. Sometimes more, sometimes a bit less.

Tomorrow those news people will realize, it happen every month at least

once, sometimes even twice.

• Like 1

As I said, nothing new with the expected 30'000 tourists for the full moon party, that's since

years petty much the same, a little bit up, a little bit down, depends on the season but the

estimated 30 Million baht income for the economy astonishes me a bit.

Looking at the TAT figures from 2 years ago, the average spending per tourist per day

was around 4'200 THB. Now Koh Phangan is still mainly a backpacker island, but during

the 3 days of the average party tourist on the island, that might probably be considerate

higher. So lets assume, a good average for party people would be around 6'500THB for

the three days

(3 days accommodation <high season> around 2400 THB, food 900 THB, motorbike 450 THB, transport

to and from party 500 THB, entry to party 100 THB, Alcohol 1200 THB, Ferry to and from the island 1000 THB)

As there are already at least 25'000 rooms booked for this full moon party and 30'000 are

expected, that would more likely generate around 160 to 200 million THB. So I wonder ......

If there is only 30 million baht flowing in to the local economy in who's pockets are the

other 130 Million baht flowing?

Ah yes......good question and these parties benefit who.....not the Thai economy to that extent......

As I said, nothing new with the expected 30'000 tourists for the full moon party, that's since

years petty much the same, a little bit up, a little bit down, depends on the season but the

estimated 30 Million baht income for the economy astonishes me a bit.

Looking at the TAT figures from 2 years ago, the average spending per tourist per day

was around 4'200 THB. Now Koh Phangan is still mainly a backpacker island, but during

the 3 days of the average party tourist on the island, that might probably be considerate

higher. So lets assume, a good average for party people would be around 6'500THB for

the three days

(3 days accommodation <high season> around 2400 THB, food 900 THB, motorbike 450 THB, transport

to and from party 500 THB, entry to party 100 THB, Alcohol 1200 THB, Ferry to and from the island 1000 THB)

As there are already at least 25'000 rooms booked for this full moon party and 30'000 are

expected, that would more likely generate around 160 to 200 million THB. So I wonder ......

If there is only 30 million baht flowing in to the local economy in who's pockets are the

other 130 Million baht flowing?

Yeah that's the first thing I did was some basic math, such as 30 million baht/ 30 thousand tourists = they expect to get a whopping 1,000 baht per tourist???

• Like 1

With so many places to stay on West and North side of KP where prices don't vary with the seasons.... people do not need to pay the Haad Rin, Ban Tai prices or book a minimum stay...

Taxi services are set up to get to and from the party (s)...are usually posted at front desk.... 400 or 450 baht if memory serves... But these places may not be suitable for "hard core" types...whistling.gif

With so many places to stay on West and North side of KP where prices don't vary with the seasons.... people do not need to pay the Haad Rin, Ban Tai prices or book a minimum stay...

Taxi services are set up to get to and from the party (s)...are usually posted at front desk.... 400 or 450 baht if memory serves... But these places may not be suitable for "hard core" types...whistling.gif

Jimmy, there are definitely not many resorts in the north or the west of Koh Phangan

who do not have seasonal prices. Those resorts where the prices don't vary with the

season, those are the ones who vary depending your nose all year round wink.png

Edited by JoeLing

Jimmy, there are definitely not many resorts in the north or the west of Koh Phangan

who do not have seasonal prices. Those resorts where the prices don't vary with the

Not wanting to get into a debate here, Joe,

But I could name a few, Mae Haad area, comes to mind, for sure, I sometimes stay there several times a year... always same same, even same same it was 9 years ago, when I first stayed in the area! wink.pngw00t.gif

Even some in See Thanu areas (probably spelt that wrong!) .... but my nose is pretty good at finding these places, without a lot of trouble wink.png tongue.png

• Like 2

Not wanting to get into a debate here, Joe,

But I could name a few, Mae Haad area, comes to mind, for sure, I sometimes stay there several times a year... always same same, even same same it was 9 years ago, when I first stayed in the area! wink.pngw00t.gif

Even some in See Thanu areas (probably spelt that wrong!) .... but my nose is pretty good at finding these places, without a lot of trouble wink.png tongue.png

I still have all year round low season price in Haad Yao - well, depends on your nose giggle.gifwai.gif

Otherwise, I had to adapt to the resorts around me, as I don't want to have problems with

the BIG locals wink.png

• Like 1