Fears Of Kidnapping Force Tot To Change Chat Lines

george

Fears of kidnapping force TOT to change chat lines

BANGKOK: -- Callers to 1900 telephone chat lines will no longer be connected with strangers under a new policy to reduce the possibility of kidnapping.

Callers will instead be connected with employees of TOT Plc, which operates the lines.

The move came in response to complaints from parents of about 10 teenage girls who went missing for short periods.

Teenagers have called lines such as "Chat Super Gik" to set up dates. But at least 10 girls did not return home immediately and it was later discovered they had called the chat lines prior to their disappearance.

Representatives from TOT, the Information and Communication Technology Ministry (ICT) and the Mirror Foundation, a non-government group that tries to locate missing persons, met last week to consider solutions to the problems posed by the chat lines.

The foundation had previously urged the National Telecommunications Commission and the Culture Ministry to regulate the chat lines after numerous girls went missing. Police found they had made lengthy telephone calls to the 1900 chat lines before disappearing.

As a result of the meeting, TOT agreed to start connecting callers to people employed by TOT instead of to anonymous strangers.

--The Nation 2006-08-14

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsored link:

Thailand's most popular live chat:

Safe chat - Registration and email verification needed

http://members.bangkokchat.org

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what happened to the girls!!!!???????????????????

BANGKOK: -- Callers to 1900 telephone chat lines will no longer be connected with strangers under a new policy to reduce the possibility of kidnapping.

Callers will instead be connected with employees of TOT Plc, which operates the lines.

The move came in response to complaints from parents of about 10 teenage girls who went missing for short periods.

Teenagers have called lines such as "Chat Super Gik" to set up dates. But at least 10 girls did not return home immediately and it was later discovered they had called the chat lines prior to their disappearance.

Representatives from TOT, the Information and Communication Technology Ministry (ICT) and the Mirror Foundation, a non-government group that tries to locate missing persons, met last week to consider solutions to the problems posed by the chat lines.

The foundation had previously urged the National Telecommunications Commission and the Culture Ministry to regulate the chat lines after numerous girls went missing. Police found they had made lengthy telephone calls to the 1900 chat lines before disappearing.

As a result of the meeting, TOT agreed to start connecting callers to people employed by TOT instead of to anonymous strangers.

--The Nation 2006-08-14

Sponsored link:

Thailand's most popular live chat:

Safe chat - Registration and email verification needed

http://members.bangkokchat.org

snip

snip

What happened to the girls ??!! Presumably NOTHING - as NOTHING was reported ?!

And chat lines like "Chat Super Gik" - who started this up anyway ? And why were they allowed to ? Didn't anyone THINK FIRST that this could be a problem ?

And passing the ball to TOT - isn't that great ???!!! TIT

MalcolmL

snip

snip

What happened to the girls ??!! Presumably NOTHING - as NOTHING was reported ?!

And chat lines like "Chat Super Gik" - who started this up anyway ? And why were they allowed to ? Didn't anyone THINK FIRST that this could be a problem ?

And passing the ball to TOT - isn't that great ???!!! TIT

MalcolmL

Wouldn't have thought it was uncommon for teenage girls to go missing for "short periods"

It doesn't sound weird at all that these girls are missing for a short period. It is a chat line to find dates or "giks". Maybe they just went away for a short sexual vacation since I'm guessing that is probably the goal of many of the callers to this type of chat line.

Also, if the callers are going to be connected to TOT employees, does that mean that TOT is going to have to meet up with these teenage girls now to satisfy them? Just wondering, it sort of confused me why to switch to TOT employees instead of just shutting the chat line down.

Another day, another giggle.

I love LOS, everyday is April fools day :o

April-fools day is an understatement - I don't think there are suficient words in the English language to describe the sheer stupidity of the thinking behind some of the decisions made in LOS.

"it sort of confused me why to switch to TOT employees instead of just shutting the chat line down."

Why miss out on all that revenue - thats why the chat line was set up originally

Edited by Artisi

So it seems the TOT employees will get more dates, with teenage girls.

That should please some TOT tech weenies! :D

And sooner or later, a young Thai girl will go missing for "a short time"

with a TOT employee... I guess not a big problem,

since tort lawyers are not well known here,

except as governmewnt lawyers sueing the press,

for telling verities. :D

Of course all TOT customers will now be paying

for TOT employees to chat with teenage girls.

This logic boggles the mind. :o

What about allowing parents to lock their phone lines against 1900 chat line access.

Or is that too much computer programing effort,

or just plain beyond the logic of the powers that be at TOT.

The way Thais are with telephones, with not being able to even ride a motorcycle without having a phone stuck to their ear, I suggest they shut down the chat room and ..........

MAKE this UNUSED capacity FOR ADLS

Maybe that will ease up a lot of the problems on the ADS end [all over Thailand}

:o:D My Humble opinion is it will only make a little more work for the overwork employees at TOT. Mom, Dad, Guardian or who ever should be making the kids aware of the downside of the Chat Rooms; "ENOUGH SAID" Edited by BigSnake

I don't know if I am out of line here but, isn't any move4 to protect the children in Thailand a good move?

I agree and lets face it and have you ever found a chat lines that was worse having.

Most of them are full of idiots and small talk.

It doesn't sound weird at all that these girls are missing for a short period. It is a chat line to find dates or "giks". Maybe they just went away for a short sexual vacation since I'm guessing that is probably the goal of many of the callers to this type of chat line.

Also, if the callers are going to be connected to TOT employees, does that mean that TOT is going to have to meet up with these teenage girls now to satisfy them? Just wondering, it sort of confused me why to switch to TOT employees instead of just shutting the chat line down.

TOT likely rented the serevice out and canceling will costs them money so if any of these girls want to talk to someone they know they maybe get connected... Its a stupid idea anyway: sex chatline for sex appointments....

The way Thais are with telephones, with not being able to even ride a motorcycle without having a phone stuck to their ear, I suggest they shut down the chat room and ..........

MAKE this UNUSED capacity FOR ADLS

Maybe that will ease up a lot of the problems on the ADS end [all over Thailand}

Prey tell what ADLS is, I have googled it and can only find the following :--

ADLS (ADVANCED LIFE SCIENCES HOLDINGS, INC. )

The Association of Dunkirk Little Ships

Auckland District Law Society

I cannot figure out what this has to do with Thai Telecomunnications and chat lines.

:o

Edited by married2surin

I don't know if I am out of line here but, isn't any move4 to protect the children in Thailand a good move?

No you aren't out of line, but the protection of children IS of paramount importance and the protection should come from the parents or guardians of the children. Shutting down internet sites and chat lines is plain stupid.

They, the parents, should be aware of what their children are watching or reading on the internet. I am no fan of the "Nanny society", such as they have in Great Britain, where no-one takes responsibilty for anything, so the government passes useless legislation which has a negative effect on society.

The same principal applies to people with suicidal tendencies. If a person is really determined to kill themselves, there is really very little that a society can do about it except to make access to counselling for troubled people easier to begin with.

A tragic incident, not accident, occurred the other day at the Asoke sky train station where a troubled young man decided to end it all by flinging himself into the path of a moving train. Now people are suggesting putting up barriers along the platforms to prevent such incidents.

That's a total waste of time and a massive waste of money.

London's Underground has functioned for over 140 years and there are no barriers between passengers and trains.

Bottom lines a) Parents should take responsibility for their children

:D People will find ways to kill themselves regardless of measures to protect them. :o

I agree and lets face it and have you ever found a chat lines that was worse having.

Never been on a chat line myself, but can't imagine what small talk you could make with these people, who're going to be TOT employees now... "oh it's raining here, now it's hot, now there are ants everywhere... find you can't get decent milk either?"

The whole point of chatlines is to talk to strangers, but I think it's a bit funny how they've reacted! The whole net, "don't talk to strangers and give out personal details, etc" is sort of given now in the UK and USA.

Nearby, I've seen loads of school girls huddled round payphones, so maybe that's the only explantation I can give to them having access to these phones. I feel sorry for them really, bless their hearts. Talking to the man of their dreams on the other end... Who is a TOT call centre operative, lol

Would personally prefer it to go on decent ADSL lines in Thailand. Have never had so much bother getting a line in because am in a Southern Province. I asked my landlord to get ADSL (I said internet, and speak reasonable Thai, and even had a local interpreter), and they got me frigging UBC. UBC

But protection of kids comes from a responsible society, and parents, etc. I just don't think people are educated enough about the dangers, and let their kids run around on these bensin bikes, and do whatever they like. I actually saw a muslim mother, texting, with her baby in her arms, and a kid on the back, going stupid speeds down an alley. Thai people actually say to me it's OK to drive drunk on one of these things!

It's all about the money though!

Edited by pukkagent

Never been on a chat line myself, but can't imagine what small talk you could make with these people, who're going to be TOT employees now... "oh it's raining here, now it's hot, now there are ants everywhere... find you can't get decent milk either?"

The whole point of chatlines is to talk to strangers, but I think it's a bit funny how they've reacted! The whole net, "don't talk to strangers and give out personal details, etc" is sort of given now in the UK and USA.

Nearby, I've seen loads of school girls huddled round payphones, so maybe that's the only explantation I can give to them having access to these phones. I feel sorry for them really, bless their hearts. Talking to the man of their dreams on the other end... Who is a TOT call centre operative, lol

Would personally prefer it to go on decent ADSL lines in Thailand. Have never had so much bother getting a line in because am in a Southern Province. I asked my landlord to get ADSL (I said internet, and speak reasonable Thai, and even had a local interpreter), and they got me frigging UBC. UBC