French man found dead in Koh Tao – incident being treated as suicide not homicide

webfact

French man found dead in Koh Tao – incident being treated as suicide not homicide

KOH SAMUI: -- The death of a 29 year old French Man found hanging from the balcony of his bungalow on January 1st is being treated as a suicide, not as a murder, despite social media speculation around the death.

The man was found at around 3pm on New Year’s day hanging by black string around the neck wearing traditional Thai Fisherman’s pants, black string was also bound around his hands, a fact that has caused much speculation on social media sites that foul play was involved. However, the police found a suicide note that read “iris I love you, suicide seems easy but it is actually very difficult”.

Witnesses said that the man, who is believed to be named Dimitri, was drinking at a bar on New Year’s eve until around 5am, he then moved on to the Experience Party where he stayed until 11am. His friends then returned to their guesthouse, leaving the man to drink alone. It is believe he committed suicide at around 1pm.

Police and physicians carried out an autopsy and believe the cause of death was asphyxiation, the case is being treated as a suicide and not as a homicide. The man’s body has been taken to Koh Tao temple.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-01-05

• Like 1

Police and physicians carried out an autopsy and believe the cause of death was asphyxiation, the case is being treated as a suicide and not as a homicide. The man’s body has been taken to Koh Tao temple.

Why would they return the mans body to KT?

I would assume they did not perform the autopsy on the island.

• Like 2

How does one tie string around their hands behind their back?

You tie your hands round your front and then step through them - after 12 hours of drinking it's simple.

Depends a bit how fat the guy is and how flexible. I know it would be quite a trick for me to do even sober. I am not that flexible but i would manage if i was determined. Though this would not be my way to kill myself. Carbon mono oxide would be my way to go.

• Like 1

http://www.academia.edu/903627/Precautions_Taken_to_Avoid_Abandoning_the_Act_of_Hanging_and_Reducing_Pain_in_Suicidal_Hanging_Cases

This is quite interesting, it seems that people do elect to tie their hands before this method of suicide, bit graphic this link so if you don't want to look at dead bodies best not use it.

NO NOOOO this cant be.. Thaivisa detectives say its impossible.

• Like 1

An interesting link and if one views the ''discussion passages take a slow read of the section 4-6 concerning how it is possible to actually hang someone if they are rendered incapable through drink or drugs, there were it seems some puncture wound marks on the deceased.

Yet again we have reason for doubt the rapid decision of a suicide verdict, the return of the body to Koh Tao also seems a trifle odd as well as hasty, no effort to locate next of kin by the police contacting the French Embassy one asks?

Cremation of course leaves no clues does it?

Being able to kill another adult by homicidal hanging requires force and intervention. However, if a person is in a confused state because of mental illness, under the effect of medication or alcohol, or if the victim is a child, then it is possible to ascribe suicidal appearances to a homicidal hanging case.
In adult victims, more than 1 perpetrator could perform a homicidal hanging but this would most likely result in a violent strugggle. Thus, in such circumstances a medical examiner would expect to find severe traumatic lesions on the victim’s body.
Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

So, after a heavy night ( and a good part of the day) drinking, a person writes a suicide note using complete sentences, stands on a ledge, slips his head into a noose, ties his hands tightly together, and then kills himself.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. My B.S. meter just exploded.

Witnesses said that the man, who is believed to be named Dimitri, was drinking at a bar on New Year’s eve until around 5am, he then moved on to the Experience Party where he stayed until 11am.
  • Like 2

How does one tie string around their hands behind their back?

You tie your hands round your front and then step through them - after 12 hours of drinking it's simple.

How did he get the rope around his neck with his hands tied behind his back? Give that a try and get back to me.

Put the rope around your neck first, tied you hand in front of you then step through them...and jump!

Oudini did that every days whistling.gifPffff