30 day border run and warning for Mae Sae

Dancinge

Hi new here but have scoured the by region and many thread postings under here and can't find. Warning *** Thai border immigration has really cracked down recently (2015) on border visa runs. I am American and got 30 day visa on arrival at bkk then did 1 mo extension through Chiang Mai immigration. My visa expired yesterday on the 4th and I bused up to Mae Sae to try and do border run but Thai immigration wouldn't let me even go in or my Spanish friend cross and I have zero other stamps in and out of Thailand.

I am currently in Chiang Rai and a Moto scooter I am renting for 180 baht is waiting for me bCk in Chiang Mai so I can get back to Pai for a 3 week qi gong course that starts today in Pai. What is fastest and cheapest way for me to get a new 30 day visa for Thailand or even just 3 weeks if possible? Since Burma doesn't seem to be a good option anymore, I was thinking of busing to Chang kong in Laos, trying to get visa at border and if that doesn't work then going to vietvienne or Luang Prabang to embassy and flying back to Chiang Mai for new 30 day visa on arrival. Will this work?as u can see I'm trying for something that is quickest option so I can miss as little as possible of this course that has started.

Thank you in advance!,

Be prepared to be warned about your double-posting on the forum.

I've already responded to your other post, but to make sure you receive a clear answer ...

Chiang Khong crossing into Laos and back shouldn't be a problem.

Mae Sai is a special/unique crossing so it's no wonder you may have had an issue there.

Also, please be careful when talking about Visas and Visa Exempt Stamps (not called a Visa-on-Arrival ... only special Countries get those)

If you have issues returning into Thailand via the Visa Exempt Stamp process, then Vientiane would be your next destination to acquire an actual Tourist Visa for Thailand.

Be prepared to be warned about your double-posting on the forum.

I've already responded to your other post, but to make sure you receive a clear answer ...

Chiang Khong crossing into Laos and back shouldn't be a problem.

Mae Sai is a special/unique crossing so it's no wonder you may have had an issue there.

Also, please be careful when talking about Visas and Visa Exempt Stamps (not called a Visa-on-Arrival ... only special Countries get those)

If you have issues returning into Thailand via the Visa Exempt Stamp process, then Vientiane would be your next destination to acquire an actual Tourist Visa for Thailand.

Correct.

The issue with Mae Sai is the OP didn't possess a Myanmar visa meaning that Myanmar will restrict him to either the border area or the corridor up to Kengtung and Mong La and leaving the country again the same way (some reports now suggest a visa is required to even leave Tachilek), so as far as Thai immigration were concerned, he'd be crossing back to Thailand for the purposes of extending his stay on a visa-free stay, which is against the purposes of the tourist visa exemption scheme.

Crossing into Laos and coming back is different since there is no need to come back to Thailand after leaving for Laos as Laos doesn't have any travel restrictions and also, unlike Myanmar there is only one type of entry permit - if you need a visa you'll need to get one either before departure or at the border, even if you only intend to stay for an hour. There is no "dual system" like in Myanmar.

But in the OP's case, I would strongly recommend spending a couple of nights in Laos before returning, mainly to avoid him being scrutinized as a visa runner. Otherwise, getting a Thai visa in Vientiane would be best.