Friends of John Devenport (Little John)

Chainsaw

We talked about this at GOMS meeting last night as little John was a long standing member & we were wondering when Tony was going to arrive. I understand Little John's wish was to have his ashes scattered at Leam Promthep.

That's correct. It's just a matter of when, which Tony will organise with Laem Promthep Wat when he arrives. As soon as I know anything definite I will PM you.

I've been told that the ceremony will be a fairly private affair on a boat with just a few people.

Sorry if I misled folks but I assumed it would be at Laem Promthep Wat.

What I can confirm is that the wake for John will be held at Gig's Jam Club on Saturday the 17th from about 8 pm onwards. Lets make it a celebration of a life lived to the full.

Live Band.

A wake at his old go kart track would have been more fitting.

He loved cars and racing.

He also loved music.

<deleted>.

I'd love to pay my respects to John but the music there isn't my thing.

Hope it's a good turn out.

I don't understand your comment about profit. No-one profits from the death of a friend!

The resident Thai band 'Cold Chilli' will be playing on the night. I will probably sing a couple of John's favourite songs as requested by his son. No charge!!

The rest of the night I will be celebrating the passing of a unique individual who lived life to the full and who I was lucky enough to have as a friend.

What will you be doing?

Little John would be seen in most pubs he would do his crawl and have his customary coke a chat and move on he would be seen in many places I would say that Phuket especially Rawai Chalong & Nai Harn was his local. I remember him well classed him as a friend even came second in one of the Phuket Car Rally's he organised. A lovely mild mannered gent who had time for everybody. I for one will try and get along to Gigs to pay my respects

• Like 1

"Celebrate the one of the kindest men that Phuket has seen."

Nice HG I'll second that. NKM, why even pipe in if you didn't know the guy, are you that bored?

I wouldn't say bored, I would say recovering from Saturday night self inflicted wounds.

The allegation was made, I simply stated I would see it as a pertinent question to ask, probably along with many others that will be there.

Anyway, the thread shouldn't be about who profits from holding a wake.

I'm sure if there are is any ulterior motive for holding the wake at this venue, it will be revealed at a later time.

Are you particularly grumpy today, GOM?

Edited by NamKangMan

Nice HG I'll second that. NKM, why even pipe in if you didn't know the guy, are you that bored?

I wouldn't say bored, I would say recovering from Saturday night self inflicted wounds.

The allegation was made, I simply stated I would see it as a pertinent question to ask, probably along with many others that will be there.

I'm sure if there are is any ulterior motive for holding the wake at this venue, it will be revealed at a later time.

Not at all. I find it in extreme poor taste that you would insinuate Chainsaw (who I know personally, never met you NKM), or anyone at Gig's (who I also know), would think to try and profit off of Lil John's (another person I knew IN PERSON NOT SOME INTERNET CRACKPOT POSTER) off of this event.

Not grumpy just think you need to leave this one alone. Thx, GOM

Edited by LivinginKata
flame removed
  • Like 2

Not at all. I find it in extreme poor taste that you would insinuate Chainsaw (who I know personally, never met you NKM), or anyone at Gig's (who I also know), would think to try and profit off of Lil John's (another person I knew IN PERSON NOT SOME INTERNET CRACKPOT POSTER) off of this event.

Not grumpy just think you need to leave this one alone. Thx, GOM

The allegation was made by another member, not myself.

If there is some substance to the allegation, I would think not only the member making the allegation, but many others as well, would be asking the same question.

Unlike yourself, I do not know the members who have posted on this thread, and that's by choice, so, I would consider myself to be subjective.

No need to make it personal GOM. I'm happy to accept your personal attacks, if you can take them back, as it's usually entertaining, but this is not the thread for it.

The member who made the allegation requested the thread not go in this direction, so how about we leave it at that?

NKM you 2nd'd the allegation, "pertinent question"I think was the wording. Knowing all involved on a pesonal level, the allegation is insulting. It's weak keyboard warrior nonsense.

"Knowing all involved on a pesonal level, the allegation is insulting." - or, knowing all involved, you are blind to the obvious.

We can keep banging on about it, if you like, but the member making the allegation has requested the thread not go in that direction.

No bother to me, either way.

NKM you 2nd'd the allegation, "pertinent question"I think was the wording. Knowing all involved on a pesonal level, the allegation is insulting. It's weak keyboard warrior nonsense.

The timing was bad and I apologised but I still think the wake should have been at his beloved go kart track. Most knew him from there and it's something he built and enjoyed. The go kart track is synonymous with John and always will be.

That's just my personal opinion and everyone has one whether you agree with it or not.

As a friend, I wouldn't want to profit from John's passing but I guess others don't have the same morals.

Lets leave it at that.

Just want to make it very clear that Gig's Jam Club is not MY establishment.

I've been accused of profiting from a friends death by HG and I should be allowed to respond.

It really is a nasty insinuation to make.

Unless he's just trolling?

Edited by LivinginKata
  • Like 1

I'm sure John wouldn't be impressed by the way this thread has developed.

JD was known and considered a regular in loads of bars, not just in Rawai and Chalong but also in Kata and Karon, maybe even Patong and Kathu, given the proximity to the go-kart track. I don't think the Little John pub crawl would quite have been suitable so somewhere has to be chosen so please guys let's leave it at that.

• Like 2

I don't even know why I stumbled onto this thread, but as someone who recently organized a "memorial" for a friend (a ladies' version of a wake) I can understand with second guessing about "why isn't the memorial being held at XYZ -- that was her favorite restaurant". Yes, it was and I tried to work with the owners of the place, but they wanted to limit attendance to 30 people (she had W-A-Y more friends than that), they wanted to stage the event on a day/time that I knew wasn't going to be convenient for most and I was going to have to arrange transportation for many of her friends, too.

So, in the end it was just simpler to arrange the memorial at another place, which did a fantastic job, incidentally and suggest that if people wanted to go in small groups to "her favorite restaurant" on their own they do so, rather than expecting me to arrange an event for 70 people in a place that wasn't suitable.

I suspect there were thoughts that I took "the easy way out" because the venue I selected is one I've used for other events and I know the management very well. But, again, no one had any quibbles with the set-up, the food, and the little touches like serving her favorite Chang beer in champagne flutes for our toast (the restaurant manager dreamed up that idea on his own and everyone said she would have loved it)

Edited by NancyL

A flame post removed. Stop the bickering or the topic will get closed. Thank you.

A lot more than just one post needed removed. I have removed a good number.

I find it very disappointing that a few of our Phuket members could turn this somber thread into a bickering flame fest. It will cease now or suspension will be handed out.

• Like 1

Ok, apologies done, water under the bridge gentlemen...I didn't at all know Little John, RIP, but just to turn this thread back to honoring your friend, who by all accounts here seemed a great gent, why don't one of you share an amusing anecdote or something nice he did for you or someone else? (I'd also be curious to know which go-kart track he started?)

Ok, apologies done, water under the bridge gentlemen...I didn't at all know Little John, RIP, but just to turn this thread back to honoring your friend, who by all accounts here seemed a great gent, why don't one of you share an amusing anecdote or something nice he did for you or someone else? (I'd also be curious to know which go-kart track he started?)

Why don't you come to the wake? You would be welcome.

His ex-partner (Go-Karts) will be there and I can guarantee there will be plenty of anecdotes from the people who knew him.

Edited by Chainsaw
  • Like 1

Why don't you come to the wake? You would be welcome.

His ex-partner (Go-Karts) will be there and I can guarantee there will be plenty of anecdotes from the people who knew him.

Thx for the kind invite Chainsaw, though frankly and with all due respect to one who has passed, it would have to be a family member or a very very close friend to get me at a wake/funeral/celebration of life. Of course I reckon few people are actually super comfortable at such affairs, but for a guy who's been an adrenaline junky for over 40 years, truth be told they make me feel kind of guilty/ashamed in a weird way, if that makes sense, so I try to avoid them and anything that reminds me too strongly of that greedy dude called the Grim Reaper.

SAD NEWS FOR SURE...

I did not know him personaly but since a couple years ago when I was teamed up in the race ralley after that we always had a wave or a hand shake for each other in passing mostly at The Corner Bar or The White Heart

RIP mate cheers....