Rural land value, Chaiyaphum ?

cornishcarlos

Does anybody know a rough estimate per rai for rural land, 100km Northwest of Chaiyaphum town, 40km North of highway 225.

My wife has a 32 rai plot there with a small house and big pond. At present it is rented out to a manyok grower. Waiting for the area to be upgraded to either NS3 or Chanote titles.

Just looking for a ball park figure as we have no idea. We live in the south so can't even make an educated guess :)

post-85853-14204666041772_thumb.jpg

post-85853-14204666164127_thumb.jpg

post-85853-14204666291899_thumb.jpg

It is a stunning piece of land but 1000km away from where we live now, so if it is worth selling then we might be tempted.

No idea what to price it at though to attract potential buyers. Go too high and no interest, too low and lose out !

Maybe worth hanging on to for future use but interested to know what it's worth now.

It's a dilemma really. On one hand, it's a lovely plot and if we were going to think about moving north then I would love to live on it.

However, more commitments in the south and we could develop another plot we have with the money from a sale.

Between 2 & 3 mil would be a good price I think but without taking a trip up there and seeing what price similar plots are getting, I'm still in the dark ?

Sadly the land is way out in the sticks.

A friend of mine has 18 rai on offer at 200 thousand a rai 15 kilos outside Khon Kaen.

I think you are being optimistic thinking 2 - 3 million.

It sure is out there... Which is a bonus for me if I was going to build a house and live there.

I'm not really being optimistic as I still have no clue as to the actual value, which is why I am asking on here. Of course there are loads of factors that affect the price but just a rough estimate is all I'm looking for. 50k per rai, 75k, 100k I suppose a road trip is in order to find out for sure ?

Seems that westerners are only interested in chanote, whereas Thai will generally buy with any land title if it's good land.

I can see why, as farang we have no legal rights so consider chanote to be the only safe I investment ( I know we never technically own it). But Thais feel safe buying with just a written letter from the village headman as proof of ownership :) What a life....

• Like 1

I have a very similar plot of land the same size about 80km west of Chayapoum/

We bought it 6 years ago for 230k but spent about another 70k clearing parts of it.

Now it is worth 1.5 million tops. ie as issangeorge says 50k/rai

For that you may have to wait for up to a year to sell it. For a quicker sale 35k/rai

You could probably rent it out for 2k/year/rai but only for the cleared parts that can be used for crops.

You forgot to mention if it had sealed road access.

It is worth a lot less without.

Anyone who has every driven in some of the remoter parts in the rainy season know what I mean.

Nice looking plot and views but I would never want to be anymore than 20 kilometres from a major hospital.

If you have a medical emergency in places like that there is less chance of survival than outback Australia where at

the excellent Royal Flying Doctor service gives you a good chance of survival.

Does your wife have any family or friends around there, they should have some idea and can check at the local land office.

Prices have gone up a lot in this area as there is much more economic activity and more local crops grown.

Another option is to review the lease or get a crop sharing agreement with someone who farms it for you, but you would need some local support or go there now and than to see if it works out.

My Thai wife would not in any way buy w/o a chanote and proper road access… a story that a chanote is imminent, is not a chanote… Chaiyaphum is pretty remote in general, but i have seen land in my area, out of the way, sell for very little w/o a chanote… one friend bought 20 rai incredibly inexpensive - and then 2 months later, the real owner showed up… it is a lovely piece of land but the price/demand may depend on what sort of return can be expected on the investment… usually, if there is any value to it, the locals, the neighbors will know… looks like a nice place to spend a few days vacation, go and check it out…

If I'm the buyer, I will never pay more than 50K per rai without proper documentation(chanote). In central Thailand the prices float between 30K and 60K per rai without chanote. Try to use the land to plant some cash crop, you have water it is a plus (use ram pump for irrigation if no eletricity in the place). Nice property!

I don't think she would sell it for less that 75k per rai, it's worth more to us as a retirement plot. Small house is adequate for long weekends so rather just hang on to it.

For now, a local farmer is getting a good rental price and planting his crops. He's happy and we will use it later in life :)

We are roughly 140 km south of you in the Sikhio District. Our land is directly across from Panorama Golf Course. We just bought this land in April and got what I think was a great deal on the land (60,000 / rai). After we bought the land 5 other land owners put their land up for sale....however at much higher prices....150,000 / rai....330,000 / rai.....350,000 / rai.....750,000 / rai. None of these lands have electric or water (either does ours) None of them have the "right" papers either (sorry can't remember the proper name for the papers).

You can EASILY get 2.5 M for your land and I would dare to guess that you will get much more than that. I would set the price at 150,000 / rai if you really want to sell it and 300,000 rai if you aren't in a hurry. Your land is also quite valuable because of the location to the mountains (same as ours).

Hope any of this is helpful. Feel free to PM me if you need more info.

We are roughly 140 km south of you in the Sikhio District. Our land is directly across from Panorama Golf Course. We just bought this land in April and got what I think was a great deal on the land (60,000 / rai). After we bought the land 5 other land owners put their land up for sale....however at much higher prices....150,000 / rai....330,000 / rai.....350,000 / rai.....750,000 / rai. None of these lands have electric or water (either does ours) None of them have the "right" papers either (sorry can't remember the proper name for the papers).

You can EASILY get 2.5 M for your land and I would dare to guess that you will get much more than that. I would set the price at 150,000 / rai if you really want to sell it and 300,000 rai if you aren't in a hurry. Your land is also quite valuable because of the location to the mountains (same as ours).

Hope any of this is helpful. Feel free to PM me if you need more info.

This is the problem here, people seem to just pick a figure out their head and that's it.

Sure some do sell but a lot just advertise for ever !

I would be very surprised if we could get150k a rai, 100k would be amazing but who knows...

Any takers yet :)

Edited by cornishcarlos

Electric and a sealed road will greatly change the value of any land out in the boondocks. 100k for one rai of rice paddy is not uncommon here out in the sticks in Udon WITHOUT Chanote if it HAS that electric and sealed road running past it. Without the sealed road / electric, 50k. Your land looks like a nice plot, 50k is too cheap, 80-100 sounds about right.

I know the area you are talking about but i don't know it's value but i was

sitting and talking with some local people and the conversation was about

land and land values, there is a firm belief that when Bangkok becomes

flooded (and it will) people and industry will be moving north so if you

can't sell in the near future consider what i heard because land values

will just go up in the future.

I know the area you are talking about but i don't know it's value but i was

sitting and talking with some local people and the conversation was about

land and land values, there is a firm belief that when Bangkok becomes

flooded (and it will) people and industry will be moving north so if you

can't sell in the near future consider what i heard because land values

will just go up in the future.

I have heard that story so many times and it still makes me smile.

As if Bangkok people would want to live in the arid backwoods of Issan.

Plenty of high ground a lot closer to BKK.

Edited by Jay Sata