Good Places To Buy Clothing ?

footfall

Given the need to change clothes - especially shirts - so frequently here, I need to expand my wardrobe.

I have seen plenty of clothes for sale in the supermarkets, malls and more touristed areas, of course, but doubt that is where the locals shop for clothing.

Would love to find a market or shopping area where I could find a good range of reasonably-priced, decent quality every day wear (comfortable, casual but stylish :o cotton tops and T-shirts, loose casual pants etc. ). A place where I could do one big shop and then move on to more interesting things ...

Not keen on clothing with slogans or "designer" labels. Love the Thai styles and fabrics.

Any suggestions ?

Edited by footfall

Given the need to change clothes - especially shirts - so frequently here, I need to expand my wardrobe.

I have seen plenty of clothes for sale in the supermarkets, malls and more touristed areas, of course, but doubt that is where the locals shop for clothing.

Would love to find a market or shopping area where I could find a good range of reasonably-priced, decent quality every day wear (comfortable, casual but stylish :o cotton tops and T-shirts, loose casual pants etc. ). A place where I could do one big shop and then move on to more interesting things ...

Not keen on clothing with slogans or "designer" labels. Love the Thai styles and fabrics.

Any suggestions ?

Warorot Market offers the best range and prices. Some rural markets are a little bit cheaper but they don't have such a large selection as Warorot Market (Talad Warorot in Thai or Kad Luang in the local dialect).

Another possibility is to buy material (starting from 50 baths a meter. Close to Warorot, on Chiang Moi rd, there are a few indian shops) and bring it to a taylor. Mine charges 200/250 bahts for a pair of trousers.

Hope this helps.

That's excellent - thanks very much, adjan jb .

Now, here's another clothing-related question which should permit you all a good laugh at the newbie's ignorance :D . I bought a pair of men's pyjama pants in one of the big stores. They have very wide legs and a very, very big waist, but without visible means of support :D . I have seen people wearing such pants and they look cool and comfortable. I just can't figure out how :o to secure the waist. Am I supposed to alter them, add something, tie them in a knot or .... ?

Thanks for your help !

Edited by footfall

not sure but it sounds like you have a pair of 'fisherman' pants.

there should be a string that you can tie to secure them. put the string in the back, wrap the pants around to make a comfy waist fit and then tie the string in front to secure. if no string, go back and get a pair with a string.

flop the loose material over the top of the now tied string, and as the french say, et voila. don't worry about the length. they will be short. unless you're thai.

Thanks for that, altman.

Thought there was something fishy :o .There's no string, no hole for a string and nowhere a string could pass through at the waist seam. So I guess an outer string will have to do.

Do fishermen wear silk pants with matching tops ? Groovy :D .

The short leg length is practical, really, if you have to wade around the place.

There's no string, no hole for a string and nowhere a string could pass through at the waist seam. So I guess an outer string will have to do.

Do fishermen wear silk pants with matching tops ?

When I read your previous post I thought you had just bought "fisherman trousers". But these trousers are made of cotton not silk.

It sounds like you bought a pair of those large trousers they use in massage salons. In this case, there's no string. You have to tie them in a knot and ... that's not easy. :o

The real "fisherman trousers" are much better because as Altman said, there's a string and cotton is much more confortable than silk (wearing silk during hot days is unbearable :D unless you live in an air-conditioned room/house). At Warorot market, they cost about 60 bahts a pair (more than 100 bahts is robbery !)

Good shopping

Adjan JB

:D

> I have seen plenty of clothes for sale in the supermarkets, malls and

> more touristed areas, of course, but doubt that is where the locals

> shop for clothing.

Yeah, the Tesco Lotus & Airport Plaza parking lots sits empty every day. :D

I think locals do quite a bit of shopping at those places. :o But indeed, the Big Market comes to mind. (Called Talad Warorot on the maps, but Kad Luang by each and every local)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Yeah, the Tesco Lotus & Airport Plaza parking lots sits empty every day.

I think locals do quite a bit of shopping at those places.

Quite true ! though I avoid buying clothes in such places if I can.

Thanks for the help, adjan jb and chanchao. I will check out the market. I agree that cotton is far more comfortable than silk in the heat, esp. if you are a sweaty foreigner. These pants came from the pyjama section. Matching tops were available. I think they are standard pyjamas with Thai characteristics, probably intended more for lounging around the house than sleeping in. Do Thais sleep in PJ's ?

Edited by footfall

P.S. This store also had a section of clothes in that quite heavy dark blue denim-like material - shirts in a few different styles and,I think, a similar kind of pants. Perhaps these are more like the fisherman's pants. I liked the clothes but did not investigate as the material would be too heavy for this weather but they might make good gifts. Again, I was thinking these looked like worker's clothes and must be available more cheaply elsewhere.

I think it was Carrefour, btw, but could be wrong as I have visted a few of the major supermarkets in the last week and they tend to blur together in the mind.

Edited by footfall

Open 24/7. What areas are open and what is being sold does vary, so be sure to include at least one daytime visit and one nighttime visit.

The inside building is open during the day. But a lot of clothes are sold outside on the streets around as well at any time of the night.

For clothes I'd say the best time is still the day though, especially men's clothes.