'Sonic the Elephant' goes on rampage, chases Trat villagers

webfact

'Sonic the Elephant' goes on rampage, chases Trat villagers
By Coconuts Bangkok

elephanttrat.jpg

TRAT: -- A wild elephant villagers refer to as “Sonic the Elephant” went on a rampage yesterday morning at Baan Ta Plai village of Trat province after villagers rudely put an end to him enjoying some downtime in a nearby canal.

Locals assume Sonic traveled from another district to seek food in their village when they found him chilling in the canal. Local volunteers were deployed to try and shoo the elephant away.

Sonic, who possibly panicked when a group of people turned up, lumbered out of the canal and then charged into the crowd of locals, forcing about 30 people to flee for their lives. The elephant hit two motorbikes and a pickup truck.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/06/sonic-elephant-goes-rampage-chases-trat-villagers

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-06

• Like 1

My support is for the elephant.

Aren't elephants supposed to have a special significance for the Thais.

Ooop's

I forgot., it is only when the elephants are made to walk the streets in appalling conditions so as to solicit ''donations'' for the handler and thus the handlers can pay the rental to the elephant owner that the elephants then assume any significant importance.

fighting-elephant-benjavisa-ruangvaree.j

Yet more Thai bashing ...

How many wild animals are allowed to wander into a town in your country without the end result being the animal is 'removed' ( read 'shot') under the pretence of safety.

The very fact that this animal lives in relative freedom makes your post sound as bigoted as it really is.

You seem a bit ignorant to reality. Though not all nations are the same, generally in the US if the animal poses a danger to society they are tranquilized and brought back to their habitat. That being said, he didn't say the animal shouldn't be removed, he said they had cultural significance but they were acting as if it was any animal that trodded into their town.

Granted, we do remove the animals but we usually don't consider the brown bear to have significant cultural meaning to us, either.

• Like 2

zaZa9 post # 9.

How many wild animals are allowed to wander into a town in your country without the end result being the animal is 'removed' ( read 'shot') under the pretence of safety.

The very fact that this animal lives in relative freedom makes your post sound as bigoted as it really is.

Strangely enough my boy the people in the country I came from 24 years ago to live here didn't shoot animals that strayed into the human domain .by accident People did their utmost to rescue and save the creatures who had encounters with humankind.

In fact there were and still are a great many protected area for all forms of wildlife animal, reptiles and ,insect wise let alone the local fauna.Housing projects have been halted, roads diverted so as local wildlife is allowed to flourish.

Did you actually read or think about your post ?

It plainly shows that you support the abuse of elephants both in the wild and in slavery in Bangkok. Own an elephant do you, rent it out do you or do you rent an elephant so as to earn a living?

The very fact that this animal is not being allowed to live in relative freedom makes your post sound as bigoted as it really is zaZa9.

• Like 2

Ooop's

I forgot., it is only when the elephants are made to walk the streets in appalling conditions so as to solicit ''donations'' for the handler and thus the handlers can pay the rental to the elephant owner that the elephants then assume any significant importance.

You seem a bit ignorant to reality. Though not all nations are the same, generally in the US if the animal poses a danger to society they are tranquilized and brought back to their habitat. That being said, he didn't say the animal shouldn't be removed, he said they had cultural significance but they were acting as if it was any animal that trodded into their town.

Granted, we do remove the animals but we usually don't consider the brown bear to have significant cultural meaning to us, either.

You're still stuck helplessly on animals. The topic's been transmogrified to Thai bashing.

• Like 2

Poor old Sonic. Probably in musk looking for a mate. Musk swells male elephant brains, gives them dreadful headaches which drive them berserk until they either get their rocks off or it passes. Every village should have an elephant bar with pole dancing females elephants to service male elephants in musk like Sonic. Bar fine: 10 kilos of bananas, or, sugar cane. It works for falangs. When did you last see a falang running amok, or, even with a headache, in Soi 4? Problem solved. You heard it here first.Government Health Warning: Give 'em plenty of room when they get down to business.

zaZa9 post # 9.

Strangely enough my boy the people in the country I came from 24 years ago to live here didn't shoot animals that strayed into the human domain .by accident People did their utmost to rescue and save the creatures who had encounters with humankind.

In fact there were and still are a great many protected area for all forms of wildlife animal, reptiles and ,insect wise let alone the local fauna.Housing projects have been halted, roads diverted so as local wildlife is allowed to flourish.

Did you actually read or think about your post ?

It plainly shows that you support the abuse of elephants both in the wild and in slavery in Bangkok. Own an elephant do you, rent it out do you or do you rent an elephant so as to earn a living?

The very fact that this animal is not being allowed to live in relative freedom makes your post sound as bigoted as it really is zaZa9.

How is this elephant not being allowed to live in relative freedom? There's no indication that the villagers wanted to restrict this animal's freedom or that they were abusive towards it. They simply want to keep it at a distance because it has previously come into their community and destroyed property.

These are awesome creatures, but they can also be very dangerous (around 500 people are killed in elephant attacks every year: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/06/0603_050603_elephants.html). It's only natural that villagers get uncomfortable when they approach their communities. These villagers did not take out their guns, etc.: they're described as simply trying to "shoo" the elephant away.

But what do we get here? A lot of 'Somchai' comments and not a whole lot of understanding.

• Like 1

Ooop's

Deer, Badgers, foxes, hedgehogs, rats etc, come into my town, and they are not hurt in anyway, and even left alone. but I agree I don't see anybody trying to make money from the wild animals.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ooop's

xfighting-elephant-benjavisa-ruangvaree.

In my country, the UK, we don't have elephants out on the streets collecting money for their owners, we don't have boxing orangutans, we don't have various types of monkeys being kept as money making pets. If you want to start talking 'facts' maybe you should consider that in Thailand wild animals (rather former wild animals) are often seen as entertainment and means of making money.

• Like 2

Ooop's

Deer, Badgers, foxes, hedgehogs, rats etc, come into my town, and they are not hurt in anyway, and even left alone. but I agree I don't see anybody trying to make money from the wild animals.

What about the people who subjugate foxes, deer and badgers, and walk them around town, using a steel hook, for the purpose of collecting money to, err, feed them. o_O Don't make out you haven't seen those people. God you're all so bigoted.

Ooop's

What about the people who subjugate foxes, deer and badgers, and walk them around town, using a steel hook, for the purpose of collecting money to, err, feed them. o_O Don't make out you haven't seen those people. God you're all so bigoted.

I have never ever seen that in my whole life, are you sure you are taking the right medication, if not see your doctor and change it

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ooop's

In my country, the UK, we don't have elephants out on the streets collecting money for their owners, we don't have boxing orangutans, we don't have various types of monkeys being kept as money making pets. If you want to start talking 'facts' maybe you should consider that in Thailand wild animals (rather former wild animals) are often seen as entertainment and means of making money.

Since when is London Zoo a non-profit?

Ooop's

Since when is London Zoo a non-profit?

Ooop's

So I'm guessing London Zoo is not for entertainment, and is a non-profit organization without any elephants etc. What was the entrance fee again?

Ooop's

What a negative outlook on life you have.