Phnom Penh Nightlife?

ivan96822

I like PP.

Beer better and cheaper than Thailand.

Ladies friendly and less greedy.

Police, hardly saw any.

Food, including late night is OK.

I live in Thailand but have to say, PP makes a pleasant break.

Go take a look.

smile.png

Oh the police are here, all right. Mostly hiding behind bushes near traffic signs obscured by same bushes so as to shake down motorists making turns they did not know were illegal. And demanding a % to "help" get your stolen property back from thieves...you get the picture. Certainly best avoided. They are less in your face than in Thailand, but will shake you down for $ if they see a good opportunity.

2 other bits of warning, not to be a kill joy:

1) It is an early to bed, early to rise country. Outside of tourist venues and red light districts, the streets are deserted from 9 PM, earlier in the provinces. Locals consider it the height of folly and an invitation to robbery to be out late, especially on foot or on a moto taxi or in a tuk tuk. Of course, in tourist spots demand has created supply and you'll find plenty of late night bars etc. Just be aware of what I just said in travellng to and fro. Restrict walking to well lit areas where you see plenty of other people around, even if it means lengthy detours. If possible travel by car (there are now metered taxis you can call in PP) but if you must go by tuk tuk, take the time to cultivate one you can trust and be sure to sit in the middle (not in grabbing distance of passing motorcyclist) and don't have your wallet, phone etc in sight. Do not walk any distance late at night inebriated nor take a motorcycle taxi in said condition, it is asking for problems.

2) In Cambodia as in Thailand, there is a not insignificant amount of HIV among "friendly" local women. Use a condom, always.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to disagree; I've lived in Phnom Penh and while walking in some parts of the city late at night may be dangerous - I've walked for miles late at night and never had the slightest hint of trouble. Though in fairness; I am a big fellow and there are always easier prey than me around. I have also taken tuk-tuks from pretty much everywhere to anywhere without issue - the smart rule is simply to fix the price before you go anywhere and to make sure you actually pay what you agreed when you arrive.

Completely agree on the always use a rubber rule though... can't believe anybody would take that kind of chance here or anywhere with a pay-for-play partner...

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know which areas should be avoided completely, which areas should be avioded at night, and which areas are safe to walk out at night.

PP is a safe city during the day, there is no area to avoid. But you probably won't have any business outside downtown.

At night the drunk drivers are the biggest danger. Accidents do happen but it's a city of over 2 million, so that is expected. Been here two years and never heard of anyone being robbed. I have heard of people getting seriously injured in traffic accidents though, so be careful.

Tuk tuks are perfectly safe at night and day. Obviously use common sense. Don't take 500 dollars and 3 credit cards with you when going out drinking and you will be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh the police are here, all right. Mostly hiding behind bushes near traffic signs obscured by same bushes so as to shake down motorists making turns they did not know were illegal. And demanding a % to "help" get your stolen property back from thieves...you get the picture. Certainly best avoided. They are less in your face than in Thailand, but will shake you down for $ if they see a good opportunity.

2 other bits of warning, not to be a kill joy:

1) It is an early to bed, early to rise country. Outside of tourist venues and red light districts, the streets are deserted from 9 PM, earlier in the provinces. Locals consider it the height of folly and an invitation to robbery to be out late, especially on foot or on a moto taxi or in a tuk tuk. Of course, in tourist spots demand has created supply and you'll find plenty of late night bars etc. Just be aware of what I just said in travellng to and fro. Restrict walking to well lit areas where you see plenty of other people around, even if it means lengthy detours. If possible travel by car (there are now metered taxis you can call in PP) but if you must go by tuk tuk, take the time to cultivate one you can trust and be sure to sit in the middle (not in grabbing distance of passing motorcyclist) and don't have your wallet, phone etc in sight. Do not walk any distance late at night inebriated nor take a motorcycle taxi in said condition, it is asking for problems.

2) In Cambodia as in Thailand, there is a not insignificant amount of HIV among "friendly" local women. Use a condom, always.

The above information was current maybe as of 2007 (except for the HIV part...that's still good advice). Phnom Penh has changed a lot since then, and it's a lot safer. As far as bars, many will stay open all night as long as there are paying customers inside...VERY different than Thailand in that regard. It's fun, just don't think it's Thailand, because it's not...in general, people (including the women who work in the bars) are a lot more socially conservative than Thais. Be respectful, don't grope, and in general don't be an <deleted> (good advice everywhere!). As far as safety at night, be aware of your surroundings, don't get falling-over-drunk, don't walk alone down unlit streets, and you'll be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

PP was a bit of a shock for me having spent most of my time in BKK and Pattaya - walking out of Sharkey's Bar at midnight to find myself on a pitch black street didnt thrill me one bit but fortunately my hotel was only a few doors down on St 130. The aptly named City Centre Hotel might not have the best views in the world, but it was my sanctuary for roughly 36 hours of hell when I contracted food poisoning the morning after that first visit to Sharkey's. That's the one thing I'm hoping has improved since 2010 - hygiene standards - but looking at a few blog entries I'm inclined to wonder if that is the case. I did have another nasty night driving the porcelain bowl here in Pattaya a few months back but nothing to compare to the incredible eruptions of black bile that literally had me wondering which end to point at the bowl. I wouldnt have made the airport in a cab without soiling myself, much less got on a plane to BKK - many will laugh, but there were periods in that hotel room when I wondered if I would succumb to whatever nasty bacteria were having a party in my intestines, and that's not a good feeling in a country with such a poor reputation for medical care. Little wonder Sheryl is a walking encyclopaedia or medical knowledge !

(Apologies to those who might have just eaten :D)

I've got to be honest, Sharkeys isn't great but I don't associate them with food poisoning either. I find Thailand's much harder on the stomach than Cambodia in general. Though nothing beats China for that particular accolade...

No - I believe I was poisoned by tainted milk in my coffee the following morning. 4-star hotel down near Riverside, immaculate tablecothes etc but someone messed up and I paid the price. I seem to have copped a bad prawn here in Pattaya earlier this evening and I suspect posting here will have to take the place of sleep tonight (my intestines are doing cartwheels), but this is a pale version of those hours in that PP hotel room. Still, if it's a hurdle to be taken in one's stride, so be it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hygiene there sucks. Your eating with rats scurrying around your feet at some of the street stands. Started wearing closed top tennis shoes instead of sandals.

The HIV rate is not bad, its sky high. The foreigners who do prefer it appear to be mostly potheads who smoke a lot of weed, or do goody female NGO types.

• 4 weeks later...

Twice in Cambodia never sick, Angor larger one of the best beers going, food no matter where i ate was brilliant, the couple of times i ventured into the bar area prices on a par with Thailand and the one time i befriended a freelancer again Thai rate, but hey she had the biggest bust id seen in years.

Twice in Cambodia never sick, Angor larger one of the best beers going, food no matter where i ate was brilliant, the couple of times i ventured into the bar area prices on a par with Thailand and the one time i befriended a freelancer again Thai rate, but hey she had the biggest bust id seen in years.

how big?

Been there a few times, once for a month. Only got sick once and yes... It was after eating at Sharky's . It was coming out of both ends for two days with another day in bed too weak to get up. It took a week to fully recover, Pulled pork sandwich.....

Never had any problems with locals. Prices cheap to reasonable for just about everything. Not sure I would want to live there but good for a visit.

how big?

Western big without the extra 20 kilos, approx 165cm tall with a 25cm waste and such firm breasts you could hang a coat hanger on her nipple....i enjoyed.wink.png

how big?

Western big without the extra 20 kilos, approx 165cm tall with a 25cm waste and such firm breasts you could hang a coat hanger on her nipple....i enjoyed.wink.png
tremendous, sounds like you died and went to nom yai heaven... Suppose you. Wundt have a pic or two of the said vision of shimmering lovelyness by any chance.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/30/2015 at 10:24 PM, somchai2010 said:

I would like to know which areas should be avoided completely, which areas should be avioded at night, and which areas are safe to walk out at night.

Wat phnom area at night unles ur looking for a very cheap streetwalker and possible trouble.

Street 51 area around gsm is all night activity, streets 104,108,130,136,172 some places 2 am, some till dawn

Posts discussing the specifics of prostitution have been removed in keeping with forum rules.

It is really quite easy to know where to avoid walking in PP at night. Just look at the street. If it is dark, with plenty of shadows to hide in, avoid. If it is virtually deserted, avoid. If the only people on it are dodgy looking, avoid.

Stick to well lit, populated areas where at least some of the denizens look mainstream normal.

Presence of women other than bar girls/hookers is a pretty reliable indication that a place is ok to walk through.

• 2 months later...

There are young kids (8-12?) sniffing glue and trying to rob tourists who hang around the waterfront area around 138. 

They tried to grab my shopping bag and another farang pointed them out to me and what they were doing. 
After I knew about it and could spot them, I saw a few different groups of them. 
Just beware. 
Apparently the cops take them in for a week or so to the detention centers but then let them back out.

Poor country with some desperate people. 

Mostly though:  I loved the place. 

• 2 months later...

Was in PP recently.  If you are looking for many ladies like Thailand forget this place.

Truly the minor leagues in this area.  Guys say how great it is to walk in to a bar and 10 girls attack you.  I did not find it great at all you shoe them away and they give you attitude.  Plus, the quality in the places was low maybe 3 girls on entire 106 street were decent.

Overall quality poor at all the places I went (all the bar girlie streets) and pretty much bad attitudes pushy buy me a drink types.

Walked to The mall downtown and saw some girls but a guy shooting something into his arm on the street made me go back to my room quickly.

I actually liked hanging out near the river having a few drinks and there are some good restaurants in that area. The city of PP is gritty which I like also.

But the lady scene is so much better in Thailand and PI I think. This place seems just blah!!

If you dont drive a vehicle you will never meet a policeman here, altho having said that they was actually one in my local bar the other night and he was very friendly. Some very attractive ladies here as well but you will need an app and at least $100 to meet them.

• 8 months later...
On 3/4/2017 at 2:30 PM, phuketrichard said:

Wat phnom area at night unles ur looking for a very cheap streetwalker and possible trouble.

Street 51 area around gsm is all night activity, streets 104,108,130,136,172 some places 2 am, some till dawn

What about riverside main street, just in front of the river, is it ok at night ?

And hotels there ?

Thank you.

Archived