Campaign to help get seriously ill British man home from Thailand

webfact

Campaign to help get seriously ill Barnsley man home from Thailand

bri.jpg

BARNSLEY: -- A campaign has been launched to help get a Barnsley man back home after he fell seriously ill on holiday and is facing medical costs of tens of thousands of pounds.

Craig Lindley, aged 35, of Hoyle Mill, had travelled to Thailand to celebrate a friend’s wedding when he collapsed on New Year’s Day.

Tests have revealed he has developed Guillain-Barré Syndrome - a rare condition of the peripheral nervous system, which has left him virtually paralysed.

Friends and family are rallying round to raise enough money to pay for his medical treatment and to fly him home because of concerns that Craig may not have travel insurance.

They have been unable to find any paperwork among his belongings and it is feared that an internet transaction for a policy he found on a search comparison site may not have gone through.

Craig, who dismantles planes in Germany and is known for his work as an amateur boxing and in boys’ clubs, has already accrued a medical bill of around £40,000.

His father Frank Lindley, aged 66, also of Hoyle Mill, said he is ‘distraught’ at his son’s illness.

Full story: http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/campaign-to-help-get-seriously-ill-barnsley-man-home-from-thailand-1-7034803

-- The Star 2015-01-07

• Like 1

They have been unable to find any paperwork among his belongings and it is feared that an internet transaction for a policy he found on a search comparison site may not have gone through.

The comment above in the quote box is a worrying factor.

Does it perhaps indicate payment was made over the internet yet the entity that received the payment (if made) did not honour nor did it intend to honour the agreement?

Lot to be said for the old fashioned method of face to face, cash payment, then, presuming that he was covered or did he not document issued system, although not foolproof the odds on being cheated are very low.

Or did the the patient actually travel without health insurance having decided it was only a holiday and no serious problems were expected or likely to arise?

Whatever the causes or reasons for the plight of ''no funds'' I do hope that a way can be found to assist this man and his family in their personal crisis

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

40k gbp in 5 days?

Where is he being attended to?

My thoughts too. Must be in some high-end int'l hospital. I've had a TGF in a hospital for 3 days some years ago and the tab came to about 10,000 baht. Then again, she was not even close to being as sick as this poor guy.

Break down the insurance fine print to the important parts:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THE INSURANCE (GENERAL EXCLUSIONS)

Treatment for sickness or injury directly or indirectly caused if you choose to go to a region where there is martial law

Unless the illness was caused by martial law, he should be covered if he has insurance.

No insurance, ok error.....it's times like these I would like to see the British government step in and help one of our own for once!

I have said for a long time that people should not be allowed to fly to foreign countries, without proof of valid Insurance, unless its within the EEC.

Your correct about the British Government, but if they do that, then the door is wide open.

40k gbp in 5 days?

He is obviously in a private hospital where the intensive care room costs approx 2000GBP/night, then there are the very expensive drugs he will require, the ventilator and other equipment costs and doctors fees. So this cost does not surprise me.

40k gbp in 5 days?

He is obviously in a private hospital where the intensive care room costs approx 2000GBP/night, then there are the very expensive drugs he will require, the ventilator and other equipment costs and doctors fees. So this cost does not surprise me.

40k gbp in 5 days?

ICU rooms don't cost that much here.

• Like 1

No travel insurance?

Expensive lesson learnt for this bloke.

Most people, even with travel insurance would have no coverage under the martial law, as that is specified in the exclusions ....

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THE INSURANCE (GENERAL EXCLUSIONS)

Treatment for sickness or injury directly or indirectly caused if you actively engage in, participate in or choose to go to a region where there is: a war, invasion, acts of a foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war has been declared or not), civil war, terrorist acts, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, civil commotion, military or usurped power, martial law, riots or the acts of any lawfully constituted authority, or army, naval or air service operations (whether war has been declared or not),

I thought martial law had been lifted long ago, and clearly it is not in effect throughout Thailand now.

Insurance should still be valid. I certainly just had my insurance claim accepted, for an accident 4 months ago.

40k gbp in 5 days?

ICU rooms don't cost that much here.

I don't understand how someone with no insurance is even being treated in a place that charges that much. They must have known he couldn't pay when he was admitted, so should have sent him off to a government hospital where costs are much lower.

• Like 2