Campaign to help get seriously ill British man home from Thailand

webfact

17,000 GBP to fly him within Thailand?!?! I don't believe these numbers.

Possibly some of the reports are confusing baht charges with charges in GBP.

This site seems to have slightly different numbers, although they still are considerable.

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/cvDA5/ab/94Mk63

Probably a long-term solution, especially in countries where medical care is "free," is for those governments to do a better job of warning people travelling out of the country or providing some (mandatory?) insurance pool to cover at least catastrophic medical expenses incurred out of the country, rather than wait for the catastrophe and try to rescue people. I know that's nanny state mentality, but if it's what people are accustomed to at home ...

Edited by Suradit69

No insurance, ok error.....it's times like these I would like to see the British government step in and help one of our own for once!

But how many "errors" will be made in the future with others British nationals who fall ill while on vacation? If you help one you have to help them all and at the end of the day, the "British Government" is simply the long suffering British tax payer!

Though those they could [and many would say should] help are tax payers.

No insurance, ok error.....it's times like these I would like to see the British government step in and help one of our own for once!

really? imagine if word gets round that UK taxpayers pay for your insurance in Thailand.
  • Like 1

No sympathy for no travel insurance, if u cant afford the cost then u cant afford the trip, I always take travel insurance, and take copies, one in my room, one in my bike..any body who doesent take out travel insurance needs their head read..... coffee1.gif

Caring f##ker!

Some people can't get insurance, did you consider that? Or do you just sit typing drivel with a smug attitude of know all?

• Like 2

Unfortunately healthcare in Thailand is something to be negotiated in respect of fees/price just like any other purchase/transaction. Even the big players will negotiate down to a certain extent. That works fine if one is in state of consciousness but wouldn't have helped this poor chap.

No sympathy for no travel insurance, if u cant afford the cost then u cant afford the trip, I always take travel insurance, and take copies, one in my room, one in my bike..any body who doesent take out travel insurance needs their head read..... coffee1.gif

Caring f##ker!

Some people can't get insurance, did you consider that? Or do you just sit typing drivel with a smug attitude of know all?

pretty much everyone can qualify for travel insurance and it does not cost much, less than $100 and they are being offered by reputable companies

Guillain-Barré syndrome is synonymous with Vaccines, Without knowing all the facts, maybe he took some vaccines in the UK before coming to Thailand, believing it would guard against the many bugs out here. His illness now is the side effects of those vaccines. Guillain-Barré syndrome is not reported enough or mentioned as a side effect when taking vaccines. unfortunately your governments have wavered all your rights against suing these giant pharmaceutical corporation for negligence. Its criminal what they are upto

http://www.infowars.com/h1n1-vaccine-link-to-guillain-barre-syndrome-kept-from-public/

http://www.infowars.com/cdc-reports-on-adverse-reactions-to-gardasil-vaccine/

Edited by Brian T

I had a friend who contracted TB in Pattaya and was nearly on deaths door before he went hospital and that was straight into a HD isolation ward for a 3 week stay and the bill was around 500,000 baht so this 2 million baht this poor man owes on a five day stay has to be wrong or someone has took advantage.

Guillain-Barré syndrome is synonymous with Vaccines, Without knowing all the facts, maybe he took some vaccines from the UK before coming out to the Wedding in Thailand, to guard against the many bugs out here. His illness now is the side effects to those vaccines. Guillain-Barré syndrome is not reported enough or mentioned as a side effect when taking vaccines. unfortunately your governments have wavered all your rights against suing these giant pharmaceutical corporation for negligence. Its criminal what they are upto

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19388722

Stuff and nonsense. Have you actually bothered to read the abstract you link to? I quote:

"Our review indicates that, with rare exceptions, associations between vaccines and GBS have been only temporal."

In other words, in the vast majority of cases it's purely a coincidence that the syndrome develops after vaccination - there is no causal link.

How on earth can this hospital justify a bill of almost a million Baht in less that a week. He is parlayed so it is not like they have performed cutting edge open hear surgery. Flying Dick Turpin not Flying doctor.

£40,000 equals about 2 million Baht.....

• Like 1

Seriously who goes on vacation with travel insurance. Travel ins. is a scam.

There are two types of travel insurance: medical coverage and coverage for a wide variety of other problems, such as when you luggage is lost. I would not call either a scam, but I certainly believe, after thorough research, that the other variety isn't worth it.

But travel medical insurance is to me as important as my passport.

If it doesn't bother you to potentially become a burden on society or your family, by all means, skip the travel medical insurance. Just imagine, with the proceeds saved you could even spend a night in Bangkok making your hard man humble, bareback.

Guillain-Barré syndrome is synonymous with Vaccines, Without knowing all the facts, maybe he took some vaccines from the UK before coming out to the Wedding in Thailand, to guard against the many bugs out here. His illness now is the side effects to those vaccines. Guillain-Barré syndrome is not reported enough or mentioned as a side effect when taking vaccines. unfortunately your governments have wavered all your rights against suing these giant pharmaceutical corporation for negligence. Its criminal what they are upto

Stuff and nonsense. Have you actually bothered to read the abstract you link to? I quote:

"Our review indicates that, with rare exceptions, associations between vaccines and GBS have been only temporal."

In other words, in the vast majority of cases it's purely a coincidence that the syndrome develops after vaccination - there is no causal link.

Thanks for looking, I posted the wrong link by mistake.

http://www.infowars.com/h1n1-vaccine-link-to-guillain-barre-syndrome-kept-from-public/

How on earth can this hospital justify a bill of almost a million Baht in less that a week. He is parlayed so it is not like they have performed cutting edge open hear surgery. Flying Dick Turpin not Flying doctor.

£40,000 equals about 2 million Baht.....

clap2.gifclap2.gif I bet you were top of the class in maths biggrin.png

Just out of interest, what does the hospital do if the relatives say, "sorry, we cannot cover this bill beyond xxxx amount"?

It makes one wonder if the hospital keeps an eye on these appeals to see how much has been raised, and hence how much they can gouge out of the poor patients? Or am I being too cynical here?

• Like 1

Thanks for looking, I posted the wrong link by mistake.

The original link does mention the possible causal link, but says

"The evidence for a causal association is strongest for the swine influenza vaccine that was used in 1976-77. Studies of influenza vaccines used in subsequent years, however, have found small or no increased risk of GBS."

So, yes, many years ago there was the possibility that one vaccine, which was only used for one flu season, might have increased the risk of GBS, though this might simply be a statistical anomaly. In short, there's nothing to justify saying "Guillain-Barré syndrome is synonymous with Vaccines".

Suggest you read post 12. and recheck YOUR insurances!

Many insurances become void under martial law!

No question that private hospitals overcharge, especially for ICU treatment, but I've seen amounts in baht get confused with amounts in sterling in provincial British newspapers before now. Not saying that is the case in this instance.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but, I thought this post was about Craig Lindley & his plight & what can be done to assist him..... NOT, what a smart little princess you might happen to be.

Just sayin..... Mal.

After reading 39 post yours was the first about that man. All you righteous people talking about that he should have had insurance <deleted> unbelievable. You better hope things don't happen to you which are beyond your control. Shame on you.

Sent from my S4 LTE

• Like 1

40k gbp in 5 days?

Where is he being attended to?

He is obviously in a private hospital where the intensive care room costs approx 2000GBP/night, then there are the very expensive drugs he will require, the ventilator and other equipment costs and doctors fees. So this cost does not surprise me.

Don't be surprised at the numbers, low priced medical costs are the reason Thailand was voted a top 10 retirement destination.

sorry to sound harsh, but no-one "thinks" they have insurance, because you carry the policy paperwork with you and always the emergency number, as he is a youger guy this would have been cheap, my mate is coming over tomorrow for 3 weeks and insurance is £25 and he is 63, so sorry no sympathy from me.