Campaign to help get seriously ill British man home from Thailand

webfact

40k gbp in 5 days?

Where is he being attended to?

He is obviously in a private hospital where the intensive care room costs approx 2000GBP/night, then there are the very expensive drugs he will require, the ventilator and other equipment costs and doctors fees. So this cost does not surprise me.

ICU rooms don't cost that much here.

According to the appeal website he's in Bangkok Hospital ICU. On top of the GBP 2,000/day cost for the ICU there's the cost of the initial treatment, GBP 16,000 covering a week - https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/cvDA5/ab/94Mk63

There's a Bangkok Pundit article commenting on another article. The original article stated

"The total cost of staying in an ICU room at a leading private hospital is about 100,000 baht per day" (almost exactly GBP 2,000)

and Bangkok Pundit's comment

"Bumrungrad charges under 10,000 baht a day for a room and service charges for ICU rooms. You will have doctors fee and drugs on top of that, but 90,000 baht a day is far and above what I know people have paid. In fact, it sounds so beyond what I have heard it is ridiculous."

http://asiancorrespondent.com/20595/public-hospitals-in-thailand/

Not sure what to think.

I had a night in ICU in Rajevej (mid level private hospital) in Chiang Mai a couple of years ago. I'm sure it was 3,500 baht for the bed in ICU - don't know why but that figure is ringing bells maybe nursing fees on top, I really can't remember.

The total amount was a few baht over 18,000 which included ambulance, ECG and 3 CT scans and a fistful of meds when I got out plus a couple of follow up visits. There were also lots of tests for an as yet unexplained and (thankfully one-off) seizure.

Air ambulance fees are horrific so that would put the total up, but perhaps they've added a zero to the 100,000 baht a day for ICU, or perhaps the medications he's taking (mentioned in an earlier comment) are very expensive. Either way, it should be made clear so as not to sound like it's a bit strange, a lot of people would know that hospital care in developing countries isn't as expensive as back home.

They really need to clarify it.

Hmmm. I may be wrong but this may mean if the injury was incurred as a result of indirect or directly from acts of martial law, as getting a virus or injured from a fall are would not be linked to this. And, wouldn't the insurance be void anyways if this was the case if in fact he purchased it after it was declared? IMHO.

You are correct - I contacted my insurance company to confirm and as long as we don't INTENTIONALLY put ourselves into a risky situation we're OK.

If you think that through, if he were not going to be covered because he was in Thailand which is under martial law, then the company would have illegally entered into a contract they knew they couldn't the obligations of, i.e. covering him for his trip to Thailand. No insurance company would be so silly as to do that.

No travel insurance?

Expensive lesson learnt for this bloke.

Very expensive stupid silly man so so important to have travel insurance mine cost me £50 for 3 months if he has not attempted then am sorry but he fooooked up and deal with it

• Like 1

To help clear out any misunderstandings on the medical bills I would suggest the family to post a copy of the hospital bills on their fundraiser site as well as estimated costs.

Each day you are given updated costs by the hospital, so it is very easy to provide day to day overview of the medical expenses for all donators to see, so everything is transparent.

• Like 1

Poor bloke, insurance or no insurance, in his condition he probably wouldn't give a toss about that. What are they going to do with him in his condition, turf him out onto the street? It's more a problem for his family now. Us Yorkies are good at stuff like this and I'm sure a whip round in the pubs and working mens clubs around Barnsley will raise enough cash to get him home. Good luck.

Poor bloke, insurance or no insurance, in his condition he probably wouldn't give a toss about that. What are they going to do with him in his condition, turf him out onto the street? It's more a problem for his family now. Us Yorkies are good at stuff like this and I'm sure a whip round in the pubs and working mens clubs around Barnsley will raise enough cash to get him home. Good luck.

This is what makes me angry about the NHS. He got a freak illnes which he could have got in the UK, it's not like he broke his leg skiing. The NHS (British Government) should fund treatment, as he could have got sick in the UK, less the costs of repatriation.

• Like 1

No insurance, ok error.....it's times like these I would like to see the British government step in and help one of our own for once!

I have said for a long time that people should not be allowed to fly to foreign countries, without proof of valid Insurance, unless its within the EEC.

Your correct about the British Government, but if they do that, then the door is wide open.

Governments do not have any money, except that raised by various taxes......so why should i as a tax payer foot the bill???

Ill informed comments re insurance cover under martial law help nobody. Cover for most events that are not a DIRECT RESULT of that (or) terrorist action, insurrection etc are covered by any reputable insurer.

I hope this young fella gets home ok and makes a full recovery.

Do feel sorry for the guy but the fees of 40K gbp for five days sounds crazy, have they given him a triple bypass and a complete rebuild?

I was in an expensive private hospital for 6 nights and had a CT scan and extensive tests however not in ICU................but even with the hospital well aware I had a Bupa card they still only managed to pad it out to 53k baht total bill.

2 million baht doesnt make sense.

I hope he has friends here who can take a very close look at the on going account.

No travel insurance?

Most people, even with travel insurance would have no coverage under the martial law, as that is specified in the exclusions ....

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THE INSURANCE (GENERAL EXCLUSIONS)

Treatment for sickness or injury directly or indirectly caused if you actively engage in, participate in or choose to go to a region where there is: a war, invasion, acts of a foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war has been declared or not), civil war, terrorist acts, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, civil commotion, military or usurped power, martial law, riots or the acts of any lawfully constituted authority, or army, naval or air service operations (whether war has been declared or not),

+1...Most types of insurance has a 'martial law' exclusion.

• Like 1

No insurance, ok error.....it's times like these I would like to see the British government step in and help one of our own for once!

unfortunately world is full of irresponsible people, certain things just need to be taken care of without fellow taxpayers.

Even if he would have insurance they would not pay!

All insurance companies would claim pre existing condition, any infection would only be deemed the trigger.

I know from my own experience dealing with insurance companies. I had an international health insurance, I had it for 3 years and I payed 2,000 a year. The third year I was hit by a motorcycle in a hit and run here in Thailand ending up with a broken arm and some cuts and bruises. The treatment in government hospital ended up at "only" 50,000 Baht. Here comes the "fun" part... The insurance company claimed pre existing condition because I have psoriasis and refused to pay a single Baht!

I don't understand how my psoriasis can affect a broken bone from an traffic accident!?!?!?

• Like 1

No, I'm sorry, I wouldn't like to see the government step in. It would mean nobody would ever need to buy travel insurance again.

But I do sympathise with your implied sentiment that the government should help our own for a change.

I have said for a long time that people should not be allowed to fly to foreign countries, without proof of valid Insurance, unless its within the EEC.

Your correct about the British Government, but if they do that, then the door is wide open.

Governments do not have any money, except that raised by various taxes......so why should i as a tax payer foot the bill???

Well I as a tax payer wouldn't have a problem with helping this guy back home!

But hey ho that's just me...

• Like 1

How on earth can this hospital justify a bill of almost a million Baht in less that a week. He is parlayed so it is not like they have performed cutting edge open hear surgery. Flying Dick Turpin not Flying doctor.

More like 2 million baht.

Many insurers refuse to pay bills at this particular hospital or cap the max they'll pay for any aspect of treatment. They deem it the most expensive in the Kingdom & where possible direct customers elsewhere.

Edited by evadgib

Do feel sorry for the guy but the fees of 40K gbp for five days sounds crazy, have they given him a triple bypass and a complete rebuild?

I was in an expensive private hospital for 6 nights and had a CT scan and extensive tests however not in ICU................but even with the hospital well aware I had a Bupa card they still only managed to pad it out to 53k baht total bill.

2 million baht doesnt make sense.

I hope he has friends here who can take a very close look at the on going account.

Unless or until the Govt here does something about the 'licence to print money' that prevails in private hospitals in tourist enclaves nothing will ever change. I'd also like to see bills based on nature of injury instead of ethnicity of patient....

Edited by evadgib

I just feel the need to repost this treatment cost. The cost was from long ago but all I could find, but was a cost from the USA, and far from the quoted prices in the OP.

The costs per patient of plasma exchange and IV IgG for the treatment of acute Guillain-Barré syndrome were $6,204 and $10,165, respectively. A sensitivity analysis determined the model was sensitive to the cost of IV IgG. The cost savings per patient treatment for the use of plasma exchange varied from $304 to $6,625 depending on the IV IgG product selected. Plasma exchange and IV IgG are both effective treatments for Guillain-Barré syndrome. However, our analysis determined plasma exchange on average was almost $4,000 less costly per patient than IV IgG. Further research is required to determine the impact of patient and physician preferences on the treatment of this disorder. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10540364

I have a 63 day each world trip policy with Virgin Travel and just called them, where they confirmed Thailand is still fully covered with their insurance.

Good to know that Charliewolf and, despite this being slightly offtopic2.gif.pagespeed.ce.kcjFR6YG46f_i I would suggest that anyone taking out Travel insurance for a Thai trip, gets that confirmed in writing before paying the premium. I certainly intend to but then I'm one of nature's cynics!

Here's hoping that Mr Lindley gets the help he needs.

No travel insurance?

Most people, even with travel insurance would have no coverage under the martial law, as that is specified in the exclusions ....

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THE INSURANCE (GENERAL EXCLUSIONS)

Treatment for sickness or injury directly or indirectly caused if you actively engage in, participate in or choose to go to a region where there is: a war, invasion, acts of a foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war has been declared or not), civil war, terrorist acts, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, civil commotion, military or usurped power, martial law, riots or the acts of any lawfully constituted authority, or army, naval or air service operations (whether war has been declared or not),

Have not heard of any insurance claims being being refused because of martial law...

Just checked one of the popular insures, (Flexicover) the phrase "Martial law" is not mentioned once.

Instead they quote the exclusion "Travel to a country, specific area or event which the Foreign and Commonwealth Office

(www.fco.gov.uk) or the World Health Organisation (www.who.int) has advised against all travel or
all but essential travel (this does not apply to Section 1 - Cancellation, curtailment and trip
interruption charges if the date the trip was booked or the policy was purchased incurred before the
date the advice was issued whichever is later)."
Your post is either scaremongering or you are trying justify someone not purchasing medical/travel insurance.
I have no sympathy, this guy should have bought insurance [FULL STOP]

How on earth can this hospital justify a bill of almost a million Baht in less that a week. He is parlayed so it is not like they have performed cutting edge open hear surgery. Flying Dick Turpin not Flying doctor.

More like 2 million baht.

Many insurers refuse to pay bills at this particular hospital or cap the max they'll pay for any aspect of treatment. They deem it the most expensive in the Kingdom & where possible direct customers elsewhere.

True, and if he had been insured the bill would be a lot lower, the insurance companies know how to deal with hospitals, they tell the hospitals what they will pay so the hospitals recoup the money from the uninsured.

Edited by Basil B

First every sympathy to this guy and good luck to his family trying to raise funds to pay for his bills and repatriate him. It sounds as if he had no travel insurance for whatever reason.

However, to correct some of the misinformed comments:

i) Thailand is still under martial law, it is the curfew that were dropped.

ii) UK travel insurance (and I believe other countries too)has a general clause covering claims arising from riots, civil disturbances and countries under martial law. Those clauses preclude ant claims DIRECTLY resulting from these, including martial law. Those clauses have been in for many years and applied for instance during the 2010 Bangkok riots. Any claims during that period not directly resulting from the riots were honoured. Similarly all non directly related claims under martial law would be honoured unless the government specifically advised against travel to a particular destination, which the UK and other governments have in relation to certain provinces in Thailand. Cl;early in this unfortunate guys case if he had travel insurance in place he would have been covered up to the limits specified in his policy.

iii) Those suggesting travel insurance is a scam and advising against it are ignorant fools. Thank God we had travel insurance when two years ago my wife was diagnosed with Breast Cancer during our 5 month stay in Thailand, had to have X Rays, tests, a minor op and eventual repatriation to the UK. Except for the excess on the policy which was deducted we received every penny of the claim including upgrading to Business Class because of her distress and discomfort. We paid in Thailand and were reimbursed within a week of returning home.

I seem to remember reading yesterday that Thailand was one of the best countries to retire too. Cheap health services? Where did that one come from? I believe a mate of mine has been repatriated to the UK., just recently. I was told third party that he had suffered a stroke. I also was told it cost 15,000 GBP.,for air ambulance to get him home. These medical charges that are being quoted seem a bit drastic, but knowing that Thais think all farangs are millionaires, nothing would surprise me. I had 48 hours in a hospital in Udon Thani, with Hep., A., all I was given for treatment was vitamin B intraveneously. My room was only 400 baht a night, very basic, but the bill they came up with was 30,000 + baht, that included some blood tests, but nothing other than that and the vitamin B. So nothing would surprise me about the Lol!

I seem to remember some time ago reading an article on TV., that the Thai government were going to implement compulsory insurance for tourists arriving in Thailand, if they didn't take it out before they left their home country, they would have to pay for it at the Thai airport they arrived at. What happened to that idea? They could charge tourists for insurance say 100GBP., per person when they arrive and as long as they could keep the thieving hands of the government officials that collected the insurance premium from pocketing it, they could put the funds into the Thai government hospital system to bolster it and if some unfortunate tourist needed hopitilisation they could be sent to a government hospital. Just a thought that could give the Thai national health funds some support and also give basic treatment if needed.

Edited by johnj