Buriram nurse scammed out of THB400,000 by American Facebook boyfriend

webfact

Sorry to laugh about it, but it's so funny, she has believed she will get 1.1 M USD valued gift (approx.: 36 M THB). And what about the duty tax?

This was a big greedy dream.

By the way this swindler was Thai (with kasikorn account, so the case is not so difficult for police)

Edited by Loles
  • Like 2

While I truly feel sorry for this woman, i do wish the local media would give the same sort of attention to all the foreigners who are scammed by local women. Sadly, it's no surprise at all that they don't however. sad.png

glad to see this time its not a falang that was <deleted> but a Thai by a Thai.....

somnamnaa.... its all about GREED !!! coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I see. Only Nigerians are scammers in Thailand. What about the British and Russian credit cards mafians? The earlier you constitutionally rip yourself of stereotype the better for the society. Many locals are swindling foreigners of their hard-earned money here everyday. However, may I quickly remind you that only the GREEDY fellas fall victim to the low-life scammers which cuts across all races, religion and nations. Be civil in your comments.

I feel really sorry for these women that fall victims to unscrupulous scammers.

The dream of getting a farang husband and having a better life is still at large in Thailand.

Hope that these scams get better coverage on Thai media to warn future victims.

Till then.....we will be hearing again and again of similar cases.

I have no sympathy for this woman, the same as I have no Sympathy for the Farangs who are scammed every day by Thai Women, it was her choice.

• Like 2

Probably Russian or Nigerian.......It is an industry for them.

I saved a friend of my Thai lady from a scam like this. Unknown to me she'd been chatting/emailing a so-called 'Irishman' for some time. By chance while we were eating lunch one day, he phoned claiming he was at Swampy airport and his passport was being held by immigration. Could she please send him 40k baht to get it back and clear immigration to see her. I asked for the phone and it sounded like an Eastern European accent but it was definitely not an Irishman speaking. As soon as I said 'Well hello Paddy' he put the phone down never to be heard from again.

The same happened to my wife's friend with a little twist that not only his passport but also his (loads of) money was confiscated. The guy was definitely East European.

Edited by garrya

I do not believe a word of it. No Thai person would give a Farang who they have never met, Soo much money. A fat rich Farang would give a cute Thai girl money who they have not met. If it's true then I hope this post goes out to the Thais to read?

There are gullible people everywhere believe it or not.

• Like 1

I would not call this scam, but stupidity on high level. How on earth can someone give away 400,000 baht to someone she/he has never seen or met????

It's hard to feel sympathy.

Its easy to be critical and me personally, I would never ever do it. But it is becoming more common for people nowadays to meet partners on line. She has been talking to him / her for 3 months which is a reasonable length of time.

To some people this is enough and they feel they can trust that person, dont be too critical as this woman is not alone.

The dream of getting a farang husband and having a better life is still at large in Thailand.

Why feel sorry for stupid?

First she was stupid to call someone she does not even know a boyfriend

Second she was stupid to believe someone she does not know to be a boyfriend

Third she was stupid to think someone would give her 1.1 million dollars

Lastly she was stupid to think someone who gave her 1.1 million dollars would not pay $10000 postage .

She then was even more stupid to think postage can cost $10000.

Did she think her bf was sending her a house?

Sorry the lady got you so wound up.

Under the worst of circumstances, most of which we'll never know, I could not feel so badly about anyone losing money to a con artist.

• Like 1

It is unfortunate that these things happen but I have no sympathy for this lady. She was blinded by shear greed from the $1.1 Mill offer. Greed makes people stupid, and in this case she was very stupid.

I have chatted with many girls online that try all sorts of ways to get me to send them money. Usually using sympathy or promising love or sex.

If you are stupid enough to send a stranger from the internet money for any reason then you deserve what you get. It's not like there has not been enough warnings about this in the past.

Dummy up, or shut up and take your licks.

Sum num na

• Like 2

I feel really sorry for these MEN that fall victims to unscrupulous (Thai women) scammers.

The dream of getting a Thai wife and having a better life is still at large.

The irony and justice in this is that greed (probably) allowed her to be scammed by one of her own !!

• Like 1

...sorry....I am not buying this......

...and transferred to a woman's account in Thailand....???

...."....Theparak ended up making seven transfers, spending a total of THB400,000, to a Kasikorn bank account under the name Karnchana Maklang, a typical Thai woman's name."

...makes no sense.....

• Like 1

I was asked to speak to a friend of my wife's who was "engaged" to a "Scotsman." The thing is, he had sent her a computer, gold, jewelry, and quite a bit else, but it was being held up in customs. All she had to do was to send 50,000 baht to a bank account to pay for the import duty, and all would be hers, and he would pay her back as soon as he got the Thailand the next week. She called the number he gave her, and a Thai woman answered claiming to work for customs and told her to send the money to the back account.

I told her the emails I read were not written by a native English speaker, and that this was a scam that has been reported on many times. I showed her an article I'd printed out where a Thai, a FIlipina, and an American gave their stories of being scammed in a similar fashion (the American was out $600,000, and the THai woman's story was almost word-for-word as to what was happening to her.)

FOr our trouble, my wife and another friend were yelled at for trying to ruin her happiness.

Two or three days later, he called and whiel I don't remember all the details, it was something like either he or his son had been in an accident while driving to the airport for him to come to Thailand, and he had to pay his hospital bill, but they wouldn't accept credit cards, so he needed the payment so he could get out and come marry her.

She never paid the money, but to this day, she blames my wife and their other friend for not having a husband today.

• Like 1

A few years back I was looking for True Love on ThaiLoveLinks (now ThaiCupid) and befriended a very nice girl from Prachuap KiriKan. She was 35, divorced, with a daughter at the uni. She came to stay a few times with me in BKK.

She was of the type who is getting on years and anxious to find a last chance at love and companionship. The ideal prey for those Nigerian Lotharios.

Letting her use my computer I saw a few of these tricksters at work on her. Poor girl, they were on to her !!

One was a handsome widower white South African with a young preteen boy who desperately needed a new mother (nice picture of both !!). Another was sending a valuable parcel gift to her, one was staying in a 5* hotel in Pattaya (??), one was providing a scan of his e-airline ticket from Lagos to LHR to show that he was on his way to Thailand (???). I must say that their yarns were somewhat confusing to me and her but obviously geared to inspire affection/love and later go in for the financial kill.

I told her to be careful about tricksters and never ever to send money to anybody.

She eventually met a very decent German guy on TLL and is now living in Germany married with him.

There's an old saying that you can't cheat an honest man (woman in this case) and it's true. The fact that she's more worried about the money than her poor broken heart tells us all we need to know about her take on the relationship. She may not have been dishonest as such but was obviously driven by greed and the hope of a much bigger pay off and it back fired spectacularly.

Of course it's the same with sex tourists, and sleazy old guys who try to fool themselves that a 25 year old prostitute really loves them and them alone, and that once she has had the big wedding, the gold, the car and the house they will live happily ever after and he will have a woman he couldn't dream of impressing and couldn't afford to buy back home.

Both are deluding themselves because they desperately want to believe it. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, Thai, farang or other to lose their life savings but if you're going to play such a foolish game you have to live with the consequences.

• Like 1