Buriram nurse scammed out of THB400,000 by American Facebook boyfriend

webfact

It sounds to me that the whole story is made up. Looking at the FB messages they are so lame that only a complete idiot would fall for them. If it is made up she is an 'attention whore" or just another Thai woman scamming another Thai woman. I don't think there was any falang involved at all if you look at the poor grammar used by the so-called falang scammer.

• Like 1

While I truly feel sorry for this woman, i do wish the local media would give the same sort of attention to all the foreigners who are scammed by local women. Sadly, it's no surprise at all that they don't however. sad.png

Yeah, when someone tries to report it, the police give a answer that is 'highly inappropriate and indicative of cold hearts and immature mentalities.'

Anyone know how a nurse in Buriram gets 400,000 baht in the 1st place??

This likely represents many years of saving. It is not inconceivable for her to save 5,000 baht per month, or 60,000 baht per year. Hence, potentially 7+ years of meticulous saving down the tubes. If so, it is a devastating experience for anyone.

Of course it's the same with sex tourists, and sleazy old guys who try to fool themselves that a 25 year old prostitute really loves them and them alone, and that once she has had the big wedding, the gold, the car and the house they will live happily ever after and he will have a woman he couldn't dream of impressing and couldn't afford to buy back home.

Why pick on old guys,

A very cute 24yo hooker in CR had 3 or 4 young backpacker type Euro guys sending her 20k a month each.

She laughed so hard at her story, she fell off the bed.

• Like 1

Theparak ended up making seven transfers, spending a total of THB400,000, to a Kasikorn bank account under the name Karnchana Maklang, a typical Thai woman's name.

It seems like she got scammed by a Thai lady in USA

Not neccessarily. I have seen this crime before where a western african criminal uses a fake name of white westerners that appear to be respectable and trustworthy in the eyes of the victim. They pay a poor peasant to open a bank account under their name to use as the receiving account. Then some excuse for needing money transfered. The scammers never use their own names and make it very difficult for the victim to trace the crime back to them. Kamchana could be charged for money laundering and probably should be, but most likely she has no clue what this account was used for.

The chances are this was an African and not an American. And they used another local thai's bank account because it's easier to facilitate transfer as many of the international transfer agent are now warning all of their customer about this crime.

Edited by Time Traveller

Anyone know how a nurse in Buriram gets 400,000 baht in the 1st place??

This likely represents many years of saving. It is not inconceivable for her to save 5,000 baht per month, or 60,000 baht per year. Hence, potentially 7+ years of meticulous saving down the tubes. If so, it is a devastating experience for anyone.

Just to point out repayments on a 400k home loan are about 3,000 bht a month.

Entirely doable for a nurse.

Anyone use beetalk? They are full of this bs also. They take pictures of models and guys fall for it, and they initiate talks also. I guess it happens with the women too lol. Never ever take these things seriously. Can't even count the number of random adds from gorgeous girls with cleavage spilling out. Guess WHAT?! The facebook was created on the same day, ring a bell?!

I'm waiting for "The shoe's on the other foot now" comments!!! whistling.gif

Yeah, me too. Well, here goes. Don't you think it's about time scenario goes the other way around? Lonely men and women everywhere will grasp at a chance for love; naive, gullible, stupid, ignorant, or just hopeful, what a shame.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I feel really sorry for these women that fall victims to unscrupulous scammers.
The dream of getting a farang husband and having a better life is still at large in Thailand.
Hope that these scams get better coverage on Thai media to warn future victims.
Till then.....we will be hearing again and again of similar cases.

Why feel sorry for stupid?

First she was stupid to call someone she does not even know a boyfriend

Second she was stupid to believe someone she does not know to be a boyfriend

Third she was stupid to think someone would give her 1.1 million dollars

Lastly she was stupid to think someone who gave her 1.1 million dollars would not pay $10000 postage .

She then was even more stupid to think postage can cost $10000.

Did she think her bf was sending her a house?

Very gullible...probably, naive - almost certainly.

But stupid, well that just sounds nasty.

Lets not be too harsh on her. There are many Europeans who have been conned in similar operations. This just makes her human. I feel sorry for her and I hope the person who conned her regrets his actions (probably wont though)

• Like 1

I feel sorry for her, but the nurse has studied for a number of years, how ignorant can you get to trust somebody you don't know and that on FB.

When mortgaging land which is not yours the bank will ask a lot of questions.

There is more to the story than you publicize mr. editor.

I'm waiting for "The shoe's on the other foot now" comments!!! whistling.gif

Yea, and they would be highly inappropriate and indicative of cold hearts and immature mentalities.

I feel sad for the woman. 400k is an awful lot of cash for a Thai nurse to lose. Hope the guy gets in a head-on with a telephone pole on the way to the bank.

Does Facebook not cooperate in fraud investigations? Anybody have advice how she could pursue such a process?

facebook might help if the police went to them.....burned for a few thousand baht transfer fee 7 times? Saw it happen here to a retired Norwegian married to a Thai. He had a real nice pension, really nice, but was a bit greedy for the UK Lottery for which he did NOT buy a ticket, over and over just like this lady. Naive, cannot admit own error.....sad but happens all too often. When the deal is too good to be true, it is NOT true.

Could we stop the BS about the "poor unfortunate woman", please? Greed, superficiality and stupidity lead to loss of money in most such cases as well as in this particular case. Thousands of foreign men, who think they are THE ONE to their beloved "Nok", "Goong", "Plaa", "Pang", whatever, are tricked into losing millions day by day, with those girls each are playing several other "Johns", "Robs", "Petes", "Franks", and "Pauls" at the same time like slot machines... What goes around, comes around!

Like we foreigners are told daily by Thais when it comes to complaining about double standards, overcharging, national park fees, the legal 49% foreign / 51% Thai business scam, being ripped off by Thais daily, etc...: "Stop whining, and go away if you don't like being taken advantage of!"

I believe this applies as well to the nurse from Buriram!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why pick on old guys,
A very cute 24yo hooker in CR had 3 or 4 young backpacker type Euro guys sending her 20k a month each.
She laughed so hard at her story, she fell off the bed.

Indeed, there are suckers of all ages. Though a backpacker of a similar age who thought he had a holiday romance might have a little more justification in thinking that there is some sort of genuine relationship. Why they carried on sending her significant amounts of money when they had (presumably?) moved on is beyond me.

Could we stop the BS about the "poor unfortunate woman", please? Greed, superficiality and stupidity lead to loss of money in most such cases as well as in this particular case. Thousands of foreign men, who think they are THE ONE to their beloved "Nok", "Goong", "Plaa", "Pang", whatever, are tricked into losing millions day by day, with those girls each are playing several other "Johns", "Robs", "Petes", "Franks", and "Pauls" at the same time like slot machines... What goes around, comes around!

Like we foreigners are told daily by Thais when it comes to complaining about double standards, overcharging, national park fees, the legal 49% foreign / 51% Thai business scam, being ripped off by Thais daily, etc...: "Stop whining, and go away if you don't like being taken advantage of!"

Well put,

• Like 1

The heading is misleading and should read ,

' Buriram nurse scammed out of THB400,000 by Thai woman posing as American Facebook boyfriend '

This is more accurate according to the story published.

I think you're wrong. The scammer would have used another person's bank account to receive the funds. They never ever use their own names to avoid linking the crime back to them.

She was scammed by another Thai that makes my day, even the facebook replies if you are educated enough can see that it is written by someone who's English is not that good, No I don't feel no sorrow at all, just makes good reading

Asian women have been scamming for years........sad thing is 100 's of Westerners have had this happen ....do we ever hear of them....not often because most are too ashamed to report. I attribute it to stupidity to be so nieve as to trust someone sight unseen as was the case with the Lady.

While I truly feel sorry for this woman, i do wish the local media would give the same sort of attention to all the foreigners who are scammed by local women. Sadly, it's no surprise at all that they don't however. sad.png

Because if you come from the West one hopes that you are a bit more worldly wise and have had an education.

If you are so stupid and get scammed by a local woman- that is your fault- Swampy has a vast warehouse of brains that were deposited on arrival.

I also feel sorry for this woman, it seems surprisingly common that people are sucked into these scams.

Hate to say it does sound a bit like a boiler room scam very popular in a certain country

Edited by peterb17

Yeah, perhaps there's an element of greed here since the cover story she was given was that she had to pay shipping/handling charges for a $1million+ gift.

But then, how do you react to all those male pensioners here that get scammed by pretty-young-things? They're fleeced, not because of monetary greed, but because of 'sexual greed' (aka lust), yet we typically express sympathy for them and disparage the woman. Hmmm...

I'm waiting for "The shoe's on the other foot now" comments!!! alt=whistling.gif>

As someone with a soon to be ex-thai wife who quite litterally gave away over 1million baht, due to being a moron, I have no sympathy what so ever. It makes me feel a bit better that this woman appears to be dumber than my wife, although she didn't lose quite so much.

• Like 1

one born every minute.

Why say that? The poor sod has a good heart,unlike you.

Why mock her? you sit there behind your desktop, having a lovely time mocking poor souls make a mistake

But I guess your the Mr perfect.

• Like 2

Bit of an unfortunate picture. Looks like even though she has been plugged in (i can see the cable coming from her neck) her system hasn't quite booted up yet leaving her head back in a slightly vacant gape mode.

Just calls em as I sees em.